american and german robbed in sosua

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Make that two Americans robbed in Sosua. We used a friends housekeeper one time. $1000 gold chain and pendant disappeared. We were very foolish. The pendant is gold and is a head study of a pit bull. Its a custom made one off piece. Most likely melted down for the gold by now. Sad part is that its of my beloved dog who passed away last month. Wife is working on it but its not likely to come back. We know better but all it takes is a moments carelessness.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
yes, objects can be easily replaced.

Not really the case. I had a picture of my old dog framed with a lock of his hair in there. The frame was silver, got nicked, never replace that.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
From NC Crimestoppers:

Sosua home invasion - 71 year old American tied up and robbed

Sosua - Three unidentified people penetrated a house located in the Playa Chiquita area of the Municipality of Sosua in Puerto Plata, and gagged and robbed a 71 year old American.

Thomas D'Powers, 71, resident in Sosua, told the police that the criminals came to his home asking if he rented apartments and then stole an undisclosed amount in Dominican pesos and dollars, three gold rings, a watch and three cell.
Other theft

In another incident, the German Ren? Kluge, who lives in the main street of Maranatha, Sosua in Puerto Plata filed a complaint against a man identified only as cache, a Haitian, who allegedly entered the company of another unidentified person to his residence breaking the latch to the front door, and removed an inversor, two batteries, Trojan brand, and a laptop computer.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Good.
And how?

donP

A guy (American) came into the office earlier and told us he had his chain ripped off his neck I presume by a moto.... he didn't say how but he got the chain back today. He didn't look 71 so maybe that means it's another separate incident.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A guy (American) came into the office earlier and told us he had his chain ripped off his neck I presume by a moto.... he didn't say how but he got the chain back today. He didn't look 71 so maybe that means it's another separate incident.

That's so common that it doesn't make the new. One of my BILs was stopped at a light, opened his window for some reason, and instantaneously a hand reached in and ripped off his gold chain. He should know better, he lives there.

All our gold stays in the US when we come there, no sense asking for trouble. If you HAVE to bring 'stuff', buy something like this. Good place for passports and extra cash too, hang a coat over it and it's invisible.

New in Box Park Avenue Hang It Safe Hidden Storage Safe w 2 Keys | eBay

beckybulasco

Apr 21, 2015
Make that two Americans robbed in Sosua. We used a friends housekeeper one time. $1000 gold chain and pendant disappeared. We were very foolish. The pendant is gold and is a head study of a pit bull. Its a custom made one off piece. Most likely melted down for the gold by now. Sad part is that its of my beloved dog who passed away last month. Wife is working on it but its not likely to come back. We know better but all it takes is a moments carelessness.

Leave gold around for house keeper to see? Trying to impress her? It did.