Anyone Ever Fail Residency Medical???

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I keep reading about the medical that's necessary for residency/naturalization.

What exactly are they testing for? Is it contagious diseases??

Anyone know someone who has failed it?

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Yes, I was told they are checking blood test for illegal drugs (not specific about which) and HIV. They do chest x-ray to check for tuberculosis.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
TB, HIV, Syphilis, and Hepatitis B & C and drug use.....I believe (from a quick look at the form they have and this is the Caribbean norm)........they do ask you about your general health.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I think lotto if they carry out the tests on the samples thoroughly. I believe every step is a bit of a lotto on what you get checked on, from drugs to criminal background to medical conditions, to financial status. I know they don't treat everyone the same.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
On another thread...LOL

Hep C is enough to be denied everywhere, it's not lotto.

Funny, I've had work permits in DR, TCI, St.Maarten, Curacao, Trinidad, Bahamas, and now in Anguilla.. I have residency in DR, and I have Hep C. Never been questioned about it. FYI, there now is a cure for Hep C too!. 12 weeks, 1pill per day. $1,145.00 per pill..

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Funny, I've had work permits in DR, TCI, St.Maarten, Curacao, Trinidad, Bahamas, and now in Anguilla.. I have residency in DR, and I have Hep C. Never been questioned about it. FYI, there now is a cure for Hep C too!. 12 weeks, 1pill per day. $1,145.00 per pill..

There are several different medicines to try to cure Hep C, there is no guarantee cure, and your body will always host the antibodies even if successful. But yes, about 60% success rate.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth

Lucky you. I've had colleagues rejected because of Hep C, but not in the DR. And another funny thing. I have a Hep C vaccination in my vaccination book from a DR doc in 2000, I needed A and B, no cure for Hep C in 2000 for sure, but he decided to give me one of those as well. What he gave me I don't know but I'm still alive. So I guess I have to take my words back, it's probably lotto.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
they me the secret to that is Cranberry juice

drink it 'til you explode...

you'll pass..........

My son, who has undergone numerous drug tests for working in the oil patch swears by cranberry juice and some other concoction he buys online that has to be taken within 8 hours of the test. He hasn't failed a test yet. Of course this is just for pot.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I remember reading a long time ago now that someone had taken a pain killer medicine which included Codeine and they failed the medical based on that showing up when analysed.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I remember reading a long time ago now that someone had taken a pain killer medicine which included Codeine and they failed the medical based on that showing up when analysed.

But the do ask you before the urine and blood tests if you have or are taking any medications.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
But the do ask you before the urine and blood tests if you have or are taking any medications.

Accept what you are saying there but many from where I come from, i.e. the UK, would not consider that Codeine is a 'drug' which needs mentioning even when combined with Paracetamol (acetaminophen)

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I have taken zopliclone and codeine in copious amounts over many years due to injury and insomnia. I could have been taking loads of illegal drugs and they'd have never showed up as significant in my system. You're best to tell them you're on as many meds as possible before the test. They don't have analysis for everything so....... anything they do find, oh, must be -------------one or whatever.

With the HepC thing someone was banging on about. If you get tested an they send the test to be tested, ge initial test comes back as you having HepC. Even if you have gone through the treatment and are clear. Ever0n if your HepC is not active in your sysytem, tests still show it is as you have the antibodies, always will.
And so if you got texted for HC and they didn't even call you back to explain, it means they didn't test it. There is a second test taken to prove you are not carrying anything more than antibodies all HepC past sufferers must take, if checked.