Lost/stolen mobile phone

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Just posting this here in case someone can share experiences / tips:

My wife?s mobile phone was lost (most probably stolen, I know this because I was there) yesterday, below the details of the phone:

Samsung Galaxy S5 with a blocked SIM-card (meaning that currently in- and outbound calls are impossible with that chip) from the German T-Mobile -carrier within.

We have already spoken with the PN and thus have reported it stolen.

We have one suspect (a guy who works in a certain company, if anyone wants details, for obvious reasons sharing those only via pm) but absolutely no evidence.

Last time the phone was seen in the document compartment of an SUV.

I have already reported the phone to the carrier as well, supposedly they could be able to do something with the IMEI-code.

If the mobile phone had a SIM-card from here, it could be easily tracked obviously (if they had not taken the SIM-card out), but unfortunately that is not the case.

The phone has Android, so I have been trying to locate any apps that could help locate it as well, but mostly they claim that nothing works here.

Thanks very much in advance for any tips anyone can share.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Try calling the phone's number. It is quite common for the person who "found" it to answer and return it on payment of a "finder's fee".

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Its the DR,, its a CELL PHONE... be glad it was not somthing more, and just LET GO...
This aint the USA, where you can turn on an APP, go to the guys house, and the KID who stole it will apologize to you, and his dad give him an arse whoopin..
stop living in the North American mindset.. this is the Caribbean wild west.. you not in kansas

honestly, sometimes i just shake my head..

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Thanks all for your replies.

Just to clarify, none of us are careless in any way, and the phone was in no way "laying around", what happened was something unusual, and we lost focus just for a bit, and here?s the result.

jd426 I can assure you, none of us are in the mindset of US, and also none of us have never ever been in the US physically, we are extremely careful with things here, based on what we have seen, much more careful on average than other people :)

We went to the police because it was recommended to us due to a reason that if the phone will be used by criminals, we supposedly have evidence that we have reportedly lost ownership, and have nothing to do with the movements of the phone anymore. By doing that we were at no point expecting for them to find it.

And yes, I can fully imagine that any tracking software is useless here, just had my hopes up.

Thanks again all!

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Its the DR,, its a CELL PHONE... be glad it was not somthing more, and just LET GO...
This aint the USA, where you can turn on an APP, go to the guys house, and the KID who stole it will apologize to you, and his dad give him an arse whoopin..
stop living in the North American mindset.. this is the Caribbean wild west.. you not in kansas

honestly, sometimes i just shake my head..

A few years back while at gate for a flight departing DR I left my iphone. I was traveling with two, so since I had one in my hand didn't think to check for two. . .lol. Love 6am flights.
I land in MIA, use find my iphone and phone is in boca chica. Had wife call it. Guy answers. She says that he has my phone and even though I could brick the phone, so as to make it use;ess I would pay a regalo to get it back because of some data on it.
Guy agreed. SEnt my taxista with 1000 or 2000 pesos. Don't remember. Transaction went as planned. Then. . .for next week guy keeps calling my taxista asking for more money. He said the phone was worth hundreds of dollars etc.
Not worth hundreds to me, AT&T would just give me a new one. Just wanted some data off of it.

Finally my wife called the guy and said she knew he worked at airport since phone was "found" at departure gate. If he didn't stop calling my taxista, they would go to airport and report him.
Calls stopped.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Just posting this here in case someone can share experiences / tips:

My wife?s mobile phone was lost (most probably stolen, I know this because I was there) yesterday, below the details of the phone:

Samsung Galaxy S5 with a blocked SIM-card (meaning that currently in- and outbound calls are impossible with that chip) from the German T-Mobile -carrier within.

We have already spoken with the PN and thus have reported it stolen.

We have one suspect (a guy who works in a certain company, if anyone wants details, for obvious reasons sharing those only via pm) but absolutely no evidence.

Last time the phone was seen in the document compartment of an SUV.

I have already reported the phone to the carrier as well, supposedly they could be able to do something with the IMEI-code.

If the mobile phone had a SIM-card from here, it could be easily tracked obviously (if they had not taken the SIM-card out), but unfortunately that is not the case.

The phone has Android, so I have been trying to locate any apps that could help locate it as well, but mostly they claim that nothing works here.

Thanks very much in advance for any tips anyone can share.

Probably you had Android OS on there-Did you install Mobile Lookout Security? There is a way on that program that you can track the phone through GPS.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Probably you had Android OS on there-Did you install Mobile Lookout Security? There is a way on that program that you can track the phone through GPS.

Nope, this was one of the things we came across just now. As said, now we know how to do things in the future.

And yes, as said in the OP, it was an Android phone.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Yep, this was the first thing I came across. At least we know now for future reference...

Thanks for pointing this out!

I'm fairly certain you can at the very least see the device's location. When I check the settings, they are only needed to be enabled for locking and erasing data.

So, as long as the phone has battery, hasn't been reset, and can somehow get online, it will show the device's location.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dangerous Phones

To possess a smartphone here is dangerous*.

I have a simple cellphone with which I can make and receive calls.
{I have always thought that is what phones are made for. :paranoid:}

The phone was cheap, I think less than 1,000RD$ and even came with some credit in it.
Potential thieves feel pity with me and would probably throw the thing back at me if I gave it to them.

My wife's phone was a bit more expensive, I believe it can even take pictures... ;)

I always tell Dominicans that we could not afford the kind of phone they have.
They like that...

donP

*)
In this country they ought to have a sticker on them "This device is hazardous to your life". :chinese:

Last edited:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

The phone was cheap, I think less than 1,000RD$ and even came with some credit in it.
Potential thieves feel pity with me and would probably throw the thing back at me if I gave it to them.

My wife's phone was a bit more expensive, I believe it can even take pictures... ;)

They like that...

donP

*)
They ought to have a sticker on them "This device is hazardous to your life". :chinese:

hahahahahaha

Like the commercial where the mugger gives back the phone.

[video=youtube;vQCu6Hf2JPM]x[/video]

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

They like that...

donP

*)
In this country they ought to have a sticker on them "This device is hazardous to your life". :chinese:

As usual, smart advice , from a guy who knows...
and I aint blowing smoke up your back side... just saying it like it is...

dont be the gringo with the latest $700 phone, DONT be that guy...
too many reasons to even get into.
but i can sum it up this way... The latest expensive phones has become the " Rolex watch"..
dont be the guy with the Rolex watch..

sorry for being repetitive..

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
As usual, smart advice , from a guy who knows...
and I aint blowing smoke up your back side... just saying it like it is...

dont be the gringo with the latest $700 phone, DONT be that guy...
too many reasons to even get into.
but i can sum it up this way... The latest expensive phones has become the " Rolex watch"..
dont be the guy with the Rolex watch..

sorry for being repetitive..

If it's any consolation, I have a $300 device that's just as good if not better than the Samsung you just lost. No contract and unlocked for any carrier.

https://oneplus.net/one

Got it in with no tax on customs too.

I tried that 1000 peso phone thing, worked for about 3 weeks then broke and decided I couldn't be without my latest iphone.

I agree it is not the smartest thing ever but everything else about me looks like trash so I just hope they overlook the whole I phone 6+ thing in my hand. To me it s worth the risk, I love my iphone 6+ more than my wife and Canadian Chihuahua put together.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

They like that...

donP

*)

Fully agree.

To this point, one more thing to clarify:

This certainly wasn?t the phone my wife uses to speak or carries around, no way, if she would have wanted to do that, I would have prohibited that anyway.

This phone left the house seldom, and was only used for internet and such. The cellphone in her use is an ancient and half-broken Blackberry, for the exact reason posted above.

Like said, we are extremely careful and sometimes even paranoid with things and know a thing or two :)

My own phone (for calling/texting) here cost me 700 DOP (an old Alcatel with plastic buttons), and I?m happy with that, as I have other devices at home with which I deal with work and serious communication and such. Never had a problem of any kind :)