Dr Travel Advice

May 17, 2011
I have been to the DR in the past and mostly traveled to Sosua.

I want to visit other areas on my next trip, so I am thinking of flying into santo domingo (spend a few days there)Head to the beach maybe Boca Chica or Juan Dolio, from there take one of the buses up to Santiago spend a few days in Santiago, then take the bus to POP and get more beach time and fly home from POP.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on this, and how many days I need and should spend in eachcity.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
This is a perfectly doable agenda. There are buses that travel frequently to Boca Chica and Juan Dolio. You would need to take the bus back to Santo Domingo to then take a different bus to Santiago.
Since you have already been to Puerto Plata, on this trip consider instead taking the bus to Samana. The bus from Boca Chica to Santo Domingo could drop you off at the Caribe Tours stop on the highway to Samana that is before you get to Santo Domingo. There you consider staying in Las Terrenas, with lots of beach activities during the day and night, or in the slower paced Las Galeras, big on scuba diving, and nature hikes and great beaches.

See:
http://dr1.com/travel/samanaguide.pdf
In Samana, the Taino Park is closed.

http://dr1.com/travel/laromanaguide.pdf
http://dr1.com/travel/santodomingoguide.pdf

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
IMHO boca chica is only fun with a group of friends. Alone you are a target of shameless solicitation. If u live in nyc u go to Coney Island. Kind of like that. Not such a nice beach, but close by and fun. Who gets on a plane to go to Coney Island or jones beach? They are past their prime. Wish I could have seen them in the 50' 60's.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
IMHO boca chica is only fun with a group of friends. Alone you are a target of shameless solicitation. If u live in nyc u go to Coney Island. Kind of like that. Not such a nice beach, but close by and fun. Who gets on a plane to go to Coney Island or jones beach? They are past their prime. Wish I could have seen them in the 50' 60's.

?????????????????

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Plan on spending 12 days in country. Spend a few days in the Capital. One or two days in Boca Chica is enough for me. If you go to Santiago try and get to Jarabacoa and Constanza. Instead of Sosua stay in Cabarete; better beach better food and if you feel like going to Sosua it's a cab ride away.
Plus in the North go to Teleferico for a cable car ride.

May 17, 2011
Thanks

Will I need a car to get around Santo Domingo or Santiago? Or can I get to everything on foot or by taxi or motocoho?

May 17, 2011
Thanks

Thanks

Will I need a car to get around Santo Domingo or Santiago? Or can I get to everything on foot or by taxi or motocoho?

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
I never ride on motorcohos. Just don't use taxis in front of hotels walk a block or two and always negotiate the price. Now driving in DR depends on your driving skills. Since it will be your first time in either city I suggest using a taxi until you get a feel for driving in DR.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
you can get around with taxi's and motocoho's. you will just have to know where each one go's i did it many time even drove but i dont like driving any more

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Cabarete does not have a better beach. Bigger is not better. Cabarete has dangeous surf and every year loses tourists to drownings. Sosua beach is a bay so the water is nearly aways calm and clean. Cabarete beach is treeless so you bake in the unrelenting sun. Sosua is tree lined and shady. Sosua beach is much more tourist friendly and accomodating. You a surfer or a wind surfer Cabarete beach is better. For a tourist, nope and I am a beach expert.