Thinking of installing security cameras around our home.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Can any one recommend a local company for this task? Or is
this an invitation to the security company to burgle our home?
Our home is in POP.

GringoInParadise

May 19, 2015
Can any one recommend a local company for this task? Or is
this an invitation to the security company to burgle our home?
Our home is in POP.

Just a suggestion. Pricemart in SD sell a pretty good 8 or 12 camera system, plug n play practically. Simple to instal. 10,000 to 20,000 depending on how many cameras you get. Keep an eye on each one remotely from your smartphone, etc etc. They won't stop anyone robbing your sh1te, or help catch them afterwards, but you can at least watch

Either way, security cameras on a property here is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike, so if you're going to waste money, might as well waste as little as possible.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Either way, security cameras on a property here is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike, so if you're going to waste money, might as well waste as little as possible.

Ridiculous comment.

Moving on...

Apart from being a deterrent in some cases, CCTV footage has been helpful in a number of cases in the DR in catching perps. Also when you throw it up on the DR focused social media sites, you'll be surprised at some of the responses.

e.g. https://www.facebook.com/groups/crimestoppersdr/

Ideally buy in the USA and bring it in. Plenty of forums and websites that review packages/systems etc.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Big security company in La Union called SAS.

SPECIAL ARMED SECURITY, S.R.L.
Calle El Tele Cable La Uni?n, Sosua RD
Email.specialsecuriti@hotmail.com
TEL.809-586-0968 Fax.809-586-0708
RNC. 130-51591-3

Resist the temptation to purchase the cheaper bullet camera options. Go with the highest end equip. that you can justify purchasing. You'll be much happier with the performance of the higher end cameras

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Ridiculous comment.

Moving on...

Apart from being a deterrent in some cases, CCTV footage has been helpful in a number of cases in the DR in catching perps. Also when you throw it up on the DR focused social media sites, you'll be surprised at some of the responses.

e.g. https://www.facebook.com/groups/crimestoppersdr/

Ideally buy in the USA and bring it in. Plenty of forums and websites that review packages/systems etc.

Agree !!!! A good camera system, a lot of light and a real dog helps a lot. With a good camera system you can check whats going on around your house. Bright light at night shows that you are prepared. Additional, a good dog who is outside at night will reduce your risk at least with 50%.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
An armed security guard is about $RD 80/hr*. In my community we have lots of guards. Even more at night. However, when we are travelling and the house is empty or mi esposa is home alone, I park a securidad in my driveway for about $20 USD/12 hour shift at night. During the day, the regular guards are more than sufficient.

Too easy and way too cheap!

* Prices quoted are from the same company that currently has the contract for my community.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In Cabrera, we pay 500-600 pesos a night (12 hrs) for the watchyman.

Him and about 250 lbs of animals..... seems to work.

Camera system will be cheaper than feedings the dogs but not as responsive....IMO

GringoInParadise

May 19, 2015
OP. Don't mind all that nonsense you read above. Not for the first time will you read inaccurate info around here. I have a professionally installed system on my SD property that cost just over US$12,000 just for the camera system. It is excellent and absolutely state of the art. However, the only thing that makes it useful is I also have two full time guards, one constantly monitoring the screens and the other patrolling. I also have a security company remotely monitoring the guards. Now, I feel nice and snug as a little bug when I'm about to doze off.

Fact is, a cheap system from Pricemart, a VERY well lit property, and one, or perhaps two, very expensive dogs would be as good, if not better.

Your camera system, regardless of the price, is only as good as the eyeballs looking at the screen. As for catching someone afterwards, Give me a break !!!

edit: Was not referring to William or Cdn's advise........ nothing wrong with that either.

Last edited:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Mmmh I dont like watchymen...... and dont feel the need......also, u would need to trust him, #1 not to rob u ( obviously ), #2 to actually repel any potential attackers. #3 to not call the PN after YOU blow the head off a potential house jacker.

Dogs are a must...... I sleep tight knowing they are prowling the grounds....

Cameras go both ways..... can be a detterent, can be a give away ( as in " mmh he has cameras, he has wealth stacked in there " ).
I keep hesitsting on camera installation, but will probably buy some next trip back home.....

All in all,
First secure your premises,
Then get a dog, or 2, or 4, or 11 ( :laugh: @ Harley ), preferably a mix of " heavy hitters" and a small yappy one thrown in....
Then get a gun, a shotgun is good for the house, and no need to renew permit. ( if u cant get a permit, than a watchman could be a solution ).

Because remember folks, cameras on their own wont do squat when the sh.it hits the fan....... or only post-mortem.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Thieves like to steal the dvr so, where is the best site / firm for online storage of data?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Big security company in La Union called SAS.

SPECIAL ARMED SECURITY, S.R.L.
Calle El Tele Cable La Uni?n, Sosua RD
Email.specialsecuriti@hotmail.com
TEL.809-586-0968 Fax.809-586-0708
RNC. 130-51591-3

Resist the temptation to purchase the cheaper bullet camera options. Go with the highest end equip. that you can justify purchasing. You'll be much happier with the performance of the higher end cameras
I agree. My mother in law spent 105,000 pesos for a camera system around her house and I wondered why so much, until I saw the quality of the images (plus the excellent way it was installed making it very difficult to tamper with, no visible cables etc.) compared to the images and installation of my neigbor who probably spent 30,000 pesos.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Just a suggestion. Pricemart in SD sell a pretty good 8 or 12 camera system, plug n play practically. Simple to instal. 10,000 to 20,000 depending on how many cameras you get. Keep an eye on each one remotely from your smartphone, etc etc. They won't stop anyone robbing your sh1te, or help catch them afterwards, but you can at least watch

Oh trust they will help you to find them, We have 8 cameras installed in my residence, burglar got in while I was watching TV, did not even notice he was there, took some money he found around the house, when My father arrived and saw the mess was when we found out, we took a look at the camera and we had everything recorded, took it to the Police, opened a case, in 3 days we had the burglar.

This was on Boca Chica btw.

Take a look at Inicio - Alarma 365 and nerdot.com.do, they are famouse and loyal company in the country.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
OP. Don't mind all that nonsense you read above. Not for the first time will you read inaccurate info around here. I have a professionally installed system on my SD property that cost just over US$12,000 just for the camera system.

12k USD in a Camera System? Did not know Danilo Medina was in DR1 :laugh:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Oh trust they will help you to find them, We have 8 cameras installed in my residence, burglar got in while I was watching TV, did not even notice he was there, took some money he found around the house, when My father arrived and saw the mess was when we found out, we took a look at the camera and we had everything recorded, took it to the Police, opened a case, in 3 days we had the burglar.

I quote... OP. Don't mind all that nonsense you read above. Not for the first time will you read inaccurate info around here.

Seen this with a friend in SD and another that owns a business.

US$12K. Does it also cut the grass?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I can't tell you where mine is without compromising my security, but it is out of sight, in a locked secure space well hidden by something that no ladrone would ever have an interest in fiddling with.

Use your imagination. If you wouldn't pay a particular spot any interest others probably won't either.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
We do not believe in that stuff.

Security cameras + USA / Canada = good
Security cameras + Europe = good
Security cameras + DR = (almost) useless

In other words this gimmick is only helpful, if there is a police who is interested in your footage.
Here you'd have to beg and pay to have the police look at your recordings.
Then they may come to your house, which you don't really want..... :bandit:

In the end you won't get your stuff back and the 'fiscal' / judges are not interested in your case either.

But of course, it is nice that you can show your friends how the baddies entered your house, stole your things and drank your beer...

:laugh:

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My house is lite up like a football field all night!!!!
3 BIG dogs outside, and a chihuahua to keep them honest,..."AWAKE"!!!!!!!
20 YEARS WITH NO THEFTS, EXCEPT FROM FAMILY MEMBERS THAT IS!!!!
Also, the house has never been left without someone inside for all those years!!!
THAT's the dominican security system!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Security cameras + USA / Canada = good
Security cameras + Europe = good
Security cameras + DR = (almost) useless

In other words this gimmick is only helpful, if there is a police who is interested in your footage.
Here you'd have to beg and pay to have the police look at your recordings.
Then they may come to your house, which you don't really want..... :bandit:

In the end you won't get your stuff back and the 'fiscal' / judges are not interested in your case either.

But of course, it is nice that you can show your friends how the baddies entered your house, stole your things and drank your beer...

:laugh:

donP
We had burglars twice the past year in our residencial. Both times the police:
1. Arrived right away and the forensics team (yes) the next day and
2. they were very eager to watch the footage.