Regularization card "Non Resident" foreigners

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
Haitian migrant poses with his new credentials and those of his family, which allows them to live and work in the Dominican Republic for two years as ?non-resident?? foreigners, in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Monday, July 6, 2015. A group of 260 people were the first foreigners to receive the credentials. More than 288,000 foreigners, mostly Haitians, applied during the last year for a temporary resident permit, trying to avoid deportation. | EZEQUIEL ABIU LOPEZ AP

Haiti appeals for international help as OAS prepares to visit Hispaniola | Miami Herald Miami Herald

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
any more info on that card? what can be done with it? can you get a driver's license with it. The term " non resident" foreigner sounds a bit odd.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
any more info on that card? what can be done with it? can you get a driver's license with it. The term " non resident" foreigner sounds a bit odd.

The card is a temporary legal document, which allows the holder to get a temporary (read expires on same date Cedula) ID, driver license, bank account, etc... It provides the holder with a term of 2 years to carry out the residency process in order to become a temp resident first, then a permanent resident, then a citizen if so wished.

Non Resident means the holder has not carried out the full process to become a temporary resident like others do. Unlike others (illegals), they can continue to live and work in the DR. Pretty much like any other resident would, but in the condition that he/she carries out such documentation as provided.

Some groups received non-resident cards, others got temp resident cards and yet others got permanent residency cards with the option to opt for naturalization thereafter.
A certain group was provided full DR citizenship on the spot.

Let me clear about this: Not a single person born in the DR and who was provided or recorded as a "Live Birth" has been left stateless or otherwise. All have been accounted for. This goes from live births recorded from 1929 to PRESENT as of the day which ended the AMNESTY.

"Todos los archivos han sido depurados".

Farm workers are getting a Work Permit ID. This has nothing to do with the present Amnesty already carried out. This Permit for temporary workers will be transformed into a Visa program soon. Like I said here on DR1, there will be a new set of visa categories added when we end this process of the Amnesty.

Visas for Students, Farm workers, Professionals, artists, educational exchanges, over 30 days tourists, etc...

Feb 7, 2007
Can you please specify who got "temp resident cards and yet others got permanent residency cards ... a certain group was provided full DR citizenship on the spot"

Thank you

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Can you please specify who got "temp resident cards and yet others got permanent residency cards ... a certain group was provided full DR citizenship on the spot"

Thank you

All individuals who provided the required documentation to support their entry pre-cut off period to the DR, proof of employment, acceptable forms of identification, etc... Got this 2 year Non-Resident Card. That means that they provided the required documentation to obtain an immigrant visa once they file the required documentation at their most appropriate time.

The ones that got the temporary residency cards, were the ones that fulfilled in 100% the required documentation, including strong roots in the country. They still will undergo extensive Interpol/Police/criminal background checks before they can opt for permanent residency.

The ones that received permanent residency cards are those which were in special brackets of long term residents in the DR with assets, investments, etc... Including workers, parents, etc...

Those that got DR citizenship on the spot, are those born to In-transit foreigners in the DR but who have resided non-stop in the country and/or were recipients of live birth certificates/records from 1929 to present.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What is the financial cost to go from a "regularization" card to a permanent (yet renewable so not really permanent in the true sense) residency card? Is it the same price as anyone starting from a different country and must they have the same other requirements?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The card is a temporary legal document, which allows the holder to get a temporary (read expires on same date Cedula) ID, driver license, bank account, etc... It provides the holder with a term of 2 years to carry out the residency process in order to become a temp resident first, then a permanent resident, then a citizen if so wished.

Non Resident means the holder has not carried out the full process to become a temporary resident like others do. Unlike others (illegals), they can continue to live and work in the DR. Pretty much like any other resident would, but in the condition that he/she carries out such documentation as provided.

Some groups received non-resident cards, others got temp resident cards and yet others got permanent residency cards with the option to opt for naturalization thereafter.

Let me clear about this: Not a single person born in the DR and who was provided or recorded as a "Live Birth" has been left stateless or otherwise. All have been accounted for. This goes from live births recorded from 1929 to PRESENT as of the day which ended the AMNESTY.

Farm workers are getting a Work Permit ID. This has nothing to do with the present Amnesty already carried out. This Permit for temporary workers will be transformed into a Visa program soon. Like I said here on DR1, there will be a new set of visa categories added when we end this process of the Amnesty.

Visas for Students, Farm workers, Professionals, artists, educational exchanges, over 30 days tourists, etc...

Could you explain a little more about a cedula "which expires the same day"?

Feb 7, 2007
PICHARDO, If that is true, then I am a bit upset that "roots and investments" and "being long term" got them permanent residency, they got it for free while myself, with businesses, employing people, parent of DR child, and being long term as well (10+) I had to do my visa, pay the lawyer, residency, and keep paying the yearly residency renewal and cedula renewals along that, with $$$ and I am still on the yellow card, while they got the blue card for free.

Feb 7, 2007
Could you explain a little more about a cedula "which expires the same day"?

I think what he meant to say that the nonresident foreigner card is a form of immigration card, and all cedulas expire on dates when immigration cards expire (same as for temp/perm residency cards <-> cedulas).

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I think what he meant to say that the nonresident foreigner card is a form of immigration card, and all cedulas expire on dates when immigration cards expire (same as for temp/perm residency cards <-> cedulas).

Got to explain this stuff to her as she has never been through the process!!!! Shame on you Annie, as much as you kick against the process, and you have been here 10 years and not legal???
Ever hear the phrase "My House My Rules"

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
PICHARDO, If that is true, then I am a bit upset that "roots and investments" and "being long term" got them permanent residency, they got it for free while myself, with businesses, employing people, parent of DR child, and being long term as well (10+) I had to do my visa, pay the lawyer, residency, and keep paying the yearly residency renewal and cedula renewals along that, with $$$ and I am still on the yellow card, while they got the blue card for free.

I still have trouble believing they will get a "free" residency when many of us paid through the regular migration path. It does not make sense for migration to give up all this revenue. With no lab work,etc I feel there is more to this story yet to come.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
So my Haitian friend finally "completed" the process of Regularizacion at Puerto Plata. And what did he get for all his multiple trips to the office to line up in the middle of the night, thousands of pesos paid to lawyers, countless hours waiting to be seen? A piece of paper, with a form that I could have produced on my computer in five minutes, filled in by hand. I would scan it and reproduce it here, but I don't want any repercussions for him. It says:
Provincia: Puerto Plata
Revisado Por: (Illegible name)
Expediente No. (Barely legible number)
Tipo de Documento de Identidad Presentado: Pasaporte
Name: (Friend's name written)
Telefono: 82P-5?4-556P (The question mark is where the official wrote the number incorrectly and when my friend corrected her she wrote the correct number over the top of the incorrect one, making an illegible scribble. The Ps are what the official wrote instead of 9s)
Then follows ticked boxes showing that the applicant produced the required documents
At the bottom is scribbled (illegible word) 6/7/2015 and a word in a circle which might say "cumpleado"
No official stamp or anything like that.

When he asked what would happen next, my friend was told that the "people in Santo Domingo" would call him, but I will be very surprised if they do so, given the barely legible phone number. After starting the process about a year ago, I will be amazed if his status is ever "Regularized".

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010

Can we get a clear cut answer on the cedula part?
Does the non resident card makes the Holder eligible for a cedula?

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I applied for Residency in October of last year. Got a number and everything and still waiting. All paperwork was in last year and immigration said they don't need anything else from me. I have a lawyer checking the list but nothing. I know there is a new computer system and it has taken a while to input all the data, but I also thought the government has increased the staff to do this. All that is needed is to print out a card as they already have my pictures, prints and everything else... ??? I would like to get a drivers license and feel that my large investment and all the Dominican people I have hired in the country is appreciated. I have complained about this before, but I am so surprised its still not done yet.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012

+1 I mean $$$$$$, trips to Santo domingo, renewals, x-rays, medical, back and forth...and now some just go there and present some papers and get Permanent residency for free? I hope there is a misunderstanding here

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Got to explain this stuff to her as she has never been through the process!!!! Shame on you Annie, as much as you kick against the process, and you have been here 10 years and not legal???
Ever hear the phrase "My House My Rules"

well - just think of me as a foreign journalist that one might try to explain this to.

And it is not as if I have not tried to get legal papers.. There are two lawyers that are $1200 richer.

So really, it does not have anything to do with my personal migratory status.

But rather with Dominicans explaining the PLAN

in an intelligible mannar. To outsiders

Not that they even have to do that.

because, as you said

My house my rules

so if they want to give them a cedula on tuesday that expired on weds - they can do that

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I was going to apply through the Plan de Regularization - since I figured that I had all the requirements - bank accounts, leases, etc. But when I called them, they said that the only two things that I needed, along with my passport, was the signatures of 7 of my neighbors, and a paper from a church or sporting club. I could get the seven neighbors, but said that I did not have the church group .. and she said "what, you do not go to church?"

Then I went to Guzman - who said that they would not recommend going into the PLAN since it had not yet been announced what sort of document would result from it. She said that as far as she understood, all it was going to do was allow a deferred legal status for two years- not subject to deportation and no overstay fees - but after that, the person was going to have to apply for residency in the usual manner -- EXCEPT she said - that those in the PLAN would not have to go back to their home countries to start the process of filing - and they would also not need a criminal background check from their home countries.

So, based on that, I went ahead to start my process again from here. Went to Florida to get my finger prints taken, sent them to the FBI, waiting for them to be returned, then have to send them to the State Department to be appostilled.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
So here is what happened with me I got her on the 15 of last mounth and as stated by meny I got in line early on the 16.
I got one of the last 300 wrist bands to get an appointment. All went well thy took the paperwork that I had and told me what els I needed, took my
finger prints, photo and off I went. Took me a 10 working days to get all the paperwork bank letter business references rent contract on paper with
red lines on it the good conduct letter the 7 ceguler and all legalised. Then I go to turn them in but no I had to come back again and wate in line and get a paper for anouther appointment the following week. So back I go but this time all the was very easy for me thy looked through all my
paperwork took what thy needed and said that if there wanted anything else Santo Domingo would call me. The paper I have looks far more
Better then what some people have said about what thy got from other offices but it still said I am incomplete. I asked about this and was told that I would have no problem if anyone asked me anything show them the paper I had and dont we try about it. Do I think I well here from them no I
Don't do I think things will be the same for me with the exits tax yes I do. But I know that I have tryed and done the best I can it is in the hands of
god now. There were stacks and stacks of folders in the office and this was just Santiago I am picturing an office in the capital overflowing with all this stuff how csn anything come of all this mess I well never know. Opportunity and no one said anything about all the stamps for coming in and
out I had bank letter and other paperwork saying that I have been here since 2009 and thy were happy with that. Any way it was something to do
and as I am getting a little border as of late.