introducing

easykayaker

Jul 5, 2015
Hi
I'm easy kayaker , at this time I vacation in Dr about 2 months in the winter and fly down every month or so . I have a place just outside sosua . But I am interested in Bonao? Could someone give me some advice on the area?
I will be retiring in a few years and will be spending more time in Dr then.

Thanks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Welcome to DR1, I think we have a couple of members with ties to Bonao, so hopefully they will chime in.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Welcome to DR1, I think we have a couple of members with ties to Bonao, so hopefully they will chime in.

Welcome.

I lived about 20 minutes drive from Bonao and did my weekly shopping there. Had a family member of my ex-esposa living there too.

I like the town very much. Indeed I had thoughts myself of settling there.

There are a few Canadians living there as I understand and are associated with the Falcando nickel mine.

There is La Sirena supermarket there just opposite the university where you can get all you need. And failing that you are under an hour to Santo Domingo or Santiago on Autopista Duarte.

There are a couple of nice suburbs within the town with some nice simple style Dominican properties.

The setting of Bonao is great with the mountains behind. Dominicans love to go their for the rivers on the towns edges. And the chicas are perhaps some of the best looking in the country.

As with much of the Cibao, you can expect radical politics. Strikes are not uncommon. Unions are strong.

I've never felt unsafe there and I have spent many a night out with Dominican friends drinking within the town and on it's edges.

There are a couple of decent small private hospitals.

When it rains the run off from the mountains can turn the roads into rivers.

I often bought fruit and veg at the town market.

Land and house prices will be very competitive but you will need to negotiate hard.

Very Dominican town and a good choice if you have connections there or nearby.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Good and Bad

It is interesting how much opinions differ:

Bring your boots as the whole place floods on a regular basis. Be prepared to be the only gringo for miles around. Make sure you are armed as crime is rampant and as a gringo you are a prime target. Never lived in a worse spot in my life. In an effort to find something positive Bonao does have good mountain motorcycling.

donP

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
It is interesting how much opinions differ:

donP

I guess I am 'dominicanized' and very adaptable. lol

Seriously I investigated buying a place there. I mentioned the floods. And I was always in Dominican company and it is a very Dominican town with very few gringos.

Some people adapt well others look for home comforts. I've lived all over the world sometimes in extreme situations.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Good Knowledge

I guess I am 'dominicanized' and very adaptable. lol
(...) I've lived all over the world sometimes in extreme situations.

... that's why I always appreciate your assessments... :classic:

donP