Cabarete TV Burnt out Electrical Surge

joseph01

Jun 21, 2010
At least 3 tv burnout out because of surge this week at complex. I have three tv in 2 years!!!!! myself. I have surge protector plus battery upc and still problem.What is best solution?.......100% battery tvs?......solar cell power?????

thanks to all who answer

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
At least 3 tv burnout out because of surge this week at complex. I have three tv in 2 years!!!!! myself. I have surge protector plus battery upc and still problem.What is best solution?.......100% battery tvs?......solar cell power?????

thanks to all who answer

In the states, common (metal oxide varistor (MOV)) type surge protectors
apc_official-420x272.jpg
sometimes have a shelf life in months. They do not warn you when they are about to die. They do not tell you that the next surge will wipe out both your tv and the surge protector. Surge protectors send the surge to the ground line which interrupts data transmission and is a back door into your tv and computer. Joule rating is not a real measure of protection. Joule rating degrades exponentially. One surge drops the rating up to ten times lower and after dozen or so moderate surges they practically useless. So imagine was happens in Dominican Republic-your surge protector can only absorb so many surges before it stops functioning.

Why (and When) You Need to Replace Your Surge Protector

Non MOV type protectors (they have NO wear parts):

8 Outlet Models | Zero Surge
8R15W_front_rearFixed.gif

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Always Stable

What is best solution?

I recommend to get off the grid.
Somehow, someway. Best with solar panels.

We've never been on the grid, thus never had any voltage problems.

Oh yes, once... but that came from outside... a stroke of lighting... ;)

b4a43585-a369-4a9a-b925-6d197cb68d46_zpsjoiiprbx.jpg

donP

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You may also want to look at a voltage regulator.

A good idea, but keep in mind that they do use electricity themselves while regulating the voltage, probably about 10% of the power they pass is used in regulation.

joseph01

Jun 21, 2010
thanks for your answer....... both the voltage upc regulator were a year old and not cheap......our generator comes on every day.....the first tv ...a samsung......died in front of me when generator came on......

I am thinking .......battery is an option.......but how to keep it charged......

By the way I had a tech look at tv.....and he took out the board.....put in a worst one wth transistors missing and solder visible on board....believe it.....what crap.....IS guess he collected Samsung parts......

donP

Dec 14, 2008
R.I.P. Samsung

....battery is an option.......but how to keep it charged......

Whenever the grid is on + inverter, generator, solar panels, windmill...?

I had a tech look at tv.....and he took out the board.....put in a worst one wth transistors missing and solder visible on board....believe it.....what crap.....IS guess he collected Samsung parts......

Yes, Samsung parts are good parts... :rambo:

donP