Here's an upbeat cheery article

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
My opinions are not far from the article so thanks for posting.

But I avoid certain places and try and find a life away from expats and with Dominicans. And resort areas are far from ideal to live so......but I do like the fringes of Las Terrenas.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
While I don't disagree with the tone of the article I can say it has been my experience that many Dominicans are bit with the keeping up with the Jones syndrome; jealousy of another's good fortune is very evident. A common theme will be that someone is successful because they are lucky, not because they worked their ass off and made wide decisions. Of course, it is not just Dominicans that think that way.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
My point in posting it was that I do so agree with the many, many unexpected and totally sincere kindnesses I have received from so many Dominicans.

I lived here the first time 30 years ago and it was a totally different society then. When I came back 3 years ago, I was astonished by the changes, not only in Sosua (which broke my heart) but in the country in general. By and large, it doesn't feel as if most of the changes were for the better. Yes, it's a good thing that most places have electricity, however hit or miss, bc in the 1980s, there were huge swaths of the country without it. I think health care has improved, and whether tourism is good or bad, it has certainly brought significantly more capital into the country.

It's a developing country, not exactly Third World, but sort of 2.5. The technology explosion has opened the world and many people are being exposed to things they never knew they even wanted because they didn't even know about them. It will be a long time and a seismic cultural shift for Latin America to deal with the world the way the First World does, and maybe it doesn't need to.

I just keep coming back to how kind so many Dominicans are, to each other and to complete strangers.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
DOMINICAN PEOPLE KNOW HAPPINESS ON THE SCENE | Dominican Republic

We don't get much like this. I post in full knowledge that the gimlet-eyed among us (you know who you are!) will swiftly and vociferously jack the thread.

I tried. (sigh). Much love, Pollyanna

The author of this article is very fortunate to have this experience in the DR. Yes, most of us are spoiled as hell in North America. It comes down to what you are used to in your daily life. It is very difficult to give up technology once you have programmed yourself to rely upon it. Many in the DR, especially outside of the larger city areas, do not have the means for anything more than a simple, uncomplicated life. Being tied to possesions can be a blessing and a curse. I for one am too old to give up my "gringo" ways.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
She must live with Bob!!!!!!
The dream DR where EVERYTHING is "Happy-Happy-Happy" all the time!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I agree that Dominicans smile more than for example europeans, but I don't know if that's genuine happiness.

I don't find that Dominicans are or have truer friends than Europeans.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
She must live with Bob!!!!!!
The dream DR where EVERYTHING is "Happy-Happy-Happy" all the time!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Now THERE is the grouchy CC that I know. What did you do with the other guy who's been using your computer?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i have no idea what is considered to be happiness, because nobody has defined it to my satisfaction. whenever people from North America and Europe go to third world countries, most of which are mired in poverty and deprivation, they all have the same response....oh, they have so little, yet they smile so much. so, you look at the most recent tabulations of international mirth and glee, and all the top countries are Latin American countries, which are marked by poverty, suffering, and inequality. but the people smile, just like most of the Haitians i say hello to in my daily rounds.

for some of you Euromericans out there, ponder this more carefully. it is culture you are looking at, whch has nothing to do with happiness. if i walk on the malecon, and i come across a Euro or North American, the chances of him saying good morning is 5 percent. every Dominican will say buen dia. it is custom. the same happens when they get on public transport. buenas tardes a todos. foreigners just sit still with no acknowledgement of others. no smile, no nothing.

that does not mean that the guy who says hello is happier. i can?t see how a guy who does not know where the next meal is coming from, and who just had his electricity supended is happy just because he smiles and says how do you do.

authoryourdreams

Dec 15, 2009
www.PublishingSOLO.com
Reading the replies to this post, it does seem that the original poster's prediction did come true! But thank you for posting it. I appreciate people who are practicing the art of seeing the good in everything, no matter. what...Thank you for sharing, the article is heartwarming!

In answer to the happiness question:

Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder ...
So is happiness found in the heart of the joyous!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Reading the replies to this post, it does seem that the original poster's prediction did come true! But thank you for posting it. I appreciate people who are practicing the art of seeing the good in everything, no matter. what...Thank you for sharing, the article is heartwarming!

In answer to the happiness question:

Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder ...
So is happiness found in the heart of the joyous!

here is the rub, dreams. there is no philosophical content to what the OP posted. he or she simply asserted that the people were happy. i simply wanted to know how they can assume that to be the case, because the folks are outwardly cheerful, by Euromerican standards.

I am constantly surprised by the help I get from Doms (especially poor) in situations that in NA would never happen.
I agree with the article to an extent but also don't know how genuinely happy they are. Lots of miserable looking people in my barrio and lots wanting material things and spending money they shouldn't on that stuff when their kids have holy clothes and falling apart shoes.

I did like reading the article, thanks for sharing.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Thanks for a positive article. The list of the 50 most violent cities came out a few weeks ago. If I recall there where 6 or 7 US cities, no Canadian, Australia, British or Dominican cities.
Just about every place in Mexico with a population over 100 people made the list.
As I have said many times on this forum, if you really hate this place please feel free to grace another island with your wonderful presence.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
How "HAPPY" are those poor Dominican parents watching their child die from leukemia, because they can't get treatment here?????
Or an education, or clean water, or electricity, or police or fire protection,or an honest, non corrupt government,OR<OR<OR!!!!!??????

"Stoic" is NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Complaining is NOT HATING!!!!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
How "HAPPY" are those poor Dominican parents watching their child die from leukemia, because they can't get treatment here?????
Or an education, or clean water, or electricity, or police or fire protection,or an honest, non corrupt government,OR<OR<OR!!!!!??????

"Stoic" is NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Complaining is NOT HATING!!!!!!

when someone gives you the answer to your question, do not be reluctant to share. i myself find it quite absurd for people who have all the possible creature comforts of life to look at people who can barely afford the next meal, and to say how happy they are. oh..i forgot. they smile a lot, so they must be ecstatic.

the OP might next start a thread asking which supermarket in the region sells the best pate de foie gras and caviar.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Often people who have nothing, grasp as small joys and run with them....this tends to be a fleeting thing. I learned a long time ago, people who are poor "appear" happy but this is rarely the truth....smiles quite often mask misery and dispair.