AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Today's Diario Libre has a nice video and article about Pedernales:

[google translate]

The five best natural destinations in Pedernales

PEDERNALES . This province is located in the southwest of the Dominican Republic, on the border with the neighboring country of Haiti. A large part of his geogrf?a corresponds to the Jaragua, Sierra de Bahoruco National Parks, part of the Biosphere Reserve Jaragua Bahoruco-Enriquillo, shared with the province north of Independence.

The June 18, 2015, the government presented in a ceremony led by President Danilo Medina, the Tourism Ordinance Plan that will guide the sustainable development projects in Bahia de las Aguilas and provinces Pedernales, Bahoruco, Independencia and Barahona, comprising the Enriquillo Region.

[video=youtube;E3w2UAdO4so]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3w2UAdO4so[/video]

Los mejores cinco destinos naturales de Pedernales - DiarioLibre.com

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thanks for posting that.

I remain very keen to find time to visit again soon and explore this region much more, such was the interest it provoked on my first venture there which was with the main aim of visiting Bahia Las Aguillas (which is hardly shown in the video).

My French friends had urged me to visit a few of those places highlighted in the video but time wasn't available last time.

The lake by Los Cocos looks an interesting adventure and better than one would suspect as you see it in the distance when driving along the road to Pedernales.

When one reads all the negativity posted on DR1 about the DR, to see this reminds me of the exceptional variation this country has to offer and why I have always thought it an excellent holiday destination for the adventurous and a good retirement destination away from the expatriate enclaves and the cities.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks for posting that.

I remain very keen to find time to visit again soon and explore this region much more, such was the interest it provoked on my first venture there which was with the main aim of visiting Bahia Las Aguillas (which is hardly shown in the video).

My French friends had urged me to visit a few of those places highlighted in the video but time wasn't available last time.

The lake by Los Cocos looks an interesting adventure and better than one would suspect as you see it in the distance when driving along the road to Pedernales.

When one reads all the negativity posted on DR1 about the DR, to see this reminds me of the exceptional variation this country has to offer and why I have always thought it an excellent holiday destination for the adventurous and a good retirement destination away from the expatriate enclaves and the cities.

I liked it simply BECAUSE they didn't make it all about Bahia de las Aguilas, which everyone already knows about - even if they haven't been there. I thought the other places looked inviting and interesting, and I never heard of any of them before!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Official announces new airport at Dominican southwest: EFE

Pedernales, Dominican Republic.- Airports Dept. director Marino Collante on Thursday announced that the aerodrome a Cabo Rojo, southwestern Pedernales will be intervened "shortly" to increase its operational capacity and become international terminal, EFE reports.

Accompanied by officials and business leaders, the official toured the facilities including Cabo Rojo Port, just two kilometers from Bahia de las Aguilas beach.

President Danilo Medina had measure announced the project last February, as part of the launch of a new ecological tourism and sustainable development region in the entire "deep south" and Perdernales province.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...ounces-new-airport-at-Dominican-southwest-EFE

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Our poster "kfrancis" knows the area and swears by it. It is impressively beautiful. It is also a looong way from anywhere.

As Frank Rainieri said recently regarding his project in Bani, "tourists will not tolerate more
than an hour from the airport..." Or words to that effect..

And Pedernales is 220 km from Barahona airport...

They have announced the building of 5,000 hotel rooms in the area near Pedernales, and only direct flights from
Europe or the US/Canada could fill them...

It is interesting....let's see where this goes..

HB

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Observation from the Frontier : Airport distances

First off my good friend " Hillbilly " is slightly off on the distance from the " already existing Barahona airport " to Pedernales. Say about a 100km for it is actually 129.6km. After the Bani development announcement I did a quick Google map search to see just how far Bani was from Las Americas Airport and from the Barahona Airport.

Las Americas Airport to Bani: 88.4km with a drive time estimated at 1 hour 23 minutes. I take this is if traffic through Santo Domingo is moving along smoothly. So any further development into the SW past Bani will put this airport out of the reach of the tourist markets " one ( 1 ) hour distance " as mentioned by Sr. Rainieri.

Barahona Airport to Bani: 122km with a drive time of 1 hour 49 minutes. So it a bit farther ( 33.6km ) but the drive time will be shortened once the Azua bypass is completed in the near future.

Also if the Southwest is to be developed, as announced, then the Barahona Airport is perfectly positioned to be a major player in that development. It is why we had it built years ago so as to fore shorten all the delays that go with getting an airport built in this country. It is here and ready as it sits with the third longest runway in the RD.

While a major expansion of the " small airport " near Pedernales would definitely benefit the proposed development of the Bahia de Aguilas it would not suffice for the development of the region as a whole. The existing road systems into the Bahoruco mountains and its three ( 3 ) National Parks are all located along the Larimar Coast between Barahona and Enriquillo with the major access through Cabral to Polo. And I do not see the government creating entirely NEW roads out of Pedernales to benefit its overall plans for SW tourism development.

Just a few thoughts on the subject.

kFrancisco de Cabral

Last edited: