Great deal for swimmers

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Club Paraiso off Av. Winston Churchill in the Paraiso neighbourhood is advertising a deal for new members. The deal is RD$5,000 family membership fee plus RD$700 monthly payments. The club has a well-maintained swimming pool that has many hours when very few people use the pool. The pool regularly has swimmer lanes. There is swimming instruction at the pool at different schedules, at different prices depending on the instructors. The Club always retains one lane for use of members, but this can be crowded at peak hours.
While the best deal is the use of the pool, the club also offers use of volleyball, basketball and tennis courts upon reservation. On site also are zumba, fitness and football classes, but these are paid separately.

Last edited:

jackfi

Mar 31, 2013
How is the gym there? On their website they only have few pics of their gym from 2008. Does the gym cost separately also/how much?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Ramon Rodriguez (Cuquin) gives a cross fit style exercise class (combination yoga, pilates, trx, etc) that is very popular on Tuesday and Thursday nights -- think it is from 7 to 8:15pm. I saw the club was installing new gym facilities, will check next time I am at the club.

In the area there is Smartfit (Supermercado Bravo at Av. Winston Churchill) that is probably right now the best deal on traditional gyms -- machine exercises. Think for RD$1,300 a month you get machines, and access to hydromassage and massage chairs. Think they are open 5am to midnight. You could combine the pool at Paraiso with Smartfit exercises.

The area also has excellent yoga exercises at MiYoga at the Mezzaluna Plaza on Calle Federico Geraldino, 2 minutes from Club Paraiso. Morning classes there are RD$2,500, and full run of all classes is RD$4,000 and RD$3,600 if you pay by credit card. Gives you access to hatha, yin yang, vinyasa, ashtanga, hot, fusion yoga styles at that location and their sister location in Arroyo Hondo.

Last edited:

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Sounds like what all the embassy people would love they can put it on their expense account.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
No, I swim there. I became a member paying RD$10,000 fee! While it would be in my personal better interest to keep shut about the pool, I here share it with DR1 Forum readers. There is much I like about living in Santo Domingo… a city which is usually blasted by forum posters… so I can't help pointing out the good things about living here…

jackfi

Mar 31, 2013
Ramon Rodriguez (Cuquin) gives a cross fit style exercise class (combination yoga, pilates, trx, etc) that is very popular on Tuesday and Thursday nights -- think it is from 7 to 8:15pm. I saw the club was installing new gym facilities, will check next time I am at the club. In the area there is Smartfit (Supermercado Bravo at Av. Winston Churchill) that is probably right now the best deal on traditional gyms -- machine exercises. Think for RD$1,300 a month you get machines, and access to hydromassage and massage chairs. Think they are open 5am to midnight. You could combine the pool at Paraiso with Smartfit exercises.

The area also has excellent yoga exercises at MiYoga at the Mezzaluna Plaza on Calle Federico Geraldino, 2 minutes from Club Paraiso. Morning classes there are RD$2,500, and full run of all classes is RD$4,000 and RD$3,600 if you pay by credit card. Gives you access to hatha, ying yang, vinyasa, ashtanga, hot, fusion yoga styles at that location and their sister location in Arroyo Hondo.

I joined Smartfit immediately when it opened, but it's so overcrowded that I could look for something else. Basic gym with squat rack (missing in Smartfit) and some free weights would do for me. And wouldn't mind making some swimming too.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
No, I swim there. I became a member paying RD$10,000 fee! While it would be in my personal better interest to keep shut about the pool, I here share it with DR1 Forum readers. There is much I like about living in Santo Domingo… a city which is usually blasted by forum posters… so I can't help pointing out the good things about living here…

My only concern would be that the club is really crowded with only a RD$5,000 membership fee and $RD700 a month. I paid RD$30,000 to join Club AH and it's normally $RD60,000 with $RD1,100 per month and it is still crowded there half the time-especially on weekends. Another thing that I don't like is how the pool is used for classes like a business for the club on the weekdays in the evenings.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
It works very well if you can avoid peak times. On weekends, show up at 8:30-9am and no one will be there. At nights, you will share a lane with no more than 3 people if you go at 7pm. The pool is open until 9pm. At noon, it should be quite empty too. Not to mention if you go 8am-noon, you will practically have it to yourself.

To the best of my knowledge, peak hours for the pool are weekends and holidays after 10am, weekdays from 6-7am, afternoons from 3-7pm.

If you are a member of Arroyo Hondo, check out swimming there during the early mornings. My coach self-trains himself there on Saturdays and Sundays from 7-8am. His name is Jaime Sanchez. Maybe you can get yourself in shape to join masters swimming.