Going to SD Last Week of Aug. for Relocation: Need Aparta Hotel (or Apt.)

robalec

Jun 17, 2015
Hello, I'm going to Santo Domingo the last week of August as a prelim trip before I decide to relocate there. I would like to rent an aparta hotel for a month. The most important things I want for the place are:

1. Decent Management
2. Stable Wifi
3. Basic Kitchen with Utensils Provided
4. Guests Allowed
5. Decent Location
6. Aircon

I read some other threads here and got some leads on a couple places, but thought I'd throw up a new thread asking for specific guidance.

Thanks in advance!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This hotel has rooms and apartments. Here are the replies to your requests.
1.Excellent and responsive management (British so must be good)
2. Good wifi throughout
3. Basic kitchen with utensils provided
4. Not sure about guests - need to ask them
5. Great location - quiet but in Colonial Zone
6. has aircon

Also has pool, free gym, great breakfast, rooftop terrace, pool table and rooftop jacuzzi

Boutique Hotel in Santo Domingo | Casa Sanchez | Hotel in Colonial Zone

Matilda

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Their rate is over $73 a night during his projected visit.
NICE place though.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

They do offer monthly rates which start from around US$ 1500, depending on the room and the time you're staying. And you need to remember that apart hotels will include things like electricity and daily cleaning in the cost, and you don't need to pay 3 months' deposit. Casa Sanchez also has the gym they own opposite which is included.

robalec

Jun 17, 2015
Their rate is over $73 a night during his projected visit.
NICE place though.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I agree. It's nice, but too expensive - at least for me. I found the hotel drake. It looks decent - like a mid-grade option with all the basics: wifi, kithenette, etc.

Any leads along those lines would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tab

Jul 1, 2015
Try this place....

Hello, I'm going to Santo Domingo the last week of August as a prelim trip before I decide to relocate there. I would like to rent an aparta hotel for a month. The most important things I want for the place are:

1. Decent Management
2. Stable Wifi
3. Basic Kitchen with Utensils Provided
4. Guests Allowed
5. Decent Location
6. Aircon

I read some other threads here and got some leads on a couple places, but thought I'd throw up a new thread asking for specific guidance.

Thanks in advance!

This is a really nice place downtown. it's across the street from the old US consulate offices.

https://www.jardinesdelteatro.com/en/

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hotel Esmeralda Guest House, Santo Domingo

I have stayed there for a couple of months - and the rates are great but it is family run - they had a number of old guys who came down and had "steady girls" who came around so I am sure that they allow "guests" but not so sure how they would view a constant change of companions.. Sorry to be quite so explicit but thought it was best --

otherwise.. around my neighborhood - (which, I guess is pretty Red Light) here in Gazcue around Independencia and Pasteur there are a lot of places from $35 a night and up where you could base yourself -- until you figured things out..

I also like Hostal Plaza Yu but don't think it would be guest friendly.

That is the best that I can do...

Also - be mindful that the new regulations on residency are getting tough and if you do not have a secure income of $1500 or $2000 a month from a solid verifiable source, you may not get residency -- so keep that in mind.

have a great trip.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
robalec...I have a 2 bedroom apartment rented from the 4th of august till the 20th ..it is on calle espaillat....I stayed in the same apartment for a month in feb/march...excellent location...very quiet street ...felt very safe in apartment ..parking on street ...but there was a parking garage nearby ...$50 for the month...the wifi was excellent ...washer/dryer in apartment...full kitchen...very comfortable ...I highly recommend the place ...for a month I paid approx. $1000......if your interested in finding out if the place is available I can contact the owner and then give you his number if it is avaialble

robalec

Jun 17, 2015
robalec...I have a 2 bedroom apartment rented from the 4th of august till the 20th ..it is on calle espaillat....I stayed in the same apartment for a month in feb/march...excellent location...very quiet street ...felt very safe in apartment ..parking on street ...but there was a parking garage nearby ...$50 for the month...the wifi was excellent ...washer/dryer in apartment...full kitchen...very comfortable ...I highly recommend the place ...for a month I paid approx. $1000......if your interested in finding out if the place is available I can contact the owner and then give you his number if it is avaialble

I would need a 3 week deal, and please give me a landmark it is near, like a hotel or big mall, so I can research the location a bit. I like being near places in walking distance to food markets, a bakery and such: and also near access to public transport - in other words - I like good logistics.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Since you guys are talking about hotels, what you guys think of BQ hotels? I read some great reviews about it?
Thanks
It looks like Boutique is great!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I stayed at BQ in SD a couple of times. It's ok. Relevantly close to JCE and Migracion. Not exactly in the centre of the nightlife. Room rates were acceptable, limited free bottled water provided, water purchased within the hotel is at listed prices higher than the cost of gold and the in hotel restaurant while very nice, was expensive.

Free wifi that worked, pool/bar on the roof. Roof party for guests and locals almost every night.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I wouldn't survive there for very long if I didn't have at least 1,500 in steady income...lol.

It's not how much money you have coming in that counts, it's that you must have money coming in from retirement income or from property rental and you have to apply for the visa before you come here. Without wanting to start another thread on immigration, the rules are very specific and if you can't show a property rental agreement and show that money coming in, you won't get the Rentista visa which is the nice one to get.

If you do want to bring chicas back, I would definitely suggest that you go for an aparthotel rather than renting an apartment as you will have more security. I think it's fair to say that almost all of us who live here are extremely careful about who we let into our homes. Once you start reading DV8's posts, you'll quickly get up to speed on the gruesome murders which very often begin because someone had an argument with a chica.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
I stayed at BQ in SD a couple of times. It's ok. Relevantly close to JCE and Migracion. Not exactly in the centre of the nightlife. Room rates were acceptable, limited free bottled water provided, water purchased within the hotel is at listed prices higher than the cost of gold and the in hotel restaurant while very nice, was expensive.

Free wifi that worked, pool/bar on the roof. Roof party for guests and locals almost every night.

Thanks cdn_gringo! Very helpful!

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I would need a 3 week deal, and please give me a landmark it is near, like a hotel or big mall, so I can research the location a bit. I like being near places in walking distance to food markets, a bakery and such: and also near access to public transport - in other words - I like good logistics.

I am paying $500 for the two weeks ...so I would say it would be $750 for three weeks...it is basically between el conde and the malecon and not far from parque independencia

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
If OP is going to relocate, why recommend him anything in Zona Colonial? Who wants to live in Zona Colonial?

It makes sense to find an apart hotel in the same area where he wants to relocate or close to it. The question is if he will have a car for that month or no. Public transportation? In Santo Domingo? is this a joke? Rent a car and try to drive in Santo Domingo for a couple of weeks, then think again if you want to relocate here :)

There are some apart hotels on Av. Jose Contreras, on Av. Bolivar, I know at least one apart hotel in Naco, on Gustavo Mejia Ricart close to Ortega y Gasset...

I can also recommend to look for apartments on Airbnb.com

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I agree. It's nice, but too expensive - at least for me. I found the hotel drake. It looks decent - like a mid-grade option with all the basics: wifi, kithenette, etc.

Any leads along those lines would be appreciated. Thanks!

Drake on Av. Bolivar? it's located on a one–way Av. Bolivar, from 5 PM to 7 PM there is a traffic jam there Monday to Friday. And if you are going from the intersection of Bolivar and Maximo Gomez, there is a traffic disaster on that intersection all day long.