big fire in POP city centre

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
just days after the major fire in munoz that destroyed around 50 houses, this morning there was a fire in the heart of POP, close to central park. city bomberos arrived but run out of water and the flames were extinguished only after brugal sent a truck with water to the site: Incendio ocasiona p?rdidas millonarias en Puerto Plata tras reducir a cenizas casa que era usada como dep?sito - Noticias POP

sadly, this is yet another time when local fire department proved useless. luckily, no one died but there are large material loses.

Kengdean

Dec 1, 2014
just days after the major fire in munoz that destroyed around 50 houses, this morning there was a fire in the heart of POP, close to central park. city bomberos arrived but run out of water and the flames were extinguished only after brugal sent a truck with water to the site: Incendio ocasiona p?rdidas millonarias en Puerto Plata tras reducir a cenizas casa que era usada como dep?sito - Noticias POP

sadly, this is yet another time when local fire department proved useless. luckily, no one died but there are large material loses.
Are there fire hydrants in this area of POP? If not, are there several fire department Tankers available to respond to the fire quickly?
You need water to put out a fire...don't blame your local fire department (career or volunteer) if they don't have the resources and tools to do their job!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Are there fire hydrants in this area of POP? If not, are there several fire department Tankers available to respond to the fire quickly?
You need water to put out a fire...don't blame your local fire department (career or volunteer) if they don't have the resources and tools to do their job!

mmm, their job is to have water, right? they are, like, you know, fire fighters?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Cheers to Brugal. They probably won't charge the home owners for fuel or water. Glad there were no injuries.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There is a whole ocean full of water 2 Km away. Why are the hydrants not charged via pump and sea water I wonder?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
There is a whole ocean full of water 2 Km away. Why are the hydrants not charged via pump and sea water I wonder?

I have no facts here, so don?t know unfortunately, but as my wife would say (and I think dv8 as well...): "Just think where you are..."

mmm, maybe you missed this part?

I think part of the job of the fire fighting units (not just the firemen though, but the institute) IS to have what it takes to do their only job.

I was told that they have always been useless and crap, and going worse by the minute... Yet they have their huge and shiny building right in front of the sea with fancy letters in the hights...

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
At least Puerto Plata HAS a fire department. Here is Cabarete we have to hope they can crank up the old crate from Sosua and struggle over here!

Kengdean

Dec 1, 2014
Great idea but that would be salt water. All the metal parts of a hydrant system would be toast in a year or two. But if there were fire department tanker trucks they could use this water and shuttle it to the scene of the fire. When the fire was out they would have to dump any remaining salt water, refill and dump a couple of times with fresh water to cleanse the truck. Same would be true of any pumpers working the scene that pumped salt water. A bit of extra work but no big deal!

Kengdean

Dec 1, 2014
Reply to JDJones
You don't live her do you?
No I don't...wish I did though! Beautiful country and great, friendly people! Maybe one day......
I was just asking if there are fire hydrants in POP.
I realize that fire department tanker trucks are probably not available due to economic reasons. But the article states the fire fighters were hampered by lack of water. If there are hydrants this wouldn't be a problem otherwise you need several tankers to shuttle water to the scene of the fire.
I've often been confused to see hydrants in the middle of nowhere on our many trips to Samana. We often take ATV tours while visiting and see hydrants miles away from the nearest house on a back road or even an ATV trail. Assuming they are functional, why were they put there? It would be a massive expense verses a few tanker trucks. Do they serve other purposes than fire fighting? No one has been able to tell me when we are there. Anybody got any ideas?

Last edited:

Kengdean

Dec 1, 2014
mmm, their job is to have water, right? they are, like, you know, fire fighters?
A fire fighter needs water, either from a hydrant or a tanker. Can't pull that out of his ass, it needs to be in place and available by those who govern these things!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The fire department does not control the water supply. If a big blaze ever gets going on a breezy day the entire town of wooden shacks will go up like Chicago and even a good fire department will not be able to stop it.