Correcting history..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheViking

Jun 24, 2015
Planning on moving to the island, I see a lot of possible misleading information like;

When Christopher Columbus entered the Island, he was the first European to enter the new world.

For the record:

* approx 492 Years before the first Spanish all inclusive tourists arrived (lead by an Italian looking for India!!) The New World was discovered by Leiv Eriksson.

* it is said that Mr Eriksson concluded that "everything is ok here, no need to interfere. Lets rape and pillage Europe instead" (Well, now it is said)

* "1492 Conquest of Paradise" with Depardieu is fiction. "Vikings" on HBO is documentary.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Planning on moving to the island, I see a lot of possible misleading information like;

When Christopher Columbus entered the Island, he was the first European to enter the new world.

For the record:

* approx 492 Years before the first Spanish all inclusive tourists arrived (lead by an Italian looking for India!!) The New World was discovered by Leiv Eriksson.

* it is said that Mr Eriksson concluded that "everything is ok here, no need to interfere. Lets rape and pillage Europe instead" (Well, now it is said)

* "1492 Conquest of Paradise" with Depardieu is fiction. "Vikings" on HBO is documentary.

Columbus settlements remained and thrived despite Amerindian opposition, while Eriksson's settlements in the North American coast would all be wiped out by the Algonquins and Iroquois. Therein lies the MASSIVE difference.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
May I ask how a plan to move to DR is affected by misconceptions about which European first arrived in the Americas? I am a history buff, but that's much more passion than I could muster.

Jul 28, 2014
Pretty sure the Taino's were there before you guys, and FYI, the "Vikings" on HBO is documentary you refer to, is also inaccurate...

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
the "Vikings" on HBO is documentary you refer to, is also inaccurate...

Ok, but you got to admit, The Viking chics are hot.

katheryn-winnick-vikings-season-3-promos_1.jpg

Last edited:

TheViking

Jun 24, 2015
"The New world", used as a definition, refers to Europeans discovering the continents and islands across the Atlantic sea. My ancestor Leiv did that approx year 1000 BC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Erikson_Day

Just pointing this out while reading the Islands history. (Thats why, mofongoloco). Posted for the fun of it :)

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
History of another country for Americans starts with the arrival of the first McDonalds..

The rest is ancient,primitive pre-history.

Aug 6, 2006
The problem with the Viking discovery of America was that it did not stay discovered. No permanent links were forged between the Old World and the New.
It was pretty much insignificant, only the odd blue-eyed Indian and a few cairns of rocks was all that resulted.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Well, actually there is new scholarship that suggests that travel along the ice edge in animal skin boats yielded ancient contact between Europe and way North America. There are remarkable similarities among the tribal people of Northern Europe and northern native Americans. This is a sensitive topic among native Americans because it implies that culture is borrowed instead of indigenous. Why this matters, idk.

Aug 6, 2006
The Greenlanders never adopted reindeer, and apparently caribou are not easily domesticated. Laplanders, so far as i know, never adopted sled dogs.
Culture will be adopted in it is practical. There are similarities between Siberian natives, like Buryats, and Aleuts and Eskimoes.

There does not seem to be a major amount of similarities between Greenlanders and Laplanders. I do not claim to be an expert on this, though.

Aug 6, 2006
Nevertheless, Columbus was the discoverer who actually made the permanent connection between the New World and the Old World.

You can criticize Columbus all you like, but his discovery was the one that took.

In think all educated people knew they world was not flat in the 1400's. Columbus thought it was a sphere, like an orange, but it was a much larger sphere, like a grapefruit, comparatively speaking. Some Greek in Egypt knew how big the Earth was, but Columbus did not know of him.
Not that his boat had an odometer. Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.