What Ever Happened to the Canadian Girl Who Opened a Restaurant in Sosua?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I decided the start this thread after seeing that a couple of creepy douche bags emm hmm WW have been slapping my name around all over these boards.

Two of the threads were closed ? thanks DV8 because clearly I hadn?t been here to defend myself so here I am to say my piece.

Inquiring minds what happened to me and my restaurant?. Well?.

Aside from being fleeced by Ayunamiento in Sosua on the regular which included having my sign confiscated twice despite my lawyer having received permission and despite that opening a business in Sosua lit me up like a light bulb causing every ladrone to become aware of me and thinking I have money leading me to having my apartment broken into, I have mentioned on other threads (including the one I opened promoting my business as a PAID advertiser on DR1) that I also own a business in Canada ? a quite successful one in fact.

The fact that I had an excellent manager running the show here, afforded me the ability to pursue the business in Sosua. Unfortunately in August, around the time I opened the business she announced she was pregnant. Here in Canada, as an employer that makes her entitled to 1 year of Mat leave which she can start at any point in time. She decided to take it in December of 2014. Not as romantic a tale as some here who don?t even know me have told?. Sorry to disappoint.

Prior to her mat leave and as I mentioned here ? in November my apartment was broken into. This was rather terrifying and led me to do some real soul searching. Hmmmm? with my manager coming up to mat leave ? should I:

a. Continue to pursue a business which was barely breaking even, continually be stressed out by the BS town government, risk my life and above all else be absent from a successful business here in Canada?. or;
b. Sell everything and go back to spending time in DR off the radar and as my business at home permits

I took option b.

In November I sold all of my furniture and got rid of the apartment. In January I closed the business and sold all the equipment and furnishings there.

All in all I lost a total of $5k and learned valuable lessons about the types of ventures I would and would not get involved in, in DR.

My manager has now been off 7 months. I have been in Canada working my A$$ off which is why I haven?t had all the time in the world on my hands to check in here. I have another few months to go and then I will have my freedom back!

Until then I will continue to work my a$$ off and I am also pursuing my immigration certification in both Canada in the US in what little spare time I have - so maybe in the future I will open a business doing something in that arena.

So?. Strange little old men who seem to have me firmly implanted in their minds to keep bringing me up here ? Get and effing life!!!!! Oh and should you want to continue posting lies and things you have made up about me --- please be gracious enough to follow the rules and post your full name and address - not email address, home address.

To all the DR1?ers who I was grateful enough to have met when I had the restaurant --- that was one of the greatest benefits I gained from the whole ordeal. I met so many fantastic people and friends who I hope to know my entire life =) =) and that my friends is priceless!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
A Very Normal Story

(...) In January I closed the business and sold all the equipment and furnishings there.
All in all I lost a total of $5k and learned valuable lessons about the types of ventures I would and would not get involved in, in DR.

Well, yours is just another story of people who come here and open a bar or a restaurant and fail.
Guess what? You are not the only one. :p

But maybe you can give valuable advice to other lemmings?

Your loss of 5,000 USD is peanuts, nothing really to lament about.
Perhaps you'll even come back and try again? :classic:

donP

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well, yours is just another story of people who come here and open a bar or a restaurant and fail.
Guess what? You are not the only one. :p

But maybe you can give valuable advice to other lemmings?

Your loss of 5,000 USD is peanuts, nothing really to lament about.
Perhaps you'll even come back and try again? :classic:

donP

exactly! i am happy to know that she only lost 5 large. others have lost a lot more.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Yeah i am not upset at all about the amount lost. I did really well selling off the equipment and furniture because I got great deals in Santiago in the first place. There was huge potential because 2 programs I had running started doing really well but I needed to be there and I couldnt be. Not to mention it became extremely stressful which was not the point. I had people showing up at my home trying to sell me things for the business - like how do you know where I live?? Did you follow ke here?? Just gross. Then the break in :( Personally I would never go into the restaurant business again for some many reasons. I am an entrepeneur though so no doubt that will not me my last business venture.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Gee wiz, how can someone with such a pleasant personality and disposition and who reportedly knows all there is to know about business FAIL...shocker ...people with all the answers always prosper je je je. cant wait for CC to chime in

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Not for Everyone

Yeah i am not upset at all about the amount lost. (...) I am an entrepeneur though so no doubt that will not me my last business venture.

As it is always said, the Dominican Republic is not for everybody.

I am glad, your experience did not get the better of you.
It looks like you came out stronger after all.
You'll succeed in the future, no doubt.
All the best!

donP

Aug 6, 2006
Sorry to hear about your losing money. As I understand it, most restaurants do not tend to last for over a year. It is a complicated venture that may be most ideal for a really large, close family to run.
It is much more than just being a great cook and relating well to people.

Best wishes on your future life and ventures.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I decided the start this thread after seeing that a couple of creepy douche bags emm hmm WW have been slapping my name around all over these boards.

Two of the threads were closed – thanks DV8 because clearly I hadn’t been here to defend myself so here I am to say my piece.

Inquiring minds what happened to me and my restaurant…. Well….

Aside from being fleeced by Ayunamiento in Sosua on the regular which included having my sign confiscated twice despite my lawyer having received permission and despite that opening a business in Sosua lit me up like a light bulb causing every ladrone to become aware of me and thinking I have money leading me to having my apartment broken into, I have mentioned on other threads (including the one I opened promoting my business as a PAID advertiser on DR1) that I also own a business in Canada – a quite successful one in fact.

The fact that I had an excellent manager running the show here, afforded me the ability to pursue the business in Sosua. Unfortunately in August, around the time I opened the business she announced she was pregnant. Here in Canada, as an employer that makes her entitled to 1 year of Mat leave which she can start at any point in time. She decided to take it in December of 2014. Not as romantic a tale as some here who don’t even know me have told…. Sorry to disappoint.

Prior to her mat leave and as I mentioned here – in November my apartment was broken into. This was rather terrifying and led me to do some real soul searching. Hmmmm… with my manager coming up to mat leave – should I:

a. Continue to pursue a business which was barely breaking even, continually be stressed out by the BS town government, risk my life and above all else be absent from a successful business here in Canada…. or;
b. Sell everything and go back to spending time in DR off the radar and as my business at home permits

I took option b.

In November I sold all of my furniture and got rid of the apartment. In January I closed the business and sold all the equipment and furnishings there.

My manager has now been off 7 months. I have been in Canada working my A$$ off which is why I haven’t had all the time in the world on my hands to check in here. I have another few months to go and then I will have my freedom back!

Until then I will continue to work my a$$ off and I am also pursuing my immigration certification in both Canada in the US in what little spare time I have - so maybe in the future I will open a business doing something in that arena.

So…. Strange little old men who seem to have me firmly implanted in their minds to keep bringing me up here – Get and effing life!!!!! Oh and should you want to continue posting lies and things you have made up about me --- please be gracious enough to follow the rules and post your full name and address - not email address, home address.

To all the DR1’ers who I was grateful enough to have met when I had the restaurant --- that was one of the greatest benefits I gained from the whole ordeal. I met so many fantastic people and friends who I hope to know my entire life =) =) and that my friends is priceless!

I'll make sure I show the old guys how to post a link to this should they ever mention your name again.

Best of luck in your future ventures :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Gee wiz, how can someone with such a pleasant personality and disposition and who reportedly knows all there is to know about business FAIL...shocker ...people with all the answers always prosper je je je. cant wait for CC to chime in

Really unnecessary and rude.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I don't recall her acting like a business know it all. Actually, she came with a lot of questions and wanted to know what everyone thought about her plans and the healthy drinks she had in mind.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
her post refering to members as douch bags and creepy is OK ... I know you dont like or agree with me , just epresssing my sarcastic opinion :)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
It can be done though.

... about her plans and the healthy drinks she had in mind.

I for one think, that her failure had to do with Sos?a as a venue.
Here in Las Terrenas there is a kiosk (near 'Abundio') where a Dominican family (?) sells juices and mixed drinks.
And they are good!
There are always customers there, also travellers, gringos, so the place must have had some word-of-mouth.

donP

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
her post refering to members as douch bags and creepy is OK ... I know you dont like or agree with me , just epresssing my sarcastic opinion :)

Yes and youre one of them and my observations pale in comparison to things you have said to and about me. Following someone from thread to thread like youve done in the past, remembering to bring someone up again and again after months of them not being here is creepy. I never claimed to know all in business but one thing I do know if when something is not going to work to cut my losses.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I for one think, that her failure had to do with Sos?a as a venue.
Here in Las Terrenas there is a kiosk (near 'Abundio') where a Dominican family (?) sells juices and mixed drinks.
And they are good!
There are always customers there, also travellers, gringos, so the place must have had some word-of-mouth.

donP

You're right venue does matter big time and while
I love Sosua, Ayunamiento is so messed up and does more
to harm local businesses then help... But I wont go there

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Sorry to hear about your losing money. As I understand it, most restaurants do not tend to last for over a year. It is a complicated venture that may be most ideal for a really large, close family to run.
It is much more than just being a great cook and relating well to people.

Best wishes on your future life and ventures.

I think you are bang on. I was also
Supposed have my sisters help which also didnt happen. I agree with the restaurant business a family makes so much sense. You really have to be there all the time and cameras dont do the job.

Also thinking being across from Infiniti Blu wasnt as safe of a bet as I thought. With Villa
Carolinas behind me it made the patio uncomfortable. Noisy, piles of motos and the stuff that was going on after dark -
I wont go there either. But is it my right to tell them to move? No. I didnt do enough homework on my location.

There were many mistakes BUT again I made
some of the best friends ever!! And have so many amazing memories. But yeah - restaurant business in the future is a hell no for me :)

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Good luck in your future endeavours. But 'strange little old men'....really?

Yes. There are 4-5 of them. They started 2 threads dedicated to trashing me and I only became aware because recently in someone elses thread they got started again. My observation has complete merit. They are all old, most are creepy and by the things they have said - not knowing me from Adam was douchebag behaviour.

When you start hearing from friends that you have threads opened
Dedicated to trashing you months after you fall off the grid - thats creepy

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Yes. There are 4-5 of them. They started 2 threads dedicated to trashing me and I only became aware because recently in someone elses thread they got started again. My observation has complete merit. They are all old, most are creepy and by the things they have said - not knowing me from Adam was douchebag behaviour.

When you start hearing from friends that you have threads opened
Dedicated to trashing you months after you fall off the grid - thats creepy

Do you have any idea why these 4 or 5 guys started trashing you ?

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Do you have any idea why these 4 or 5 guys started trashing you ?

No idea. Ive never met any of them. In fact they are usual suspects who do it to many people here. Guess they like the anonymity of being able to make things up and insult people from behind their ity bity little computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.