Married to Dominicana. Obtaining DR Citizenship.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I am married to a Dominicana and never applied for residency as I travel 80% of my life. Traveled would be more accurate. I now will likely travel far less and heard that becoming citizen is faster and easier since I am married to a citizen?

Should I be looking for a lawyer" Suggestions? Do it myself?

Thanks in advance!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
While it is possible to do it yourself, if at all possible and it is within your means, let a lawyer develop the ulcer and save yourself from enduring all of the aggravation yourself.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am doing it myself and while cheaper and possible, yes it is very aggravating. There is a good lawyer in Santiago that I would use if I decided on using a lawyer.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Done it... Patience, it takes a while... But mine was after 10+years of legal residency...

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
He needs residency first even though he is married ? I believe or that is what I was told am I correct ?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
The link with all of the requirements for different types of naturalization is here.
Consultor?a Juridica - NATURALIZACIONES
The link on what you need for a foreign man married to a Dominican woman is here
http://www.seip.gob.do/Portals/0/do...on/REQUISITOS POR MATRIMONIO PARA HOMBRE1.pdf

You really do not need a lawyer if you follow exactly what it says. If you need any more information or help please feel free to pm me

Matilda
He needs a lawyer who can bribe the right people in MIP to do it fast. If he has the right lawyer, he can do it in less than 1 year. If he decides to do it himself, it may take 4 years.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Mine took 2 months and they say now another 6 to wait for the DNI, DNCD and Interpol checks. We will see.

Matilda

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Mine took 2 months and they say now another 6 to wait for the DNI, DNCD and Interpol checks. We will see.

Matilda

Typical thing there. If your lawyer did not pay the right person there, they will tell you that there is still no answer from Interpol after 6 months, then 1 year, etc. If your lawyer paid to the right person, answers from all special agencies magically come in 2 weeks.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Typical thing there. If your lawyer did not pay the right person there, they will tell you that there is still no answer from Interpol after 6 months, then 1 year, etc. If your lawyer paid to the right person, answers from all special agencies magically come in 2 weeks.

Not true. My sister had a very good lawyer when she went for her deslinde/title(house) and she
was willing to pay extra to someone in the courts to speed up the process and the lawyer
informed her that they will not accept bribes, to be patient and wait. She got it but was not able
to get as quickly as she wanted to.

Not everyone in the DR accepts bribes. Don't always assume that.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Not true. My sister had a very good lawyer when she went for her deslinde/title(house) and she was willing
to pay extra to someone in the courts to speed up the process and the lawyer informed her that
they will not accept bribes, to be patient and wait. She got it but was not able to get it as quickly
as she wanted to.

Not everyone in the DR accepts bribes. Don't always assume that.
We are talking about naturalization process in MIP. And I know lawyers who do that, as well as people who work there.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
We are talking about naturalization process in MIP. And I know lawyers who do that, as well as people who work there.

It doesn't matter what it's for, I was talking in general. Many have the misconception that everyone
in the DR will accept bribes.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
It doesn't matter what it's for, I was talking in general. Many have the misconception that everyone
in the DR will accept bribes.
This thread is about Naturalization, not about DR in general. Of course they don't have a sign "we accept bribes" on their entrance door. But once again, if you have the right lawyer, the process can be much faster.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I will say what I want to in this thread as long as it has to do with courts, naturalization, lawyers,etc

You are not a Mod.

Once again, since this thread is about Naturalization, I was talking about the process at MIP, not about DR in general. And as I said before, it's a typical thing there (as well as at the Immigration) that they say that Interpol checks take a lot of time, not ready yet, maybe in next 6 monts, etc. But if your lawyer bribed the right person there, the whole process from the first visit to the point when you have the resolution and envelopes with documents needed to get your new passport and cedula and birth certificate, can take less than 6 months. On the other hand, I know a person who did it without a lawyer and it took 4 years.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Once again, since this thread is about Naturalization, I was talking about the process at MIP, not about DR in general. And as I said before, it's a typical thing there (as well as at the Immigration) that they say that Interpol checks take a lot of time, not ready yet, maybe in next 6 monts, etc. But if your lawyer bribed the right person there, the whole process from the first visit to the point when you have the resolution and envelopes with documents needed to get your new passport and cedula and birth certificate, can take less than 6 months. On the other hand, I know a person who did it without a lawyer and it took 4 years.

And once again I am informing you that not everyone will accept bribes NO MATTER if you have the best
lawyer be it for naturalization or other matters, if in the courts they do not accept bribes
having the best lawyer will not mean a thing.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
And once again I am informing you that not everyone will accept bribes NO MATTER if you have the best
lawyer be it for naturalization or other matters, if in the courts they do not accept bribes
having the best lawyer will not mean a thing.
I went thru this process myself some years ago, I know those people and lawyers. I know how much they are asking and for what exactly, I just will not post it here. Some of my friends got their Dominican citizenship too, with the same lawyers. So I know what I am talking about.

What is the point to inform me that not everyone will accept bribes in DR? What the naturalization process has to do with deslinde process or courts?

Like another poster wrote in another thread, "everybody is gay in DR if you pay enough". Think about it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Every public official in the DR will accept money to do their job faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some just need a bigger "PUSH"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
About 10 years ago, an old DR government official died poor.
The newspapers said that was the only way everyone knew he was an honest man!!!!!!!!!!!

What the DR desparetly needs is some "Statesmen" not just more "POLITICOS"!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

During the "Hipolito" government, an American friend of mine got, DR citizenship, with a DR passport, a voting cedula, and a pistol permit for 26,000 pesos.
He spoke zero espanol.
When he was tested about DR history, his lawyer asked him the questions in English, the answers to which my friend knew none, then answered the questions for my friend in spanish.
Took about 1 week for EVERYTHING!!!!