a tale of three sisters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Whatever happened to fact-checking and proofreading? This person has a doctorate!

e.g.
Haiti, originally called St. Dominique before independence
Saint Domingue.

Duarte?s birthday is the day that the people of the Dominican Republic celebrate their independence.
No: Duarte's birthday is January 26th, Independence is celebrated on February 27th.

Conde Calle
- Calle El Conde

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
one of the worst and most naive/clueless writings about the theme i ever read.
why should Dominicans celebrate anything/recognize anything about long ago african ancestry? If they have such.
Dominicans do not see themselves as the grandsons of africans, nor from spaniards, Dominicans see themselves just as Dominicans, they see no need to cry out about hundreds of years ago criminal acts of Conquistadores, they see no need to talk any Slavery stories by stolen back in da day from africa.
they live Today.
the last time they have been conquered, was by Hait. the occupation lasted over 20 years and during that time they been not allowed to practice their own religious believes nor to speak their own native language, SPANISH.
darn sure they Celebrate Independence Day as for their Independence from the bloody Haitian Dictatorship, who could blame anybody for celebrating such great outcome of such huuuuge Misery?
people who feel bad during such national celebrations, should just not visit during such times, better they would not visit the country at all.
so by her doctorate educated mind, should the united states of america stop celebrating 4th of july and instead celebrate a date when their ancestors in Europe gained independence from some otha King or such?
should all D-Day Celebrations be stopped because in this Doctorate's small mind Germans would feel bad/offended about such?
I am german and i participate in such celebrations,
happy that it happened withsuccess,
because, without a doctorate, I know that i would not be born the same person i am, if there would not be a reason to celebrate D-Day.
hopefully she is not representative for the typical afro american doctorate holder, because that would be bad thing for the Globe.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Whatever happened to fact-checking and proofreading? This person has a doctorate!

e.g.
Saint Domingue.

No: Duarte's birthday is January 26th, Independence is celebrated on February 27th.

- Calle El Conde

she was there, a year ago, for a couple weeks that month, she sure learned everything that others need decades or a century for.
smart girlie, or better, SmartAzz shimmering girlie.

Mike

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
this should go in the garbage. she was at independence day celebration and came across a surprising reality ... as if. this is a festering, fetid, fly attracting pile of refuse

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans KNOW that they are black decendents of African slaves, they just hate to recognize it!
Mis abuelos son Espanoles, con ojos azules, cabello rubio, y nariz fina"!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 6, 2006
She is making up her own version of history. The Haitians may have declared that people must stop speaking Spanish, but it is pretty clear that they did not enforce this much.
Haitians, Americans and Dominicans all see the issue of slavery and African heritage differently. History is not what actually happened in any country: from the time that the last person died who had actual experience . history is an incomplete assortment of tales of what people think happened, or would liked to have happened.
The same events can easily produce vastly different legends. Henri Christophe came very close to reimposing slavery in his domain in the North. Building the La Ferriere fortress and the Sans Souci Palace did not involve paying the masons a decent wage: many men died building these monuments.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Dominicans KNOW that they are black decendents of African slaves, they just hate to recognize it!
Mis abuelos son Espanoles, con ojos azules, cabello rubio, y nariz fina"!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

That may be true for the Dominican family you married into. My wife's family have no problem admitting their mixed heritage.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
"in the Dominican Republic this month working with community agencies on a number of fronts: creating community-level education & prevention interventions for internalized stigmas related to homophobia & heterosexism, domestic violence, and harm-reduction strategies for substance use and HIV. From the Dominican Republican, Dr. Moore blogs:"

Really, don't need to go much further than this.

I can only reply...

Chicken. Chicken chicken chicken. Chicken: chicken chicken chicken, chicken.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I read some of her work as a clinical psychologist. As my work is clinical I could relate better to her writing in that topic. Nevertheless, she is a doctor of philosophy and that is no small achievement. More than I will ever accomplish, so she has my respect. It is amazing that simple fact check is overlooked. Where are her grad students?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
if the Mrs "Doctor" is representative for the quality of that Adler School,
then i have now one on the list which my Daughter will not be allowed to attend, as it's worthless.
she can't hide that she's african, and she clearly has a problem with it, so she searches on others to tell them that they need to have the same problem with their heritage/skincolour and such.

she should get in touch with a shrink, it may help.

Mike

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Adler University ...What a joke !! Its like a half step above, or below, Tractor Trailer driving school of America

Aug 6, 2006
==========================================================
One thing the DR does NOT need is to alter its views on race to those of the US. There may be racism in the DR, but it seems to me that in the DR Black people, White people and the overwhelmingly large number of mixed people see there fellow citizens as people, not members of this or that tribe.
I have observed that skin color varies within families, rather a lot, and many families have a member nicknamed "Blanca" or "Negra", which no one sees as any more unusual than "flaca" or "gorda".

This woman is an expert on interpreting Dominican racism through the typical lens of African-American, not Dominican, attitudes.

It is like the wish fulfillment of people like her is "I demand that you recognize me as a strong, intelligent Black African-American Woman!"

And a Dominican woman of her features, attributes and education would not be demanding and would simply expect to be recognized as an intelligent woman.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2014
==========================================================
One thing the DR does NOT need is to alter its views on race to those of the US. There may be racism in the DR, but it seems to me that in the DR Black people, White people and the overwhelmingly large number of mixed people see there fellow citizens as people, not members of this or that tribe.
I have observed that skin color varies within families, rather a lot, and many families have a member nicknamed "Blanca" or "Negra", which no one sees as any more unusual than "flaca" or "gorda".

This woman is an expert on interpreting Dominican racism through the typical lens of African-American, not Dominican, attitudes.

It is like the wish fulfillment of people like her is "I demand that you recognize me as a strong, intelligent Black African-American Woman!"

And a Dominican woman of her features, attributes and education would not be demanding and would simply expect to be recognized as an intelligent woman.
What you say may have merit. But unfortunately it does take a person LIKE Dr. Moore(or the Cuban, Charles Moore) to see, subjectively and objectively how the other half lives. DR & Brazil(Cuba, Colombia, Venezuela, et al.)have different socialization levels than the USA but it doesnt mean they have no problems or that their problems are all that different.
Alot of the times the comments on this subject are self-centered "you are making my life complicated by trying to impose USA racial hegemony onto us less aggravating Caribbean folk." It may be far-fetched but like CC said there is a big heap of denial permeating in this civilization.
Every time I come I bring Black Barbie dolls(for my daughter)and EVERY Dominicana with a daughter under 10 years old wants one. Explain that. It is the topic of conversation "I ve never seen one of those. They dont sell those here. You should bring me one for my daughter."
With these conversations in my personal repertoire I could never discount Dr. Moore's sentiments.

Aug 6, 2006
Every time I come I bring Black Barbie dolls(for my daughter)and EVERY Dominicana with a daughter under 10 years old wants one. Explain that. It is the topic of conversation "I ve never seen one of those. They don't sell those here. You should bring me one for my daughter."

==========================================
I think that this is because the people who import dolls are White (or at least not Black:they might be Middle Eastern or Chinese) and believe that every little girl would like a doll that looks like them (by whom I mean the importer).

=================
In many ways, attitudes concerning race and color in the DR are healthier than those in the US. Black slavery ended at least 65 years earlier than in the US.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What you say may have merit. But unfortunately it does take a person LIKE Dr. Moore(or the Cuban, Charles Moore) to see, subjectively and objectively how the other half lives. DR & Brazil(Cuba, Colombia, Venezuela, et al.)have different socialization levels than the USA but it doesnt mean they have no problems or that their problems are all that different.
Alot of the times the comments on this subject are self-centered "you are making my life complicated by trying to impose USA racial hegemony onto us less aggravating Caribbean folk." It may be far-fetched but like CC said there is a big heap of denial permeating in this civilization.
Every time I come I bring Black Barbie dolls(for my daughter)and EVERY Dominicana with a daughter under 10 years old wants one. Explain that. It is the topic of conversation "I ve never seen one of those. They dont sell those here. You should bring me one for my daughter."
With these conversations in my personal repertoire I could never discount Dr. Moore's sentiments.

My only issue is how did she become an expert with such little time here, and inability to pay attention to details, like history. By the way you can get black dolls in IKEA but though not as fashionable as the Barbies, nor as expensive. Not that her ideas are without merit, but because her lenses are already set it is hard to believe she could be completely objective about the realities of Dominican racial relations.

Apr 7, 2014
Every time I come I bring Black Barbie dolls(for my daughter)and EVERY Dominicana with a daughter under 10 years old wants one. Explain that. It is the topic of conversation "I ve never seen one of those. They don't sell those here. You should bring me one for my daughter."

I think that this is because the people who import dolls are White (or at least not Black:they might be Middle Eastern or Chinese) and believe that every little girl would like a doll that looks like them (by whom I mean the importer).

=================
In many ways, attitudes concerning race and color in the DR are healthier than those in the US. Black slavery ended at least 65 years earlier than in the US.
The end date of slavery doesnt matter if it was replaced with more rigid forms of classism and colorism. I dont think Dominican attitudes are healthier because I think their mentality is overwhelmingly pessimistic, lackadaisical and Euro-philic. They embrace nationalism better than American but it is a farce because almost no one knows their own history. Just a bunch of highly questionable dogma about the "good works" of European colonizers.

Apr 7, 2014

=================

The doll thing is psychological/social programming. No one wants Chinese dolls.

What colorist attitudes in the DR are healthier than in the USA? Give a few examples...

Status
Not open for further replies.