Warning - inline skater active in Santo Domingo

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I heard several reports of people almost being assaulted by a guy on inline skates plus another guy on a motorcycle. Apparently active near Av. Italia in Santo Domingo. The guy on skates will by skating around cars trying which door he can open and enter your car.

There is a guy on a motorcycle ready to let him escape if might get caught. Keep your doors locked while driving.

Denuncian intento de atraco por asaltante en patines en avenida Italia con Jos? Contreras

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That intersection gets congested at times, I know that area well. I pictured Jose Contreras and Italia intersection nearer to Anacaonda, this photo is further down Italia towards Independencia - even busier there. Jose Contreras zigzags down Italia there.

Thanks for the heads up.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Hopefully he will get run over by a bus. Nothing like fresh road kill to solve the problem.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I remember about 10 years ago I was driving my Dodge Ram on Av. Maximo Gomez in SD, late at night, the street was almost empty, no cars, I looked at my left mirror and I saw a black face there... WTF? that was a roller guy, young kid, he was just behind the cabin, I did not noticed when he hooked up to my truck... But since I had no idea if it's just a roller kid or maybe he has a gun, I just hit the brake pedal to the floor. The guy was flying in the air like a circus acrobat. I don't know how many bones he broke, I just left quickly :)

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
skating around cars trying which door he can open and enter your car.

There is a guy on a motorcycle ready to let him escape if might get caught.

Usually it's just 2 guys on a moto in those express atracos. A skater guy is something new.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
First thing you should do is lock your door when you get in your car!!!!!

Unfortunately, this will not help if they have a gun and if they really want your money or smartphone or something else. They just shoot thru the glass or thru the door if you don't open it, or they shoot right away.. The armored car is the only solution, expensive but it's worth it.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
or build a steel box and bolt it down on the passenger side so you can put your phone wallet and id in there

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Unfortunately, this will not help if they have a gun and if they really want your money or smartphone or something else. They just shoot thru the glass or thru the door if you don't open it, or they shoot right away.. The armored car is the only solution, expensive but it's worth it.

The only time I felt threatened to be assaulted was when driving on the bridge from Las Americas to the city (Juan Bosch?) in a traffic jam. Two guys on a motorcycle knocking my closed window. I ignored them and sped up a little, in the meantime I hid the phone I had in my hands. The third time they knocked my window I had a better look at them and noticed the one in the back was holding one hand on his belt buckle and the other hand covering it, so I realized they might be wanting to rob me.
I left some space between me and the cars in front of me to have some room to maneuver, but they took off, I guess because they noticed my phone was tucked away, and there wouldn't be any express atraco. I suppose that if Id have opened my window in an impulse they'd stick a gun inside and demand my phone.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I did not care a lot about such things in the past here, but since last year it was a lot of express atracos in SD, I decided that DR is now on the list of countries like Mexico or Brazil where an armored vehicle is a must. Finally I got an armored SUV, and now I don't f@cking care about any chimps on motos next to my car.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
or build a steel box and bolt it down on the passenger side so you can put your phone wallet and id in there

I have a steel safe box with the code lock installed in the central console, under the armrest. It's bolted to the floor of the car from inside the box, so it's safe to leave the gun in the car if I go to the place where guns are not permitted. It also helps in cabanas, I put my gun, wallet, phone etc to that safe box and close it.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I did not care a lot about such things in the past here, but since last year it was a lot of express atracos in SD, I decided that DR is now on the list of countries like Mexico or Brazil where an armored vehicle is a must. Finally I got an armored SUV, and now I don't f@cking care about any chimps on motos next to my car.

I have a steel safe box with the code lock installed in the central console, under the armrest. It's bolted to the floor of the car from inside the box, so it's safe to leave the gun in the car if I go to the place where guns are not permitted. Also it helps in cabanas, I put my gun, wallet, phone etc to that safe box and close it.

Your life sounds like fun :smoke:

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Your life sounds like fun :smoke:
Why? For me it sounds like fun when somebody put steel bars on his windows, and his house or apartment looks like a private prison. I never installed these things, since it's always possible to find an apartment where you don't have to install it.

But regarding an armored vehicle, why not? yes, there are some issues like that you can't roll down windows completely, it's more heavy, consumes a lot of gas, but it's better than a bullet in your head.

And I always had a safe box in all of my vehicles. Takes one day to install, but then I don't have to complain on DR1 that the f@cking puta stole all my stuff in cabana.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I'll be surprised if this continues for long. Just a matter of time before the animals start stoning to death every kid on inline skates. Maybe 4 or 5 innocent people will be lynched before the real lad gets it. Probably shot in the end which is better than public execution or execution by public I suppose.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I dunno, I can't stop giggling that some people actually move through choice to a place where they feel they need an armoured car and a safe in the amoured car. I think when most people get to that stage of paranoia they have already been long gone.

As Aida said, your life sounds like a real riot, lol.:nervous:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I actually thought you were kidding about your armored car... Well whatever works for you!

I'm not sure why I would move to a country where I would be so scared I think I need to buy an armored car and build a safety box in my vehicle.

I put my phone in the central console if I think about it (almost never) and I don't go to caba?as.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
JDJonce, I fully agree with you that when I carry the gun, I have a risk to be killed in order to take my gun. Yes, YOU ARE RIGHT. This was one of the reasons why I decided to buy an armored car, now I don't take my gun sometimes with me, since even if somebody start to shoot at me while I am in the car, I don't have to shoot back.

I am just sharing my experience. How many times people discussed security cams, barbed wire, steel bars on windows, etc? I don't have any of this, I am not paranoid. I realize that here, in DR, if you drive your own car, you have more risk when if you walk or use carro publico or taxi. Sometimes I decide to walk, I leave everything at home and I walk like that, no gun, no wallet, no phone, no money, nothing, empty pockets... but when you drive your car, you have more risk. Remember Canadian guy who was shot thru the door of his car last year on the Scotia Bank's parking? I use the same branch of Scotia Bank, and I don't want to be shot there like that guy when I am in my car.

But on the other hand, I live on the 10th floor, I have floor?to?ceiling windows, and I can't imagine steel bars on it. Every person has his own security priorities. I am just sharing mine.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I'm not sure why I would move to a country where I would be so scared I think I need to buy an armored car and build a safety box in my vehicle.

I put my phone in the central console if I think about it (almost never) and I don't go to caba?as.

I am not scared at all. But I don't want to be scared if I stop on a red light and a chimp on a moto, or a scater chimp points his gun on me. If this can be prevented, why not?

And, why the hell you moved here if you don't go to cabanas? :))