Entry ban and other penalties for targeted individuals spreading lies

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The DR gov is readying a list of people (mostly Haitians in their soils and outside of it) including many foreigners that have used media to report baseless and utter lies about the facts behind the recent Amnesty, high court ruling, voluntary deportations, etc...

Those in government posts, unless in duty, will also see themselves banned from entry to our country.

This will also affect any bank accounts currently active under their names in the DR banks. Also mandates that no DR financial institution is to do any type of business with ANY company or individual, directly or indirectly connected to these banned names.

A step further, the direct family members of said people in the list, will also be banned equally.

As they say in the DR: Vamos a ver si el gas pela!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
We are back to the days of Balaguer (during his famous -some would say infamous- 12 years)!!!!

The only difference is that now the red listed people are those spreading lies about the DR, while in Balaguer's years it was anyone suspected of being Marxists!!! They literally caught a few foreigners as soon as they stepped out of the airplane and were put on the next flight out!!! LOL

Actually, now that I think of it, this might indirectly be a redlisting of many Marxists too. They often believe in the saying "the end justifies the means" which was more often applied to lying all the way if it would create their desired results.

BTW, many of the foreigners put on the next flight out of the country often had the stamp in their passport of a communist country they probably visited. That was more than enough information for Dominican migration officials.

Last edited:

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
We are back to the days of Balaguer (during his famous -some would say infamous- 12 years)!!!!

The only difference is that now the red listed people are those spreading lies about the DR, while in Balaguer's years it was anyone suspected of being Marxists!!! They literally caught a few foreigners as soon as they stepped out of the airplane and were put on the next flight out!!! LOL

Actually, now that I think of it, this might indirectly be a redlisting of many Marxists too. They often believe in the saying "the end justifies the means" which was more often applied to lying all the way if it would create their desired results.

BTW, many of the foreigners put on the next flight out of the country often had the stamp in their passport of a communist country they probably visited. That was more than enough information for Dominican migration officials.

So this is just going back to the old days of the republic?

btw, these are lies in the eyes of the current government. Slippery slope this one is.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When you are a guest in another country you have to remember you are a guest.

Same when you are a guest is someone's home. Bad mouth the host and you probably won't be asked to stay or come back.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The DR gov is readying a list of people (mostly Haitians in their soils and outside of it) including many foreigners that have used media to report baseless and utter lies about the facts behind the recent Amnesty, high court ruling, voluntary deportations, etc...

Those in government posts, unless in duty, will also see themselves banned from entry to our country.

This will also affect any bank accounts currently active under their names in the DR banks. Also mandates that no DR financial institution is to do any type of business with ANY company or individual, directly or indirectly connected to these banned names.

A step further, the direct family members of said people in the list, will also be banned equally.

As they say in the DR: Vamos a ver si el gas pela!

slippery slope. i am aware that the DR ranks way low on press freedom and such, but this persona non grata thing can come back to bite you in the ass, big time. i know this. i remember when the US Ambassador DeRoulet was kicked out of Jamaica by the Manley government for what Manley considered to be meddling. well, take a quick look at the economic and social fortunes of Jamaica since circa 1976, and you will see what i mean.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
slippery slope. i am aware that the DR ranks way low on press freedom and such, but this persona non grata thing can come back to bite you in the ass, big time. i know this. i remember when the US Ambassador DeRoulet was kicked out of Jamaica by the Manley government for what Manley considered to be meddling. well, take a quick look at the economic and social fortunes of Jamaica since circa 1976, and you will see what i mean.

would you care to provide the RANKINGS??...it seems to to me that NO ambassador or goverment official IS spreading LIES going full speed on the DR bashing wagon, is it dreaddy?? nice to see you here!!

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
For acts of violence and such but solely for speech?

Another question....who decides if they are lies or not? Anything could be a lie if it is spun properly.

actually is VERY easy to decide, let's say you Write that there are deportations of Dominican Citizens...if you Can't prove that statement what does that makes you?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
actually is VERY easy to decide, let's say you Write that there are deportations of Dominican Citizens...if you Can't prove that statement what does that makes you?

I am not really talking about this situation. I would be more concerned about where this would take the country. It is one small step from worrying about what you say on the street about the government or policy, needing to speak in hushed tones. Freedoms once given away are very difficult to re attain.

This is not DR bashing, this is concern.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010

Gorgon ... is THIS what you are referring to (very interesting results!) ..... :cool:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index
https://index.rsf.org/#!/