sweet secret of sosua

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
interesting article in diario libre today contemplating the image of sosua as a sexual destination, its jewish origins and possible change of the perception of sosua in the future. the author is critical of the lack of planning and strategy in altering this image by authorities so far. he discusses various ideas to market sosua as a destination for those seeking adventures in gastronomy, music or history.

Dulce secreto de Sos?a - DiarioLibre.com

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Yes, interesting. But it somehow always makes me nervous when they start yipping about "the international Jewish community."We're more fractious than that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Yes, interesting. But it somehow always makes me nervous when they start yipping about "the international Jewish community."We're more fractious than that.

i visited jewish museum, synagogue and cemetery only recently, maybe 2 months ago. i found it very interesting. the museum is tiny but it could easily be extended. i am sure there are many more photos from the era. i would also love to see a juxtaposition of pictures of sosua then/now and the settlers then/later. add more objects from the 40's and 50's, not necessarily used by the settlers, just authentic old junk: typewriters, telephones, coffee grinders, tools and so on. this could be obtained fairly easily and make the museum bigger and much more interesting.

the synagogue is also well worth seeing but there is no guide who can tell its history or explain the setup and background to non-jewish visitors. the cemetery is small but very pretty. it is closed, thou. again, missed opportunity in my opinion. there are quite a few of very old, beautiful graves and the place is very peaceful.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you can pay for sex in any city in the world, probably any town in the world - a sexual destination would be somewhere where you get it for free - hedonism springs to mind

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sex destination is where the merchandise is cheap and plentiful. sosua fits that bill.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Graveyards Compared

... the cemetery is small but very pretty. (...) there are quite a few of very old, beautiful graves and the place is very peaceful.

When young and travelling to other countries I always visited a graveyard there.
(I don't like to do that any more for obvious reasons.)
Cemetaries tell a lot about the societies.

But, tell me, how is the Dominican cemetary in comparison?

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
But, tell me, how is the Dominican cemetary in comparison?

i love visiting cemeteries too. i take our visitors to cemetery in POP city centre. it's an interesting one for many europeans as we normally do not have tomb/mausoleum, just regular earth burial. anyways, in DR i have only seen the graveyard in POP and santiago. i like them both although they are a bit messy, especially POP with earthquake damage. it's also normal to see dogs and chickens wander around. i know that there are many cemeteries in DR in bad shape with destroyed tombs and space used for selling drugs/sex. but seeing such abandonment is not my personal experience.

jewish cemetery in sosua is locked up. it is well maintained thou so clearly effort is made to keep it looking decent.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Cemeteries need to be locked up as all the occupants are DYING to get out...couldn't resist.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
"Gastronomy , music and history" .....lmao ...Just O.K average food, Rap Music blaring from bars and discos and a history of working chicas, It is what it is, and I love it