Media streaming speed.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Is it just my house or is video streaming really slow today?
I get I get 38.98/8.2 u/d to Santo Domingo.and getting 28.3/5.6 to Florida.
But forget about Netflex, I can't stream YouTube music videos without buffering.
Is anyone having same problems on Claro?

Feb 7, 2007
Not today as I am not in country but I do experience intermittent speed problems which the speed test always detect on Claros international line, most likely due to saturation of the internstionsl line so far I was able to circumvent this by using certain VPN servers, traffic routed to which did not seem to suffer from traffic shaping.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
rubio, can you explain how VPN can solve the problems with saturation of the international lines?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I've been noticing a slowdown for me between 10 pm and midnight. It doesn't seem to be the intl'l connections as speed tests show normal speeds to several servers around the world. It might be (this is only a guess at this point) Claro is reducing throughput on ports other than 25, 80, 443 based on some unpublished data usage guidelines. My speeds jump back to super fast at midnight.

Using a VPN usually bumps my throughput during the slow periods as Claro can't identify what I'm doing but these speeds are only about 2/3 of normal non-VPN, but much better than doing nothing and suffering until midnight. I admit that I am a data hog and Claro didn't see me coming when they offered unlimited data for $RDXXXX.XX

If you are streaming lots of programming, then you may have been identified as a "power-user" and are either occasionally or regularly hitting some usage limit. I assume that after a slowdown, when you login for the first time the next day the problem is gone?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I've been noticing a slowdown for me between 10 pm and midnight. It doesn't seem to be the intl'l connections as speed tests show normal speeds to several servers around the world. It might be (this is only a guess at this point) Claro is reducing throughput on ports other than 25, 80, 443 based on some unpublished data usage guidelines. My speeds jump back to super fast at midnight.

Using a VPN usually bumps my throughput during the slow periods as Claro can't identify what I'm doing but these speeds are only about 2/3 of normal non-VPN, but much better than doing nothing and suffering until midnight. I admit that I am a data hog and Claro didn't see me coming when they offered unlimited data for $RDXXXX.XX

If you are streaming lots of programming, then you may have been identified as a "power-user" and are either occasionally or regularly hitting some usage limit. I assume that after a slowdown, when you login for the first time the next day the problem is gone?

I think you are right on the Claro capping some of ports or their network is completely screwed up.

From every device that was connected all the speed test was great! I was consistantly getting 40MB+ down and 6-9 MB up to Santo Domingo and about 25+ Down and 4-6 MB up to major cities in US. But speed test was one thing and actual surfing/streaming was other. Every webpages even DR1 was loading extremely slow on all of my devices. I tried turning off what was not in use and resetting the modem, but nothing helped.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Yesterday Claro had problems, I'm pretty sure it was network wide.

I called to file a ticket and asked if they were having network wide issues but they denied that. I talked to other people I know on Claro and all of them were having problems as well.

At 12AM last night the issue stopped (I was online and feverishly checking my network).

Do not use:

Mide tu velocidad - Claro or Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test they are not good measurements. I checked those and it kept saying I was getting my full speed of 10/mbps (when in reality I was barely getting 56k speeds!)

Use:

TestMy.net Broadband Internet Speed Test which gives you the real results of your download and upload speed.

I also started to download a large file of over 1GB and monitor my network. When waiting on hold with Claro support I was getting <20kbps. Once the Claro tech was on the line with me and I told him my internet was extremely slow, my download shot up to about 100kbps - so they definitely had some way of giving priority access when this problem was going on.

Last edited:

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Yesterday Claro had problems, I'm pretty sure it was network wide.

I called to file a ticket and asked if they were having network wide issues but they denied that. I talked to other people I know on Claro and all of them were having problems as well.

At 12AM last night the issue stopped (I was online and feverishly checking my network).

Do not use:

Mide tu velocidad - Claro or Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test they are not good measurements. I checked those and it kept saying I was getting my full speed of 10/mbps (when in reality I was barely getting 56k speeds!)

Use:

TestMy.net Broadband Internet Speed Test which gives you the real results of your download and upload speed.

I also started to download a large file of over 1GB and monitor my network. When waiting on hold with Claro support I was getting <20kbps. Once the Claro tech was on the line with me and I told him my internet was extremely slow, my download shot up to about 100kbps - so they definitely had some way of giving priority access when this problem was going on.

It looks like it's accurate.

Our company is getting follow
Download :: 1.7 Mbps 213 kB/s, Upload :: 425 Kbps 53 kB/s.

According to our network monitor we are getting upto 2MB down and up to 0.41 down...
When will Fiberoptic coming to Moca....