Is The North Coast A Dried Up Area For The Small Bar Owner?

pagerage

Jan 8, 2002
Read an interesting bit-o-info the other day.... this fellow stated that the north coast of the DR was drying up as a profitable area of business for the small bar/restaurant owner. His theory was that the all-inclusive resorts were keeping the tourists away. Is this true? He stated, as proof, an increased number of bars/restaurants up for sale/lease. I have seen these listings on various sites and have wondered the same thing myself.... Why would someone leave something so profitable for so little? How much do these various bars make net? Of course depending on size. Just wanted the "real deal" from folks who actually live there on the north coast. Thanks!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Running a bar or restaurant is always hard labour. Returns CAN be good if you have a theme & can get a regular clientelle. This will take time anywhere but here on the north coast where we rely so much on the tourists for our INCOME (either directly or indirectly) it is much harder now due to the shortage of tourists coming in. All inclusive hotels HAS made for a decline of bars & restaurants true, but the main problem is that a declining tourist population is stagnating business generally & the local population (ex-pats & Dominicans alike) tend to conserve their income a bit more now.

Agreed I don't go out eating often as I love the food my wife produces, but on the rare occasions we do go out to celebrate something, we have had no difficulty getting a table at the restaurant of our choice, even if we don't make the reservation until the day itself. When we get to the restaurant, we find that generally there are only 3 or 4 other tables being utilised & this is in the more popular restaurants!!

Please feel free to send me an e-mail if you require more specific information. We have lived in Puerto Plata for 9 years, we LOVE it & will not be returning to Britain's cold climate ever (nor anywhere else for that matter). - Grahame Bush.