Punta Cana residents..Help !

sightseeing

Jun 19, 2015
Hello all,
I'm interested in hearing from expats living in the Punta Cana area.
I'm making my retirement plans and Punta Cana is on the top of my list but I would love to hear from the residents of that area. Are you happy you made the move ? I'm reading a lot of negative posts and would honestly love to hear from you. I'm not worried about expensive food or clothing. I know you lose power at times. I'm not afraid of that. I'm concerned about safety, and cleanliness. What areas of Punta Cana would you say fit my desires more ? I plan on renting for 6 months to a year first. Of course I'll bring my family a few times. Then, If I'm happy there, I'll purchase a home. I know Punta Cana is in a tourist area and I'm good with that as well.
Thank you for helping me out here.

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
We looked at Punta Cana when I moved down (I'm not retired, I work from home/travel). My better half has family in the village and we know folks in Cap Cana as well. We ending up heading further west, because we wanted to be closer to her office in La Romana and in a little less crowded area. Is PC a good choice? It depends. Our lifestyle is pretty "regular." We like to go out to both nice places and hole-in-the wall establishments, catch a movie on Friday nights, spend a little time at the beach, etc. For that, I think PC is great. Again, it was someplace we seriously considered. I think the new Blue Mall will add options as well. It is clean and safe (those were considerations for us as well).

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Been in and out of Bavaro for 5 years. One of the only places in the DR where the power does not go OUT. If it does when there is a big storm it is fixed within a few hours. But you pay dearly for this. Private power company there.

Safety is not an issue here to me. There is plenty of work in the 100 hotels in the area for Dominicans, so crime is very low.
Cocotal in Bavaro has tons of apts. and Villas, both for sale and rent. Bargain and you can do well there. Plenty of other spots that are safe and nice. Look around for yourself.

sightseeing

Jun 19, 2015
Thank you Randy and Sky. Your information is very well appreciated.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We have been in the area for 8 years for around 7 months a year. If safety is your biggest concern PC Village and Cap Cana are your best bet. There are other very good areas like Cocatiel and Las Corales. If you want quiet there is also some really nice places in Uvero Alto but its 20 minutes away. It is beach front and quite remote.
My feeling on a lot of the negativity you read here is caused by frustration. Getting simple tasks done can be very difficult and frustrating. If you do come have an open mind and a lot of patience as this place can chew up the best of them.
I would also suggest that you rent a car and explore all the areas in the PC/ Bavaro/ El Cotecito vicinity. Also be careful of anyone calling themselves a relator here. If they can say it then they consider themselves one.
Good luck

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Bavaro, Punta Cana is a Renter's paradise. You can buy a Condo for 300,000 or rent it for $800 month. You decide. Just bargain as there are tons of condos and Villas for rent here.

sightseeing

Jun 19, 2015
Thank you melphis and tashi. As far as real estate agents, i was going to contact go punta cana. What do you think ? I understand the frustration, my 22 year old son is on Island time here on long island lol And I have patience with him.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk