Dogs on Sosua Beach

amordecanada

Jul 19, 2014
A friend of mine heard all dogs were being removed from Sosua beach due to tourist complaints. He also heard that he would not be able to bring his dogs to the beach. Has anyone heard anything about this? He is planning on returning to Sosua but is reconsidering if he cannot bring his dog to the beach

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Always something planned for the dogs of Sosua beach. If your dogs on a lead I see no issue. It's not a place to have them run round though is it, or is it that empty these days it is.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
The last time I was there I read a new sign at the entrance that had some rules and one of them was no domestic animals. E.g. don't bring your pets (even if they are on a leash I guess). OK the sign may not be that new as I don't care much for that beach and don't get there often. But that particular rule surprised me. I have never seen that observed or enforced on Sosua Beach. And it wasn't being observed or enforced that day with the nice new sign there either. Personally I don't mind the pets on the beach as long as they are under control.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
They were there yesterday, although the Haitians seemed nervous about something. Theres a big no sign but no one can read so it does not matter much. Life goes on and we aint changin nothing so get used to it like it is.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
I always wonder who these tourists are that complain about the dogs on the beach. I'm a tourist and I go to Sosua beach, and I've never heard other tourist complain about them. I never heard complaints about beach dogs on my trips to Mexico or Costa Rica either. Good grief, there was a beach in Costa Rica where locals and tourists fed a wild baby beach pig and it ran around like a dog and no one cared.

Beach dogs seem to have their own agenda. Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those people that want to treat a dog as a person, so I don't mess with them or feed them, and they don't approach me.

Of all the things that Sosua could worry about affecting tourists, dogs seems to be the least of concern to me. Sponsoring or subsidizing shows/events, making town more pedestrian friendly, improving street lights in some areas, increasing English speaking police and services, addressing the panhandling and solicitation, etc. would all be more impactful to me.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I have seen some lovely purebred leggy dogs rented by our tourists and I think they add to the view and general ambiance of our beautiful beach scene.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I always wonder who these tourists are that complain about the dogs on the beach. I'm a tourist and I go to Sosua beach, and I've never heard other tourist complain about them. I never heard complaints about beach dogs on my trips to Mexico or Costa Rica either. Good grief, there was a beach in Costa Rica where locals and tourists fed a wild baby beach pig and it ran around like a dog and no one cared.

Beach dogs seem to have their own agenda. Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those people that want to treat a dog as a person, so I don't mess with them or feed them, and they don't approach me.

Of all the things that Sosua could worry about affecting tourists, dogs seems to be the least of concern to me. Sponsoring or subsidizing shows/events, making town more pedestrian friendly, improving street lights in some areas, increasing English speaking police and services, addressing the panhandling and solicitation, etc. would all be more impactful to me.

If they're like the dogs on the south coast, they really don't bother anyone, they just wander around and sit quietly hoping for a handout.

I suppose there are people who are afraid of dogs, and fear being bit or attacked, not realizing these poor animals are usually harmless.