Lawyers Remuneration in the DR

anwaltsrechtorg

Jan 7, 2002
www.anwaltsrecht.org
I am conducting some scientific research on lawyer's remuneration. As our organisation is based in Europe, we are focusing on the European jurisdiction, but are also including some Latin American contries. We have, so far, looked into Brazil, Chile, Argentina and Costa Rica and I'd like to add the DR. So here are my questions:

What is the legal framework that governs the legal profession in general and the remuneration in particular ? A Code of Procedure, a "Legal Profession Act", a "Code of Ethics" by the Bar Association (can you give titles and citations) ?

What are the principles how remuneration is calculated - what factors are taken into consideration and in how far have these principles statutory force ?

To what extent is output-based remuneration allowed - i.e. American-style contingency fees or UK-stlye conditional fees (i.e. "no win, no fee, however this fee is calculated).

If there are alternative forms of remuneration available, what is the most common form ?

If input-based remuneration (hourly billing) is common, what is the average rate charged ?

Thanks for you help.

M. Kilian
www.anwaltsrecht.org

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Contact me directly if you wish our firm to act as your local consultant on this. Your requirements for a comprehensive answer to your query go beyong the normal parameters of this board.

gup

Jul 6, 2005
Lawyer Fees

My experience is that D.R. lawers are most reluctant to quote an estimated fee in advance. The ask for front money but will not articulate or break down their services on an hourly or other identiiable basis. The client has no way of knowing the attornry's input, and what he paid for the the result. Usually, the next step is for more retainer without an accounting of what has been done or what will be done in the future,

This system is wide open for abuse. Are no no rules of professional ethics governing thee practices ?

Gup

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As Mr Guzman has said

If you want me and my 43 years of experience here to help you out, please contact me directly.

This is a real research project and therefore must be funded properly.

HB