New exit procedure - leaving with minors

Feb 7, 2007
This is the first time that happened to me, so you may be warned.

This morning leaving with my daughter, via PUJ, on European passport.

My part was OK I have residency. My daughter was born in DR and has both DR and my country's passport. In recent years she has been travelling on European passport only. Never an issue.

This morning the immigration officer wanted to see proof her Dominican citizenship, I guess related to the new exit fee procedure. I shown her DR passport. I should not have done that. The officer now demanded Permiso de Menores. It took a lot of explaining and insisting that she is travelling on European passport and therefore DR rules for Permiso do not apply to her, and she also entered the DR last time on European passport. The guy tried to call his supervisor but could not get through. I guess at 5.30 am on Sunday morning the supervisor was sleeping. I am quite sure the supervisor would have said I was correct, but you never know what a half asleep mind could come up with. At the end, he let us continue.

For all of you in similar case, bring along a DR birth certificate just in case. Never show a DR passport if the child has one.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
My daughter has both, she is a British citizen as well, with full British passport. 'Authorization de sali con menor', I had presumed was required no matter what. Are you telling me that when we fly on our British passports this is not required?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Unless the child is born in DR, as in the case of the OP, s/he would use the Dominican passport precisely because of immigration status/exit fee. That's what we do with my son, who has DR/UK dual nationality but was not born in the DR. Last summer we travelled without my husband so we got the autorizaci?n de salida con menor, but no one asked for it.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
It is a very sensible measure to demand a autorizaci?n de salida con menor to prevent kidnapping of kids (a minor but nonetheless nasty worldwide issue).

It is also required in The Netherlands whenever my wife or myself will travel abroad alone with the kids.

If you or another poster wants it; I have developed a standard letter in Dutch, English and Spanish that serves the purpose. The document should be accompanied with a copy of the identification page of the passport of other partner.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I do not think there is a new procedure. I think the immigration official just selectively enforced it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
CHILDREN UNDER FOREIGN LEGAL RESIDENTS

PERMIT REQUIREMENTS UNDER 18 FOREIGN LEGAL RESIDENTS IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC.

Specific Requirements:

. Minor foreign nationals traveling in the company of a parent If the minor travels with one parent must have the authorization of the other; such authorization should be through a power of attorney by which the parent authorizes the exit of the minor, duly legalized by the Attorney General's Office, and attached a copy of the Certificate of the parent and the two witnesses listed in power.
Foreign Nationality Children traveling with a third person or airline. If the minor is traveling with a third person, or an airline, both parents must authorize the retail outlet by a power of attorney legalized by the Attorney General's Office, attached a copy of the Certificate of the parent and the two witnesses listed in power.

Common requirements:

Act legalized original birth
Copy of the passport page contentiva biometrics authorized by parents to leave with the least third.
Name of the airline which would travel, if any authorization
Copy of the passport page the child, that contains biometric data
Copies of the visa or residence of the child and his companion
Two (2) photographs 2x2 front lower
Copy of the identity card of / parent / s authorizing / n
Copy of the Identity Card and Electoral passenger, if applicable
Payment of the amount of service provided

In addition to the above documents the following requirements for special situations that present some minors will be required:

Minor children of legal foreign residents in the Dominican that saves has one of the parents. While one parent having the care or custody of the minor shall deposit with the request for permission to leave the minor travel authorization from the other parent or authorization of the juvenile court.
Minor children of legal foreign residents in the Dominican who has one or both parents living outside the country. If one or both parents are abroad should be directed to the Dominican consulate of the country of residence and apply for a consular power, authorizing the child from leaving the country with her companion. The consular power must be apostille and legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Minor children of legal foreign residents in the Dominican who is deceased parent him. Act legalized original death certificate and a copy thereof.
Minor children of legal foreign residents in the Dominican who do not have the permission of a parent to travel. Authorization issued by the Court of Children and Adolescents relevant.
Minor children of legal foreign residents in the Dominican traveling with a legal guardian. Copy of the certified judgment granted custody.

Under Dominican nationality who they are adopted by foreigners.

Birth in extensive minor duly authenticated, in which the adoptive filiation is established.
Certified copy of the adoption decree.
Passport under nationality that applies.
Other requirements to the DGM for lower output.

Note:

Parents must sign the power of attorney with the signature on the identity card and voter. This document is valid for 30 days from the date of issue. Delivery of the permit on the same day.

DEPARTMENT OF CERTIFICATION

809-508-2555, ext 2070, 2072 and 2073

FAX: 809-532-1458

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
What is a full British passport? Is there such a thing s a half British passport or a quarter British passport. I am confused.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
6 Codes

What is a full British passport? Is there such a thing s a half British passport or a quarter British passport. I am confused.

On the Biodata page of your passport, you should find a 3-letter code:

GBR - British Citizen (normal UK Passport)
GBD - British Overseas Territories Citizens
GBO - British Overseas Citizens
GBS - British Subjects
GBP - British Protected Persons
GBN - British National Overseas

donP

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
That law has been around for a long time whether they enforce it or not is another story.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On the Biodata page of your passport, you should find a 3-letter code:

GBR - British Citizen (normal UK Passport)
GBD - British Overseas Territories Citizens
GBO - British Overseas Citizens
GBS - British Subjects
GBP - British Protected Persons
GBN - British National Overseas

donP

Are any less than full?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Less Than Full

Are any less than full?

Indeed, I would believe so.

"Relationship with right to abode
Only the status of British citizen carries with it the right of abode somewhere (in this case the UK), and all British passports include a note to this effect. In practice BOTCs (except those associated with the Sovereign bases in Cyprus) were granted full British citizenship in 2002, BN(O)s have right of residence in Hong Kong (note: not conferred by the BNO status), BSs and BPPs lose their statuses upon acquisition of another nationality (except BSs connected with the Republic of Ireland) and so should be eligible for registration as British Citizens under the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002.
British Overseas Citizens are unique in that their nationality status is not associated with a right of residence."

A bit complicated, but do not worry, the immigration officer would know... ;)

donP

Feb 7, 2007
It's the law but it does not apply to children with dual citizenship travelling on foreign passport with one of the parent if that child had traveled with that parent before. See the link, question 6 on the first page.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Indeed, I would believe so.

"Relationship with right to abode
Only the status of British citizen carries with it the right of abode somewhere (in this case the UK), and all British passports include a note to this effect. In practice BOTCs (except those associated with the Sovereign bases in Cyprus) were granted full British citizenship in 2002, BN(O)s have right of residence in Hong Kong (note: not conferred by the BNO status), BSs and BPPs lose their statuses upon acquisition of another nationality (except BSs connected with the Republic of Ireland) and so should be eligible for registration as British Citizens under the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002.
British Overseas Citizens are unique in that their nationality status is not associated with a right of residence."

A bit complicated, but do not worry,)
the immigration officer would know... ;
donP

donP
I have lived over 30 yrs in the USA as a Green carder& a visa holder

I can assure that in my meetings with the border personnel, in more than half the cases I knew more than they did
and i still do. Talking US Immigration here.

Admittedly, my situation is/was not a normal one.... but still, they SHOULD BE the experts.

You should see the Cdn officials now when I cross the border.... and they want me to declare something.
In my car, with Cdn plates, stating that I am 'in transit' to the DR.

Purchase anything ?
Nothing that will be staying in Canada.

Silence and a quizzical stare...

(back to square 1)
Where do you live.....
Dominican Republic.....
(repeat silence and stare)
Drive on....

Citizen of the world with no borders or boundaries...
Planned it from 1990.......... initiated it in 1995.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
CHILDREN UNDER FOREIGN LEGAL RESIDENTS

PERMIT REQUIREMENTS UNDER 18 FOREIGN LEGAL RESIDENTS IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC.

Specific Requirements:

. Minor foreign nationals traveling in the company of a parent If the minor travels with one parent must have the authorization of the other; such authorization should be through a power of attorney by which the parent authorizes the exit of the minor, duly legalized by the Attorney General's Office, and attached a copy of the Certificate of the parent and the two witnesses listed in power.
Foreign Nationality Children traveling with a third person or airline. If the minor is traveling with a third person, or an airline, both parents must authorize the retail outlet by a power of attorney legalized by the Attorney General's Office, attached a copy of the Certificate of the parent and the two witnesses listed in power.

Common requirements:

Act legalized original birth
Copy of the passport page contentiva biometrics authorized by parents to leave with the least third.
Name of the airline which would travel, if any authorization
Copy of the passport page the child, that contains biometric data
Copies of the visa or residence of the child and his companion
Two (2) photographs 2x2 front lower
Copy of the identity card of / parent / s authorizing / n
Copy of the Identity Card and Electoral passenger, if applicable
Payment of the amount of service provided

In addition to the above documents the following requirements for special situations that present some minors will be required:

Minor children of legal foreign residents in the Dominican that saves has one of the parents. While one parent having the care or custody of the minor shall deposit with the request for permission to leave the minor travel authorization from the other parent or authorization of the juvenile court.
Minor children of legal foreign residents in the Dominican who has one or both parents living outside the country. If one or both parents are abroad should be directed to the Dominican consulate of the country of residence and apply for a consular power, authorizing the child from leaving the country with her companion. The consular power must be apostille and legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Minor children of legal foreign residents in the Dominican who is deceased parent him. Act legalized original death certificate and a copy thereof.
Minor children of legal foreign residents in the Dominican who do not have the permission of a parent to travel. Authorization issued by the Court of Children and Adolescents relevant.
Minor children of legal foreign residents in the Dominican traveling with a legal guardian. Copy of the certified judgment granted custody.

Under Dominican nationality who they are adopted by foreigners.

Birth in extensive minor duly authenticated, in which the adoptive filiation is established.
Certified copy of the adoption decree.
Passport under nationality that applies.
Other requirements to the DGM for lower output.

Note:

Parents must sign the power of attorney with the signature on the identity card and voter. This document is valid for 30 days from the date of issue. Delivery of the permit on the same day.

DEPARTMENT OF CERTIFICATION

809-508-2555, ext 2070, 2072 and 2073

FAX: 809-532-1458

This is a lot more requirements than I usually provide. Mind you I play by my countries rules and issue the statement here. It consists of a letter with all the details (passport numbers, names and flight data of all involved) and a copy of my passport.

This has so far always been sufficient.

To be honest I cannot see how I can go and have something notarised and legalised in the DR when I'm in Holland. There is also no possibility to legalise letters through the Attorney General's office here. Own reconaisance has always been good enough.

To my fellow board members who have requested the letter. I will send out the document as is, I am sorry but I will accomodate requests for adding additional languages or other adjustments :)

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

Absolutely, besides others there are temporary passports. These might be given while a person is awaiting a decision on application process, a temporary passport does not mean you are a British Citizen. Once you have a full British passport then you are a British Citizen and entitled to those rights and protection as British Citizen. In short, full British passport gives you native status.