Dividing RD into regions?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
For a while I've been trying to find the most precise and correct way of dividing the Dominican Republic into regions, and then by selecting the region I can see the cities within this region.

I've seen several sites that divide the region in their own way, but I have yet to see two sites that match. For example, here in dr1.com, it's divided into 7 regions. This site divides it into 9 regions. Spanish Wikipedia and English Wikipedia both divide it into 3 regions, but each has different names. I've even seen sites that divide it into North, South, East, Santo Domingo. The problem is that these sites are not made by Dominicans, so they can divide the country in their own way. I'd use North, South, East, West, but I've never seen it divided that way so chances are it's wrong.

I'm trying to find the most popular way of dividing country, so that for example, if I'm looking for something in Santiago and I can't find it, there's still a possibility that I may find it in Las Vega, since they're in the same region and it's relatively close. And most importantly, that Dominicans recognize and understand what's within these regions.

Thanks

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Try getting a rudimentary grasp on the provinces maybe?

Many sites use provinces to look up things.

Of course it helps knowing that it pays to look in adjacent provinces.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The problem is that these sites are not made by Dominicans, so they can divide the country in their own way.

Are you sure about that?

Look at our own maps and the directory section, 6 clear regions.
By the way, designed by Dominicans.

Main page - Directories, Dominican Republic.

Map produced at DR1 by Dominicans.
http://www.godominicanrepublic.com/.../02/national-map-english-spanish-roads-02.pdf

The majority of the flyers, brochures, maps etc on this page are produced at DR1 by Dominicans.
Downloads | Dominican Republic Has it all

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
For a while I've been trying to find the most precise and correct way of dividing the Dominican Republic into regions, and then by selecting the region I can see the cities within this region.

I've seen several sites that divide the region in their own way, but I have yet to see two sites that match. For example, here in dr1.com, it's divided into 7 regions. This site divides it into 9 regions. Spanish Wikipedia and English Wikipedia both divide it into 3 regions, but each has different names. I've even seen sites that divide it into North, South, East, Santo Domingo. The problem is that these sites are not made by Dominicans, so they can divide the country in their own way. I'd use North, South, East, West, but I've never seen it divided that way so chances are it's wrong.

I'm trying to find the most popular way of dividing country, so that for example, if I'm looking for something in Santiago and I can't find it, there's still a possibility that I may find it in Las Vega, since they're in the same region and it's relatively close. And most importantly, that Dominicans recognize and understand what's within these regions.

Thanks

I haven't a clue what you are trying to work out but I suppose Up,Down,Left and Right would be a good start

Then you can progress to 'A bit left and up a bit' etc......

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thought about the interesting OP question a lot and never got round to answering but a regional discussion yesterday prompted me to think again and post.

Probably eight regions is my opinion, but further subdivision of one is possible:

1 The Silver Coast or as is now called the North Coast from Monte Cristi towards Nagua including the Cordillerra Septentrional. Because of likely future development of the region I would perhaps suggest this would only extend to Rio San Juan and beyond that move into my region 2 the North East and Samana.

2 North East and Samana Peninsula. It either starts at El Catey or near Cabrera but would include Sabana de la Mara and Parque Los Haitises......because of the historic links to Sanchez and the tourism to the park still is largely from Samana and Sanchez.

3 The East and East Coast. The coastal areas all the way from La Romana around to Miches along with the Cordillera Oriental and towns of Higuey, El Seibo and Hato Mayor as well as La Romana.

4 The South Coast. Split into two areas either side of Santo Domingo. San Pedro de Marcoris, Juan Dolio and Boca Chica on one side and San Cristobel, Bani and the Bani Peninsula on the other.

5 Santo Domingo. The city and suburbs from Haina in the west to Las Americas in the east and Pedro Brand in the north around to the limits of Villa Mella and San Isidro.

6 The South West. Azua, Barahona, and through to Pedernales, the Sierra Baoruco and Lago Enriquillo. The new eco destination of DR.

7 Santiago and the Cibao Valley. The valley and from Monte Cristi with its many towns including Mao, Santaigo, La Vega, Bonao, Moca, Salcedo, to the Rio Yuna delta where it enters the Samana Bay.

8. The Mountains and Valleys. The Cordillera Central, San Juan Valley, Sierra de Nieba and the hills that wrap around north of San Cristobel and Santo Domingo including those in Monte Plata province to include towns such as Monte Plata, Villa Altagracia, San Juan de la Maguana, Las Matas de Farfan, Dajabon, Constanza and Jarabacoa.

One could possibly subdivide 8 and create the a Haitian Border area.

Precise boundary positions are always up to debate.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thought about the interesting OP question a lot and never got round to answering but a regional discussion yesterday prompted me to think again and post.

Probably eight regions is my opinion, but further subdivision of one is possible:

1 The Silver Coast or as is now called the North Coast from Monte Cristi towards Nagua including the Cordillerra Septentrional. Because of likely future development of the region I would perhaps suggest this would only extend to Rio San Juan and beyond that move into my region 2 the North East and Samana.

2 North East and Samana Peninsula. It either starts at El Catey or near Cabrera but would include Sabana de la Mara and Parque Los Haitises......because of the historic links to Sanchez and the tourism to the park still is largely from Samana and Sanchez.

3 The East and East Coast. The coastal areas all the way from La Romana around to Miches along with the Cordillera Oriental and towns of Higuey, El Seibo and Hato Mayor as well as La Romana.

4 The South Coast. Split into two areas either side of Santo Domingo. San Pedro de Marcoris, Juan Dolio and Boca Chica on one side and San Cristobel, Bani and the Bani Peninsula on the other.

5 Santo Domingo. The city and suburbs from Haina in the west to Las Americas in the east and Pedro Brand in the north around to the limits of Villa Mella and San Isidro.

6 The South West. Azua, Barahona, and through to Pedernales, the Sierra Baoruco and Lago Enriquillo. The new eco destination of DR.

7 Santiago and the Cibao Valley. The valley and from Monte Cristi with its many towns including Mao, Santaigo, La Vega, Bonao, Moca, Salcedo, to the Rio Yuna delta where it enters the Samana Bay.

8. The Mountains and Valleys. The Cordillera Central, San Juan Valley, Sierra de Nieba and the hills that wrap around north of San Cristobel and Santo Domingo including those in Monte Plata province to include towns such as Monte Plata, Villa Altagracia, San Juan de la Maguana, Las Matas de Farfan, Dajabon, Constanza and Jarabacoa.

One could possibly subdivide 8 and create the a Haitian Border area.

Precise boundary positions are always up to debate.

Jarabacoa and Constanza are part of the Cibao and are in the province of La Vega. The people speak the Cibao dialect and are solidly Cibaenos.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Jarabacoa and Constanza are part of the Cibao and are in the province of La Vega. The people speak the Cibao dialect and are solidly Cibaenos.

Understood

But I guess you like to be called a mountain town too.

Rice, yucca and plantain growers with flat busy steamy towns/cities or fresh air mountain life?

The OP it appears, is seeking thoughts how to divide DR into regions that can be best understood by visitors and is not seeking to change the realities you mention.