2,164 deaths in car accidents in 2014

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Are there any numbers available from 2013 or any other years? Didn't see that data in the article yet the executive of mortality prevention claims the number is high. He likely has information regarding this.

1,902: El Caribe ? En el 2013 hubo 1,902 muertos en accidentes de tr?nsito
per 100k inhabitants: Rep?blica Dominicana, segundo pa?s en tasa de muertes por accidentes de tr?nsito - DiarioLibre.com
other statistics (up until 2013): Oficina Nacional de Estad?stica (ONE)

Jul 28, 2014
Are there any numbers available from 2013 or any other years? Didn't see that data in the article yet the executive of mortality prevention claims the number is high. He likely has information regarding this.

Well, unfortunately most of this is motorcycle related. Something needs to improve in that regard.
As a whole, this number would equate to around 20 deaths per 100 thousand people. The US was right around that same number during the 60s, 70s & 80s but nowadays it has shrunk down to 10 deaths per 100k people.

Would be interesting to see a chart for the DR and to also assess how accurate these numbers are as there could be incidents that are not properly reported and make up for a significant amount of observations.

If you actually watch how they drive, the number is not surprising, unfortunately...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
statistics are an interesting thing. i believe one of the links stated is was only counting deaths on the spot, so to speak. taking that kind of limits in mind one knows the real number of victims, who die on the way to the hospital or in the hospital the total will be higher.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I think we should expand the Santa Samana Death Pool to also have a yearly event. I can hear the whining already.lol