Dominican Republic food imports jump 17% in March to US$220.5 M

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
As many urban areas in the USA are dominated with a mix of small amounts of high quality foods, out of the price range and convenience of the typical economic middle class. While having a majority of unhealthy artificially favored, pesticide treated, genetically modified, antibiotic and steroid injected foods saturating most stores. The choices of foods at gas stations, grocery stores and convenient stores are limited to a handful of brands, the unhealthy variety.

The DR has an increase in food imports partial stimulated by tourist, expats and economically upper class Dominicans. So far the DR has not fully assimilated it's food supply to mirror store shelves in the USA, that would be tragic.

Why hasn't the agriculture sector of the island transition more into the market share occupied by imports?

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...lic-food-imports-jump-17-in-March-to-US2205-M

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
As many urban areas in the USA are dominated with a mix of small amounts of high quality foods, out of the price range and convenience of the typical economic middle class. While having a majority of unhealthy artificially favored, pesticide treated, genetically modified, antibiotic and steroid injected foods saturating most stores. The choices of foods at gas stations, grocery stores and convenient stores are limited to a handful of brands, the unhealthy variety.

The DR has an increase in food imports partial stimulated by tourist, expats and economically upper class Dominicans. So far the DR has not fully assimilated it's food supply to mirror store shelves in the USA, that would be tragic.

Why hasn't the agriculture sector of the island transition more into the market share occupied by imports?

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...lic-food-imports-jump-17-in-March-to-US2205-M

I am confused. Are you suggesting the DR provide more "unhealthy artificially favored, pesticide treated, genetically modified, antibiotic and steroid injected foods saturating most stores" to mirror store shelves in the USA?

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
I am confused. Are you suggesting the DR provide more "unhealthy artificially favored, pesticide treated, genetically modified, antibiotic and steroid injected foods saturating most stores" to mirror store shelves in the USA?

That is not the point, I state portentously it would be tragic, if it was the case.

Consider producing domestic products to displace the imports, is the point.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
That is not the point, I state portentously it would be tragic, if it was the case.

Consider producing domestic products to displace the imports, is the point.

Good. I was surprised to see cauliflower imported from the Salinas Valley of California. Not what I want to eat here : ) And, who knows how long it had been here. I assume it came on an airplane, but it was very tired : )

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I'll take the genetically modified, pesticide treated, antibiotic filled food any day.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
and if you don't think they are doing the same thing here you are sadly mistaken.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Himalayan Salt Anyone?

and if you don't think they are doing the same thing here you are sadly mistaken.

Yes, this is a major problem.
In this country there is hardly any control (Yes, I know there is an agency for that...) and I am sure that many local produce are full of poisons (herbicides, pesticides and way too much artificial fertilizers).

The ingredient labels of most US imports usually have a long list of chemicals and I try to avoid them.
European food stuff is much more controlled and has a high standard; its quality is better than US foods.

The other day I saw Himalayan salt (pink) in 'Lindo' supermarket in Las Terrenas.
Now, that is what we need, right? :devious:

donP

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
Yes, this is a major problem.
In this country there is hardly any control (Yes, I know there is an agency for that...) and I am sure that many local produce are full of poisons (herbicides, pesticides and way too much artificial fertilizers).

The ingredient labels of most US imports usually have a long list of chemicals and I try to avoid them.
European food stuff is much more controlled and has a high standard; its quality is better than US foods.

The other day I saw Himalayan salt (pink) in 'Lindo' supermarket in Las Terrenas.
Now, that is what we need, right? :devious:

donP

Fruit and vegetables in the DR I purchased, were more palatable than an average super market in the U.S.A. It is one of the appeals the DR has, which I hope it retains.

Decreasing produce imports and increasing domestic production of superior quality, help the local economy with job creation. I can even see shipments to the entire Caribbean performed cheaper and faster than any North American or European suppliers. Preservatives and large fuel cost are a necessity for imports. The DR could ship by barge to Puerto Rico, Turks and both Virgin islands.

Island countries are highly concern about inflation. Here is a solution if they wresting the business away for those making money on imports.

Aug 6, 2006
Many of the largest fortunes in the DR and other Latinoamerican countries are made by the people known (in both Spanish and English) as los compradores.
They buy low and sell high and make a bundle by doing so. The word simply means "the buyers".

We have a lot of these people in Miami. For the last year, some very classy packaged mango juice from Egypt, labeled "Faragelo Gold" has been appraring off and on in Latino supermarkets all over South Florida.
Originally it was priced at $2, but last week I bought a half dozen liters for 59?. The due date is drawing near,and some comprador must have
bought a huge amount of it when Egypt was in crisis a while back.

Sometimes Peruvian chicha appears here. It is made with purple corn, pineapple and lots of sugar and quite tasty.

The compradores that import more well known merchandise are more invisible, but I am sure that they have a huge influence on the DR government.
I imagine that the Egyptian mango juice was a part of some deal to keep Egypt solvent. Egypt seems to be run by two types of buffoons, Islamists and military. Quite unfortunate for the people.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

The DR is food sufficient. It imports what it wants - not what it needs. Certainly there are some items - like wheat - which do not grow here - but the DR - in fact - exports both fruit and vegetables and fish.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: A High-Tech Garden of Eden | Inter Press Service

the one area that it has not sufficient - where it could really upgrade - is dairy - miliking cows.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
DR locally grown food, I agree is sufficient and healthier. I am referring to a trend in consumption relative to the demand. The U.S. has health and quality of life issue because they have become less like the DR in their diet. Consuming too much artificial and modified process foods.

It is one of the U.S.A. bad habits I hope the DR and other Caribbean countries does not evolve into developing.
Why a 'Western' diet could be bad for you - CNN.com

Aug 6, 2006
I do not think that many of the favorite Dominican dishes are particularly good for people. Too much grease, too much sugar, too much salt, too much rice and not enough variety of vegetables and fruit.

The usual way that Dominicans fry potatoes makes them a lot greasier than typical American French fries...which are also too greasy and salty.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
I do not think that many of the favorite Dominican dishes are particularly good for people. Too much grease, too much sugar, too much salt, too much rice and not enough variety of vegetables and fruit.

The usual way that Dominicans fry potatoes makes them a lot greasier than typical American French fries...which are also too greasy and salty.

I was lucky to have a few home cooked meals.

It appears I can not post images here of my meal.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i need someone to give me an explanation of what could account for an increase of imports of 17% in one month.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
The dr people should introduce healthier meals at home,and as fast food. Rice and other white starches puts on the pounds and boost sugar levels, so its not healthy. I love me rice and beans and yuca n plantains, but people cant eat like that everyday.
Milks and cheeses, beans chicken and other protiens, greens .... gotta mix it up! Im lucky i live in the states near a veggie and fruit $1 store /wholesaler that serves an pacific asian and latino community.
The campo land of the DR is fertile enough to grow varieties of squash, broccoli cauliflower and all the different varieties of verduras to fill the plates of many hungry people, without the need for pica pollo or fried salami and tostones breakfast.
The big problem is not enough baking, everything frito or boiled. I had to visit a few different fincas to get supplies because all the colmado had was platanos and batata. Eso no se use aki!
To import all that product for american branded resturaunts , and to feed all those tourist with imported crap, people are really missing out.