Just registered and wanted to say hello.

WOP_Brian

Jun 16, 2015
I have been lurking here for some time now and wanted to say hello. I have been on many 14 day AI vacations and I am nearing retirement age and was thinking of taking long vacations here with a view to settling along the coast near El Cortecito.

Regards

Brian

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Welcome.

You are familiar with the hot spot in DR but not DR yet.

It is a very diverse place and from Bavaro to the extreme North West and South West is perhaps 8 hours by car and also North East( Samana) is maybe 6 hours. I implore you to try and travel around see so much of interest and avoid the 'honey pots' and see the real DR.

Also ignore at times the negativity of this forum and have a positive outlook. The humor and supposed humor can be wicked and very sarcastic even nasty too.

The country has plenty of problems and can drive one insane at times, but if you have vitality and are flexible you will find all that you want here.

I chose this country over Malaysia, Indonesia, Laos and Thailand as a potential affordable retirement venue and don't regret it one bit. It offers more for modest folk compared to all other Caribbean Islands if you are 'alive'.

Final point. Don't get into a situation where you live in a bubble. Very easy to do that here because of language.

WOP_Brian

Jun 16, 2015
Thanks for the warm welcome. I have not noticed negativity when browsing, but I suppose it is all down to the state of one's mind.

I also browse Trip Advisor and see the odd post about diseases spread by the mosquito. I have not been concerned around the A I resort area, but is there a problem inland? If so what precautions do I need to take?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
welcome to DR1, Brian.
precautions "inland"/outside of the heaviliest poison spraying AI Resorts are simply that you use Bugspray.
also, i would never spend a evening on the Rnach in Shorts or alikes, long pants and maybe even long sleeves are a great 1st basic precaution to protect against things spread around by some flying buggers.
enjoy your longer vacays

Mike

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Thanks for the warm welcome. I have not noticed negativity when browsing, but I suppose it is all down to the state of one's mind.

I also browse Trip Advisor and see the odd post about diseases spread by the mosquito. I have not been concerned around the A I resort area, but is there a problem inland? If so what precautions do I need to take?

Eh?
Anyway, wilkommen, Brian, be careful of the deep end of the pool.

WOP_Brian

Jun 16, 2015
welcome to DR1, Brian.
precautions "inland"/outside of the heaviliest poison spraying AI Resorts are simply that you use Bugspray.
also, i would never spend a evening on the Rnach in Shorts or alikes, long pants and maybe even long sleeves are a great 1st basic precaution to protect against things spread around by some flying buggers.
enjoy your longer vacays

Mike

Thanks Mike

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Welcome Brian. I am Canadian and to escape winters I spend 3-4 months on the north coast. If you bring a sense of humour and a thick skin you ill pick up a lot of information on this site. Some of it might even be useful. Good luck.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

lots of off. ha ha ha. usual stuff: mosquito net used at night, long pants in the evenings , fans and air con to avoid bites when you are resting/asleep and lots of repellent.