Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking of installing security cameras around our home.

Can any one recommend a local company for this task? Or is
    this an invitation to the security company to burgle our home?
    Our home is in POP.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by No Place Like Home View Post
    Can any one recommend a local company for this task? Or is
    this an invitation to the security company to burgle our home?
    Our home is in POP.
    Just a suggestion. Pricemart in SD sell a pretty good 8 or 12 camera system, plug n play practically. Simple to instal. 10,000 to 20,000 depending on how many cameras you get. Keep an eye on each one remotely from your smartphone, etc etc. They won't stop anyone robbing your sh1te, or help catch them afterwards, but you can at least watch

Either way, security cameras on a property here is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike, so if you're going to waste money, might as well waste as little as possible.

3. Likes TP666, zoomzx11 liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GringoInParadise View Post
    Either way, security cameras on a property here is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike, so if you're going to waste money, might as well waste as little as possible.
    Ridiculous comment.

Moving on...

Apart from being a deterrent in some cases, CCTV footage has been helpful in a number of cases in the DR in catching perps. Also when you throw it up on the DR focused social media sites, you'll be surprised at some of the responses.

e.g. https://www.facebook.com/groups/crimestoppersdr/

Ideally buy in the USA and bring it in. Plenty of forums and websites that review packages/systems etc.

5. Likes Harleysrock, Conchman, curlando liked this post
    Dislikes TP666 disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Big security company in La Union called SAS.

SPECIAL ARMED SECURITY, S.R.L.
    Calle El Tele Cable La Unión, Sosua RD
    [email protected]
    TEL.809-586-0968 Fax.809-586-0708
    RNC. 130-51591-3

Resist the temptation to purchase the cheaper bullet camera options. Go with the highest end equip. that you can justify purchasing. You'll be much happier with the performance of the higher end cameras

7. Likes HIRAM liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Ridiculous comment.

Moving on...

Apart from being a deterrent in some cases, CCTV footage has been helpful in a number of cases in the DR in catching perps. Also when you throw it up on the DR focused social media sites, you'll be surprised at some of the responses.

e.g. https://www.facebook.com/groups/crimestoppersdr/

Ideally buy in the USA and bring it in. Plenty of forums and websites that review packages/systems etc.
    Agree !!!! A good camera system, a lot of light and a real dog helps a lot. With a good camera system you can check whats going on around your house. Bright light at night shows that you are prepared. Additional, a good dog who is outside at night will reduce your risk at least with 50%.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

An armed security guard is about $RD 80/hr*. In my community we have lots of guards. Even more at night. However, when we are travelling and the house is empty or mi esposa is home alone, I park a securidad in my driveway for about $20 USD/12 hour shift at night. During the day, the regular guards are more than sufficient.

Too easy and way too cheap!

* Prices quoted are from the same company that currently has the contract for my community.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

In Cabrera, we pay 500-600 pesos a night (12 hrs) for the watchyman.

Him and about 250 lbs of animals..... seems to work.

Camera system will be cheaper than feedings the dogs but not as responsive....IMO

11. Likes TP666 liked this post
    Dislikes HIRAM disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

OP. Don't mind all that nonsense you read above. Not for the first time will you read inaccurate info around here. I have a professionally installed system on my SD property that cost just over US$12,000 just for the camera system. It is excellent and absolutely state of the art. However, the only thing that makes it useful is I also have two full time guards, one constantly monitoring the screens and the other patrolling. I also have a security company remotely monitoring the guards. Now, I feel nice and snug as a little bug when I'm about to doze off.

Fact is, a cheap system from Pricemart, a VERY well lit property, and one, or perhaps two, very expensive dogs would be as good, if not better.

Your camera system, regardless of the price, is only as good as the eyeballs looking at the screen. As for catching someone afterwards, Give me a break !!!

edit: Was not referring to William or Cdn's advise........ nothing wrong with that either.
    Last edited by GringoInParadise; 06-18-2015 at 07:57 AM.

13. Likes TP666 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Mmmh I dont like watchymen...... and dont feel the need......also, u would need to trust him, #1 not to rob u ( obviously ), #2 to actually repel any potential attackers. #3 to not call the PN after YOU blow the head off a potential house jacker.

Dogs are a must...... I sleep tight knowing they are prowling the grounds....

Cameras go both ways..... can be a detterent, can be a give away ( as in " mmh he has cameras, he has wealth stacked in there " ).
    I keep hesitsting on camera installation, but will probably buy some next trip back home.....

All in all,
    First secure your premises,
    Then get a dog, or 2, or 4, or 11 ( @ Harley ), preferably a mix of " heavy hitters" and a small yappy one thrown in....
    Then get a gun, a shotgun is good for the house, and no need to renew permit. ( if u cant get a permit, than a watchman could be a solution ).

Because remember folks, cameras on their own wont do squat when the sh.it hits the fan....... or only post-mortem.

15. Likes TP666 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Him and about 250 lbs of animals..... seems to work.
    I resent that, I don't weight that much, unless you are including the weight of the cerveza I consume when I visit... :-)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast