Vaccinations for moving to the DR?

buenviaje

Feb 10, 2015
Moving to the North Coast in a month for a minimum 2-year stint of work. CDC suggests a rabies and Typhoid vaccination but I don't think I'll be in very rural areas or near too many animals. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Thanks very much in advance for any and all help!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
both hep's A & B... we did typhoid too...... no malaria... tetanus = yes
in short , load up - why not?

take all the shots.... you are never far from animals...

you may hit one on the road
and you aren't far from animals - THEY are very close to animals regularly.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I don't have rabies and I volunteer with 2 Animal organizations but I like living on the edge.

I just got hep A&b and already had a tetanus shot neither were for moving here.

Easton I have seen you pretty rabid on the odd occasion....just sayin.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I like William's cocktail: hep + typhoid + tetnus sounds good. I never did the typhoid though. Your TA post will bring out the malaria mafia. No to malaria here also.

both hep's A & B... we did typhoid too...... no malaria... tetanus = yes
in short , load up - why not?

take all the shots.... you are never far from animals...

you may hit one on the road
and you aren't far from animals - THEY are very close to animals regularly.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
When I moved here 10yrs ago, I had already received Hep B vaccine and boosters from two decades of performing hands on invasive patient care in the U.S. Nothing else.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when i moved here i did not get any special shots. tetanus i had in school, got additional shot here during operativo medico. human rabies is rare in DR so i would not bother with it. most of malaria cases are imported so again, this vaccine is not necessary. i know lots of folks who had hep vaccines back in europe so i guess this one is universally advisable.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Moving to the North Coast in a month for a minimum 2-year stint of work. CDC suggests a rabies and Typhoid vaccination but I don't think I'll be in very rural areas or near too many animals. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Thanks very much in advance for any and all help!

There are *LOTS* of stray dogs and cats in DR, and some areas you ill not be able to avoid the rats as well.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Upon moving to the DR for work purposes, the public health nurse pulled up a map and recommended that I should have Hep A/B, TDAP (Tetanus, Diptheria, Pertussus), Typhoid, Rabies, and Anti- malaria pills. I had the Hep A/B previously, updated my TDAP, and got Typhoid. But I opted out of the Rabies vaccine ($600CDN) and have never taken any anti-malaria.

So the hep + typhoid + tetanus is what I had prior to moving down as well.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I didnt get any special vaccine for the dr..... havent died of anything.....yet.

On a side note, a couple of years back, family from the UK came over to visit... being health freaks they got all vaccines recommemded by foreign office.....sick as dogs for 2 days....lol ( thankfully while still in the UK ).....