UK to North Coast or SDQ

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thomson flies just once a week to POP as I see it.... and the Jan 6 return is out of the question .

My daughter is trying to fly for 2 weeks at Christmas, returning by New Year's to UK.

Without circumventing the globe, anybody have any suggestions.?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thomson flies just once a week to POP as I see it.... and the Jan 6 return is out of the question .

My daughter is trying to fly for 2 weeks at Christmas, returning by New Year's to UK.

Without circumventing the globe, anybody have any suggestions.?

WW believe you are Cabrera?

London - New York - El Catey (using Jet Blue which I hope still flies in 3 times a week from JFK.)

El Catey is nearer Cabrera than PoP

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
JB flies only twice Wednesday and Saturday to El Catey (Wednesdays and Saturdays).
A long trip but a possibility.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I hope aren't reduced to that option.... I have that one in my head....

also UK - MIA - POP

Yes ju, AZS is an hour, POP is 80 minutes from Cabrera...
either suits me but I prefer AZS

Google flights throws up a Toronto change - overnight sometimes....yuk

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
JB flies only twice Wednesday and Saturday to El Catey (Wednesdays and Saturdays).
A long trip but a possibility.

Thinking more the west bound leg requires an overnight in NY but the connections on the east bound journey would be good. So agreed not so good overall even if LGW is more hassle to get to for all but those in the SE UK.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Chunnel to Paris

PAR - AZS or SDQ might work

The NYC is a good one... have an apartment there, sister there , friends there

Spend a day or two and fly on.

The MIA is a night --- we did it with Virgin.... eastbound is a dream.... return = not so good

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Eurowings have a flight out from Man into Puj and return, going out on 12 Dec and returning 28th Dec. I know you wanted PoP or SDQ but for the price at Christmas it's unbeatable. 1hr 25min layover in Cologne. ?575 all in.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
PUJ will be about 5 hrs each driving for me.... so makes it prohibitive , really.

PUJ is the best for the European flights., I guess.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
You obviously know she can fly out of london into pop with BA and Airberlin, out on 12 dec, return on 28th for ?610 with a 12 hour lay over in Munich? You're not gunna get much better than that at xmas.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
She's ducking the 12 hr layover....

We're still at the whining stage..... she come down to earth soon.

This is the one who lived in Australia...
Christmas was thru LAX to NYC..... JetBlue to AZS and back again , same route...

A few days in NYC each way..... whew!

I'm voting Paris....

Actually, the flights (other than Thomson) aren't that easy

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I seem to remember searching for flight for your daughter last year, or the year before, or both. Is she aware of the unseen man hours it takes to get her to you each year?:glasses:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
it's a sham.....

I'm the dope...

Her?
Istanbul for Easter, Iceland..... globetrotter

She uses Skyscanner and is not liking the results....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you also have an option to connect to dusseldorf/frankfurt/munich and fly with air europa, air berlin or condor. i listed all three cities in germany because the connecting hub depends on the time of the year, day of the week and airline.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
There are other options into El Catey from Canada and some arrive late so a connection from London would work.

Would also add that Thompson used to fly into El Catey at peak times direct from LGW. UK summer holidays and Christmas in the past with onward flight to PUJ. So do check with them. My son came on one of these flights two years back.

The 3 Bahia Principe hotels were on Thompsons package holiday lists.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gracias ju10

That's a good tip.... Samana packages

I know the Canada./AZS situation,,,, I use it regularly... June 27 will be next

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
As someone who regularly does London to Santo Domingo, I would suggest she does the direct Gatwick to Punta Cana on BA, get a cheap hotel overnight (I think that flight lands quite late in December in any case), and then makes the journey from PUJ to the capital and then on to Puerto Plata by road. There are now quite a few cheap hotels in Punta Cana and the road trip the next day is going to take about 6 hours, which beats the layover and the hassle of changing flights. Anything involving US immigration at Christmas is going to be a nightmare, so anything involving changing in New York or Miami wouldn't be good in my view.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
She's ducking the 12 hr layover....

We're still at the whining stage..... she come down to earth soon.

This is the one who lived in Australia...
Christmas was thru LAX to NYC..... JetBlue to AZS and back again , same route...

A few days in NYC each way..... whew!

I'm voting Paris....

Actually, the flights (other than Thomson) aren't that easy

I could be wrong WW but I don't think there are flights from Paris anymore to AZS. Air France flies to SDQ and XL airways to PUJ. I know of people in LT who flies from Brussels as they have cheaper lowcost airlines (of course the name escapes me at the moment) which flies to SDQ.