Soon to be there..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheViking

Jun 24, 2015
Hi all,

Short intro: A Norwegian planning a permanently move to DR this year. Looking for all kinds of info related to a permanent stay, including recommended areas of living.

Will read forum before asking stupid questions.

Cheers from Norway!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Many foreigners like yourself have settled in La Romana, Puerto Plata, Jarabacoa and Constanza (mountain areas) Punta Cana, Samana, Santo Domingo, Santiago. Many people that first came as tourists or for work have decided to return for longer periods. While security was not an issue in the past, today it is, so living in a condominium in the cities or in a gated community, is now frequently recommended to newcomers moving to booming areas. It is so you have peace of mind when traveling.

In Santo Domingo there is lots of nightlife and cultural activities. There are all sorts of fitness activities… it is not a bad life for those who can avoid the traffic jam hours. In the other areas, cultural activities are more spaced out, and life is mostly enjoying the good weather, the beach or mountain activities and keeping in touch with the world through the Internet.

You could consider renting in Santo Domingo and then spending a year visiting the other areas. There are plenty of low cost small hotels where you can stay. Then if you get to really enjoy one area, consider renting there and staying longer….

If you find a particular area that you really like… then consider buying a home and using it as base to continue to travel and enjoy the diversity of the Dominican Republic.

Of course, if you settle down you can get involved in community activities or even start a business… but start slow.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Be SURE to have enough money to survive for a year with no income here, and to buy a ticket home.
Why the DR?
Any previous visits, or connections???????????

AS to "living areas" the DR has MANY, WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR, beach living, city living, country living.
How are your spanish language skills???????????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
May I suggest that you refer to your nearest Dominican Republic Embassy or Consulate for more information on entry and stay requirements since you state you are planning a permanent stay, assuming you wish to reside here legally.

A short vacation to explore the various places where to reside might then be your best next option since it is a very varied country.

Good luck with your plans.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Be SURE to have enough money to survive for a year with no income here, and to buy a ticket home.
Why the DR?
Any previous visits, or connections???????????

AS to "living areas" the DR has MANY, WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR, beach living, city living, country living.
How are your spanish language skills???????????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jesus! CC has gotten uniquely better at providing golden advice to answer seekers on DR1!

This is SOLID GOLD when it comes to the best advice...

Keep it going Chrissy!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Jesus! CC has gotten uniquely better at providing golden advice to answer seekers on DR1!

This is SOLID GOLD when it comes to the best advice...

Keep it going Chrissy!

hahahahahaha

Just wait until he a few brew skis in him then he will be the same ole CCCCCCC.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You should consider avoiding Santo Domingo altogether. Dirty, dangerous, crowded, terrible traffic, earthquakes, crime and smack dab in hurricane alley. Ever been through a strong hurricane? Other that that its ok. Look at the north coast. Ocean, bays, beaches, mountains, no hurricanes, breezy climate and a very nice group of people living here. Not to mention our clean and close by international airport located in Sosua. Everyone says its in POP but its really right next to Sosua which is the diamond of the north coast. I like it so much that if we had a chamber of commerce I would volunteer for free. Well, maybe not free but at reduced rates.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hi all,

Short intro: A Norwegian planning a permanently move to DR this year. Looking for all kinds of info related to a permanent stay, including recommended areas of living.

Cheers from Norway!

Like CCCC said, the DR has got a lot to offer when it comes down to styles of living. From beach to mountain hermits.

What he said about bringing enough to cover your expenses for a year is far from a joke or lightly given advice. It's the best way to try and see if you can make it here, without sacrificing security or health. Adding some comforts to that list like 24/7 power and water. It takes money.

The best way to plan a move to the DR is to come doing it all the right way. First I would advice you don't skip the visa process.

Things are changing drastically in the DR to that end and if you start it correctly from your end, all will be much easier long term.

The golden rule is to RENT, never buy (unless you have money to burn or got a sweet deal from some buddy) property in the DR for the first year or so. Try and live in some areas first, instead of one spot, so that you can get a feel for what you'll really love for a long time. Short term rentals (furnished) are the best way to do it.

Don't buy a car just yet. Rent for the shortest possible time you can as public transportation can be cheaper in most cases.

If you can't live out of two suitcases, then you packed too much to come and do the temporary living test in the DR. Less is always better. Leave ALL your winter clothes back home and think summer 365 days a year. It won't be until your second or third year when your body will get "acclimated" and start feeling some "cold" nights.

Don't drink tap water until your stomach gets the local bacterial levels you need. It takes about 6 months to build it up. Mainly from dairy and fruits. Bottled drinks are ok, anything made fresh and not boiled first or served hot, is off limits during that period.

Access to generic and brand drugs is as easy as over the counter aspirins. Medical care varies from very bad (mostly state funded) to equal or better than back home (private and pricy). You can purchase health insurance for cheap and it's the best you can do whilst living in the DR.

Whatever you do, never rent a place directly. Always use the services of a reputed agency in the DR (avoid international offers). Leases are contracts in the DR and they can sue you for that or milk you if not careful of what you rent.

As soon as you arrive in the DR open a bank account. Then another at any other bank. One account you'll use to keep the bulk of your funds from your transfer back home and the other for everyday spending. The one for everyday spending is bound to get hacked or cloned eventually. This will shield your money from anything and everything.

If it can be paid with plastic, then keep it like that. Try and keep cash in your pockets to the lesser amounts you can.

Don't get a pet in the DR during your test living. Not worth the pain for both you and the pet on the long run.

If you want to practice living in the DR before you get here, remove or give away all foods in your fridge that need constant refrigeration. If your range is electric this will be avan easier. Turn off the power in your unit and try living like that for 10 hours a day. While at home, that is. This is how many people opt to live instead of having 24/7 power via generators of inverters. Many expats do.

Just some things from the top of my head...

Krishna Duddukuri

Feb 6, 2015
Hi all,

Cheers from Norway!
Samana, Las Terrenas is beautiful but security issues. Santo Domingo is good place, bustling and overcrowded but all the administration etc is based there and also nightlife is active, but crime rate is high. Punta cana is very clean and comparatively safe but much more expensive than other parts of the country. Most important if you want to live here then you should forget your European mentality and be ready to test all the patience you have. Good luck. Also most important what do you want to do here?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You should consider avoiding Santo Domingo altogether. Dirty, dangerous, crowded, terrible traffic, earthquakes, crime and smack dab in hurricane alley. Ever been through a strong hurricane? Other that that its ok. Look at the north coast. Ocean, bays, beaches, mountains, no hurricanes, breezy climate and a very nice group of people living here. Not to mention our clean and close by international airport located in Sosua. Everyone says its in POP but its really right next to Sosua which is the diamond of the north coast. I like it so much that if we had a chamber of commerce I would volunteer for free. Well, maybe not free but at reduced rates.

"Earthquakes",......."Hurricane Alley"?????????????????
"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaht"????????????

Been living here for 20 year, no earthquakes, one hurricane.
My house is still standing.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
CCCCCCC
you truly are like a fine wine or Cheeze... meant to be enjoyed , but in moderation for sure..

LMAO..

and Awesome POST by Pichardo..

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Its concrete. You lucky so far. And you do live in hurricane alley. One day the luck runs out. No water, no food, no gasoline, public services come to a halt, no electricity for weeks, maybe months on end. 30 years in Florida and nothing but then one day we got hit. I moved out shortly thereafter. Thats another plus to living on the north coast. We are protected by the mountains. You on the other hand are right smack dab in the roadway. I hope your luck continues for another 20 years.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Hurricane alley… that is true. But more the problem with hurricanes has been that Santo Domingo has no recent memory of a hurricane… the last one to hit was Georges in 1998. That means, new construction is made with lots of glass….

Jeanne. (Category 1). 17 September 2004. East coast, Samana on the Northeast and North Coast (as tropical storm).
Georges. (Category 3). 22 September 1998. La Romana to Santo Domingo on the southern coast.

Earthquakes are an issue to have in mind on the north coast… the most recent was in 2003.

Santo Domingo is about tropical city life. Take note the many restaurants that have outdoor terraces. I guess there are those who love the city and those who hate it. I hated when they tore down the trees on Av. 27 de Febrero and Av. JF Kennedy to build the expressways, but the Metro is rescuing the city from the scourge of everyone wanting to have one, two cars. As I have said before, life is good if you can work around the peak travel time bottlenecks.

I think it is a good first base because from here you are easily accessible to get to know the west, north, northeast, south, southeast, east…. It is a university city, with lots of courses, there are many cultural activities… always something to do.

It is a good place to force yourself to learn Spanish… although you may move here in circles where everyone will speak to you in English.

Once had an high school exchange student from Norway stay with us for a month. He had the option to take the bus that stops in front of my building, but preferred the half an hour walk. He said he got to school (San Judas Tadeo) faster walking than waiting for a morning public transport bus!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Between Dolores, CCCC and Pitchy, this is one of the best "Advice for those moving to the DR" threads in a long time. Seriously, we're very close to "sticky thread" material.

TheViking

Jun 24, 2015
It support needed

vBulletin Message
Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words.

I wrote half a letter in appreciation of Your kind comments. I see job opportunities here :)

My first Caribbean adventure :alien:

TheViking

Jun 24, 2015
Thank You all for the valuable advices.

I have turned 50, being single an lost any faith in love, I am probably in my 50's crisis as they say here close to the north pole. Or realizing that I should have done this when I was 22'ish. I have no serious attachments to my home and environment. I have been fighting the local system here over some diagosis (borderline and depression), so they put me on a diabilitypension for the rest of my life. Kinda sad/happy situation.

As a former journalist, webdesigner, pubmanager and even quizmaster, I am sure I will keep myself occupied. At the moment I am selling whatever assets I have, so money is no topic.

Why DR?
I am in a situation where I for once have a choice. A lot of travelling friends have given their recommondations on where to go. I have done a half proper research on every suggestion, from most pacific islands, assorted south american countries and the carribean. I dont want to be in tourist hell (Spain, Canaries for European), although I would like to have it within decent distance (kinda contradiction, but I think U understand)

So far I have decided to go for the north coast. Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete area.

Other keywords for choosing: Low tax on property, living costs, liberal, and most importantly: Friends married to or DR or native DR living here, with the contacts locally to help me from getting screwed.

August is the best month to sell apartments here in winter wonderland, so I have no budget before september probably. I will probably arrive late July and just take it from there, my real estate agent has confirmed that I do not actually have to be present when selling, so I may just let the pro's do the work.

Hurricane, denguefever, malaria, colera, I will risk it for my search of freedom and paradise.

Some say You only live once. Now its my turn to live.

TheViking

Jun 24, 2015
Ok, I deleted a comment about drugs, and my post was acceptable (?). Just commenting in general about what I have read in the legal section. I didn't even worry about free speech. Now I do.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I have turned 50, being single an lost any faith in love, I am probably in my 50's crisis

with the contacts locally to help me from getting screwed.

You just want to them to help you get (see second bolded word)

Status
Not open for further replies.