Renewing Rentista Residency / Visa

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have just renewed my Rentista Residency / Visa. I know there has been a lot on here about this, so I thought I'd share my experience.

Each time I went to immigration I was seen by someone in Inversionistas within 2 or 3 minutes. They have a private office away from the main area and there is absolutely no waiting. It's very quiet, air conditioned, comfy sofas, coffee available, very nice.

I was asked to provide:

- My old residency tarjeta
- A photocopy of my cedula
- A police report (buena conducta)
- 6 months bank statements from a local bank, to show that I am actually living here and money is coming from abroad
- Two very basic forms, each 1 page
- Two photos

I went back with that, was seen immediately, all I had to do was pay and then get the Residency card. No medical. Even when I went to pay, the lady from inversionistas took me to the front of the line, stood with me and made sure I was looked after.

I have to say the staff working in this section are incredibly polite and professional, it's an incredibly simple process and is very quick. So, if you have a chance to get this Residency, I strongly recommend it. A lot of people in immigration today applying for other types of visas were complaining that they had been waiting for hours.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Thanks. That sounds good.

For example, other thread 'do it yourself renewal of temporary residency procedure' mikel posted:

"First I experienced the passport is about to expire so get a new one and come back a month later.

"Encountered the NEW director problem today but the attorney typed one out in no time but then the machine that makes the temporary cards stopped working ( very common problem here and at cedula office ) will have to return in one week on a specific day ONLY. I hope I get this resolved on my third trip this year as the costs will exceed $2000 and this is the do it yourself method with a $50 lawyer in Santo domingo getting you to the front of the line. Add the $10k flying to and living in Canada for a couple of months and I will have spent $15k by the time I get Permanent Residency. Permanent residency in the U.S. cost me $1000 total with an attorney and free appeal which I needed."

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Thanks. That sounds good.

For example, other thread 'do it yourself renewal of temporary residency procedure' mikel posted:

"First I experienced the passport is about to expire so get a new one and come back a month later.

Yes, they checked that my passport had time left on it, I don't think this is unreasonable. Most countries wouldn't even let you in if you had a passport with only one month left to run.

Remember this is the Rentista Residency, that's the one if you have income from renting out property abroad. Other people who were applying for normal renewals were waiting in line for a long time, they were all getting very angry because I just walked in and was pushed straight to the front of the line, and was out in a few minutes.