Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Standard Schnauzer puppies

Anybody know where we can find one? thanks.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

When I lived in the DR I had my mini Schnauzer with me. I have never seen a standard size in the DR. The people that own the French cafe diagnally across from Plaza Peseo in Las Terrenas also have a mini Schnauzer. If you live near Las Terrenas you could stop there and ask if they know of anyone. Don't have any other leads.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have a miniature schnauzer. Great dogs. Cutest puppies ever. But I'd never own one in a tropical environment. They hair, as opposed to fur (i learned that there's a difference). Which means that it is prone to matting. And they have a lot of it. Keeping them properly groomed is a tedious labor of love under most circumstances. I assume it'd be a nightmare in a humid, tropical country.

I guess that you could keep it's coat constantly shaved low. But that could cause skin problems.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 standard schnauzers, both bred and brought here from Canada. Also have a mini, also bred in Canada. They have no problem here but cost me grooming $'s every 6-8 weeks.
    This is a very healthy breed, non shedding, lively and bright. Have seen a couple of these in Sosua,- visitors I'm afraid. We live here permanently and these dogs do well year round.