Obsertation from the Frontier: Tainos

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Recently I came across an old 2003 thread in DR Debates about the Taino culture that had been reopened and posted the following book information. Per a email request that I received I am reposting the information on these two ( 2 ) books in my library here on the Living Forum for anyone who might be interested.

The TAINOS
The Rise and Decline of the People Who Greeted Columbus

Author: Irving Rouse
Yale University Press
New Haven and London

ISBN: 0-300-05696-6

And a Great Coffee Table Book

TAINO
Pre-Columbian Art and Culture from the Caribbean

The Monacelli Press, Inc. and El Museo del Barrio

ISBN: 1-885254-82-2

This one my mother, while she was alive, liked giving as a present with a note saying " her son was living there ".

kFrancisco de Cabral

May 29, 2006
One of the things I've been wondering is where the population centers were in the Colombian era....
More and more, archaeologist are thinking were far more indigenous ppl in the Americas than they thought even 20 years ago.

Aug 6, 2006
It is normal for any population of animals to increase to the maximum possible number. Factors like predators, diseases, natural disasters (hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes) can limit the population.
It is likely that Hispaniola was populated several thousand years before the Spanish arrived, so the population had probably leveled off by then. When the first Europeans arrived, there were always epidemics of diseases that the Indians had no immunity to, so by the time colonization started, the population had been reduced.

Massachusetts had a major epidemic before the Pilgrims arrived. They say that the Indian population of Mexico was reduced by over half shortly after Cortez arrived.

The best places were usually along rivers near fertile ground, and along the coast where fishing was good.