Hotel La Catalina Closing!

Left on Red

Mar 10, 2012
Sad news to just learn that Cabrera's hub of so many years, Hotel La Catalina, will be closing August 1. I remember our first stay there on our very first trip to the DR back in 2000. Breakfasts were legendary....homemade peanut butter, fresh squeezed mango and papaya juices, and the fluffiest, freshest scrambled eggs on the planet. With a soft breeze and heavenly view, to boot.
We, like so many, took up residence there while building our own home. The bar, which doubled as everyone's living room, and Paulino's (aka Coco) taciturn yet warmhearted way, will be sorely missed. (How much he tolerated our rowdy nights! With a studied graciousness, never judging (key traits for a good bartender), and an occasional cracked smile). It has been our default on any given day; if we did not feel like preparing breakfast, lunch or dinner.....we simply scooted up the hill.
Somebody please come to the rescue! I hear the owners would take less than a mil. Might be a maintenance nightmare, but would keep a few dozen wonderful locals employed, and the expat community glued.
I cannot imagine life in Cabrera without it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Fast fingers today , Leftie.....

Agreed on all points.
I have been on it back in March, April with little success but will start again

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the idea of splitting is a good one....

but Cabrera restaurants have a poor history......... Catalina's might be the best track record
those captive condos help.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Tired of it, it seems... family has big money and could afford it if they wanted to...

but..................
not right really, IMO

gibbs

May 31, 2005
Terrible news...we loved that place and it's closing the day we get there

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
can we chip in ??? a million is:bored:nt much is it... does anyone have pics???how many rooms etc

farmchef

Sep 20, 2015
Is this business worth a million?

Is hotel Catalina's business busy enough to cash flow that big of investment? Why did they close it? What are the maintenance
issues? Looks like beautiful property but can you make money there?