Buying a car with a credit card

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Is it possible? I am need of a new car. Something used, under $10k, and want to know if I can use my AMEX card to purchase it.

Anyone done this? Are there dealers in Santiago or Santo Domingo that accept credit cards?

Besides the usual issues with using a credit card down here, is there anything else I should watch out for?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Is it possible? I am need of a new car. Something used, under $10k, and want to know if I can use my AMEX card to purchase it.

Anyone done this? Are there dealers in Santiago or Santo Domingo that accept credit cards?

Besides the usual issues with using a credit card down here, is there anything else I should watch out for?

see my ad in the classifieds

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
This Ad?

USED CAR BUYING CONSULTANTS

Buying a used car in the DR can be a very daunting undertaking. As is the case in just about every other country, the used vehicle marketplace here is a very predatory ecosystem. This is not a venture which should be undertaken without the assistance and advice of people who are properly equipped to deal with the adversarial forces which always seek to separate the unsuspecting buyer from his wallet, and strive to saddle him or her with a lemon which has been misrepresented as being in pristine condition, mechanically and structurally.
Our mission is to find you a used car within your budget which will give you the good service and longevity you expect for your money.

Call Mike at 829 546 3624.

Happy Motoring.

That doesn't really answer my question though. Regardless I may be interested in your services.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This Ad?

That doesn't really answer my question though. Regardless I may be interested in your services.

yes, that is the ad i referred to..

i am not sure of exactly what things you might have in your mind. maybe you can throw out some concerns, and i will do my best to address them. as my ad says, the average guy is going to try to give you a royal flucking, and i am here to see that such romance does not happen. i have quite a few happy customers on DR1.

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Hi Gorgon, may be in touch in the next few weeks, but is it possible to use a CC or do you need to have a bank account or to transfer funds from my overseas account?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I would doubt it..

I did it once

FLA in the late 70's..... AMEX
Times have changed and RD is a different animal

My last purchase - here - I wired directly to the dealer
or you can interbank transfer if the $$ are already here

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hi Gorgon, may be in touch in the next few weeks, but is it possible to use a CC or do you need to have a bank account or to transfer funds from my overseas account?

i will call up a reputable dealer with whom i have dealings, and get back to you both later today.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013

I bought an SUV with a credit card using an Amex. i was charged a 4% fee on top of the cost. This was back in 2012 at Leonel Auto in Santiago.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There you go..... a real life story.

Glad to hear it..... I was wrong about it.

I know people who pay college tuition with a card to get the points

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
There you go..... a real life story.

Glad to hear it..... I was wrong about it.

I know people who pay college tuition with a card to get the points

A few landlords accept AMEX in NYC for rent, sorry not car related.

Looking forward to Gorgie's response.

Jan 9, 2004

Yes.....as long as Amex authorizes it and you don't care about the interest rate.

Your purchase will trigger an alert on the account, i.e, large one time purchase, foreign country, etc. Once you have cleared the alert with Amex and the dealer is authorized to accept Amex, and your credit limit is not exceeded, it is treated like any other transaction.

However, I think I would be more concerned with the interest rate.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
Yes.....as long as Amex authorizes it and you don't care about the interest rate.

Your purchase will trigger an alert on the account, i.e, large one time purchase, foreign country, etc. Once you have cleared the alert with Amex and the dealer is authorized to accept Amex, and your credit limit is not exceeded, it is treated like any other transaction.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AMEX charge cards don't have an interest rate if paid at statement cycle end. And quite frankly even if I hadn't paid it off and instead put it on my 8% APR USAA credit card it would have been decent for a DR car purchase and the protection it offered.

Jan 9, 2004
AMEX charge cards don't have an interest rate if paid at statement cycle end.

If that is the case, why not just wire the money and be done with it.

And quite frankly even if I hadn't paid it off and instead put it on my 8% APR USAA credit card it would have been decent for a DR car purchase and the protection it offered.

Protected on your USAA card? How?

If you have no other choice OK.....other than that, there is little, if any advantages.....unless you need points.

But....whatever gets you through.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

If he buys the car HERE with AMEX, THERE IS NO "INTEREST RATE".

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
just got word back from my friend who owns a dealership. he said that it is a bad idea, and the interests on the transaction will be onerous. he strongly advises against it.