Police Reform

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
DR1 Yesterday:

National Police launches Forum on Police Reform

On Monday, 6 June, the heads of the National Police met for the "First Inter-Institutional Forum on Police Reform." The initiative is sponsored by the Foundation for Institutionalism of Justice (Finjus), the United Nationas Development Program (UNDP) and the United States Development Agency (USAID).

The Forum calls for the adoption of an integrated process to reform and modernize the National Police, stressing improved professionalism within the rank and file and leadership to better respond to the present and future needs of Dominican society.

Major General Manuel Castro Castillo, head of the National Police; Servio Tulio Castanos, executive vice president of the Foundation for Institutionalism and Justice (Finjus); Alexandria Panehal, director of USAID and Lorenzo Jimenez de Luis, representing the United Nations Development Program were present at the opening.

In his opening remarks, Castro Castillo admitted that although there have been reforms within the department, the lack of an effective communications strategy has led the public to conclude that the police force has not embraced change.

As well as Castrol Castillo, other speakers during the first session of the forum were general prosecutor William Camacho; journalist Rafael Molina Morillo, executive editor of El Dia newspaper; Senator Julio Cesar Valentin, and Servio Tulio Castanos from Finjus.

Polic?a Nacional inicia Primer Foro Interinstitucional sobre Reforma Policial -

There are some interesting articles and editorials out there today about this subject and it would be interesting to hear some poster views abut this pressing issue.

Is this another of Danilo's quiet effective reforms about to start? Big challenge.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Blah blah blah.... police reform... nothing can be changed, because Dominicans are Dominicans. Go to Costa Rica and see the police there, they are normal. But Dominicans.... never ))) these PN "officers" look worse than haitian beggars, and they act worse than any criminals. Just another street trash but with the badge and the gun. Salary increase? blah blah blah... will not change anything.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
If you ever have been shaken down by a drunk cop for a bottle of Brugal....it is very hard to take talk like this seriously.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I remember one of my friends came to DR first time, rented a car at the airport, and when he drove to Santo Domingo police stopped him on Las Americas highway and asked for some pesos for a sandwich because they were hungry.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
One night, I was stopped and shaken down for money because this PN was hungry; only to drive another 15 minutes to be stopped with another extortion attempt.
Once you have been stopped and extorted by the cops you will have no trust in the PN.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
One night, I was stopped and shaken down for money because this PN was hungry; only to drive another 15 minutes to be stopped with another extortion attempt.
Once you have been stopped and extorted by the cops you will have no trust in the PN.

my buddy and i were at a traffic light in Santiago a few months ago, and two cops on a motorcycle told us to pull to the side of the road. he looked at everything in our pockets, and my buddy?s passport was expired. he told us that he would let it slide if we gave him 75,000 pesos, otherwise he would have him deported. we told him to take us to immigration, and we would see what happens. he came all the way down to 5000, and we told him to go crap in a hat.

i saw him last month walking near the store called Merkaven, holding a colostomy bag. hope i spelled that right. he had taken 3 shots to the gut. could not have happened to a nicer guy.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
my buddy and i were at a traffic light in Santiago a few months ago, and two cops on a motorcycle told us to pull to the side of the road. he looked at everything in our pockets, and my buddy?s passport was expired. he told us that he would let it slide if we gave him 75,000 pesos, otherwise he would have him deported. we told him to take us to immigration, and we would see what happens. he came all the way down to 5000, and we told him to go crap in a hat.

i saw him last month walking near the store called Merkaven, holding a colostomy bag. hope i spelled that right. he had taken 3 shots to the gut. could not have happened to a nicer guy.

Damn, I wouldn't wish a colostomy on anyone, especially in DR.

You smoothly glossed over the fact that the cop was right about the expired passport, no cedula or residency I presume. This may be the start of the new DR that Pichardo warned us about. We foreigners may all be under a microscope soon.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

You smoothly glossed over the fact that the cop was right about the expired passport, no cedula or residency I presume. This may be the start of the new DR that Pichardo warned us about. We foreigners may all be under a microscope soon.

that did not give him the right to try to shake him down for 75 large. the title of the thread is police reform, and this is a perfect example of why it is important. he had no problem with the immigration issue, because he would have taken the matter to that entity. instead, he was using the matter as an opportunity to steal.

i don?t wish anything bad on anyone, buit karma is a b1tch sometimes.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
And exactly whynone of this reform will work. I immigration, PN, all the way, it will not untimately change because they rely on the workforce to pull it off and that is something a step too far for Domi ican Republic. They need to stop pretending they can join modern society when working with the mentality of a neanderthal.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
And exactly whynone of this reform will work. I immigration, PN, all the way, it will not untimately change because they rely on the workforce to pull it off and that is something a step too far for Domi ican Republic. They need to stop pretending they can join modern society when working with the mentality of a neanderthal.

which is exactly why i laugh uproariously when i read the rabid musings by PICHARDO regarding some upcoming initiatives to make the borders waterproof and airtight. never happen!! all controls have to be done , ultimately, by human beings. any amount of drones can spot the miscreants, but they cannot stop the border patrol guys from letting the Haitians in for a few platos del dia.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
which is exactly why i laugh uproariously when i read the rabid musings by PICHARDO regarding some upcoming initiatives to make the borders waterproof and airtight. never happen!! all controls have to be done , ultimately, by human beings. any amount of drones can spot the miscreants, but they cannot stop the border patrol guys from letting the Haitians in for a few platos del dia.

Because him, as well as the rest of the economic and political elites here, don't understand a basic reasoning that the late Jos? Francisco Pe?a Gomez (RIP) used to make: Democracy COSTS money, end of the story. It's stupidity to the last degree to expect a cop/soldier here to perform like a Swiss when he reaps the wages of a Sudanese.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Because him, as well as the rest of the economic and political elites here, don't understand a basic reasoning that the late Jos? Francisco Pe?a Gomez (RIP) used to make: Democracy COSTS money, end of the story. It's stupidity to the last degree to expect a cop/soldier here to perform like a Swiss when he reaps the wages of a Sudanese.

Snake, it just cannot happen. i am a single guy, with zero responsibilities to anyone but myself. i am a guy who is basically a loner, so i do not waste money on communal attractions, like boozing it up with bunches of guys. i live a very simple life. that being said, i find it extremely difficult to spend less than 60 large per month. i fail to understand how someone can expect that a police lieutenant, with a woman and maybe some kids, can live on 10 grand. the guy just has to make it up someway, and we know what that is.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The PN is based upon a military organization rather than a public entity and this is something that is written in the second post link written for acento.com. That writer also talks about better pay. He has valid points.

The head of the police did make a speech Monday which is interesting too.

We all know the police set up including AMET is not right and can tell many stories but the story here is that reform is planned.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com

NEVER, EVER,EVER going to happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you are starting to believe ANYTHING "P-MAN" POSTS, you are GETTING paranoid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have read that "Police Reform" bull$HIT story 50 times in the last 30 years!!!
Just ask "Mister AE" if he believes it!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Feb 7, 2007
Most of Latam police including big countries like Brazil and Colombia, (and even many in Europe - e.g. FR Gendarmarie, IT carabinieri, ES guardia civil) are based on military hierarchy with generals, coronels, majors, captains, lieutenants all the way down to the rank and file guys. So it's not just DR thing.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
NEVER, EVER,EVER going to happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you are starting to believe ANYTHING "P-MAN" POSTS, you are GETTING paranoid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have read that "Police Reform" bull$HIT story 50 times in the last 30 years!!!
Just ask "Mister AE" if he believes it!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I used to think Pichardo was blowing smoke, but several of his 'predictions' HAVE materialized. I do believe that there are people in DR government who really WANT these things to happen, but it will be a long and very bumpy road because the traditions are embedded.

Ask Mr. AE?? LOL, he complains more about Dominicans than most of the people here, you two would get along great. The only difference, IMO, is that it's okay for him to criticize his people, when foreigners do it then it may be considered offensive.

Kind of like I can criticize my kids, but God help someone else who does :)

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Most of Latam police including big countries like Brazil and Colombia, (and even many in Europe - e.g. FR Gendarmarie, IT carabinieri, ES guardia civil) are based on military hierarchy with generals, coronels, majors, captains, lieutenants all the way down to the rank and file guys. So it's not just DR thing.

The discussion is about transforming them into a force to protect civilians rather than have any responsibility to protect the state.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
I always thought Police reform in Latin America and the Caribbean just meant changing the name and uniforms and then carrying on like normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk