The Dominican long pants cultue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carabum

May 7, 2015
What strikes me as odd is that although the Dominican-Republic is in an Island in the tropics with very hot and humid weaher, yet all the Dominicans wear long pants and even heavy jeans.

I`m wearing short shorts and I?m still sweating from between my balls, I can only imagine what that Dominican fella with the long jeans is going through.

Yet they look at the foreigners wearing shorts like they are the weird ones, and know right away short wearers are not Dominican.
This is so typically Dominican that if you wanted to figure out if someone is Dominican or not just look at what they wear. if they wear shorts then they are surely foreigners.

Don`t the Dominicans know they live in a tropical humid country ?
Shouldn`t the present culture have developed in accordance with it`s geography and weather of the Island and not that of Canada ?

I live in Santo-Domingo, maybe it`s different in other parts of the island, but I doubt it`s much different.

Does anyone have any idea since when and why this ``long pants culture?? developed ?
it`s got to be something that happened historicaly, cause it sure isn`t natural.

On the NC I find it much more acceptable to wear shorts and I see many more Doms wearing shorts here. I never wear pants unless I go to a funeral or a very fancy place my wife or friends are performing at.
I rarely wore pants in Vancouver so don't see why I would be wearing pants here but I also live on the beach.

Someone mentioned the long pants for protection from mosquitoes and protection from the sun etc??

The looks I get are sure something in The Capital and Santiago, I quite like it :D

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Mix of things. Dominicans hate direct sun on their skin. Dominicans believe in strange social class, if you have long trousers then wear them, makes you appear more wealthy. Trousers makes a man look more attractive. And everyone they look up to living in the USA, wears long trousers on the videos. Also in the city, long trousers keeps you clean. Besides that Dominicans are sheep, they follow each other ignorantly in circles, and so cycles remain unbroken, fashion remains the same and Dominican men are still dressing how most of would never consider on halloween. Obviously on the beaches it is more the norm, but the city? no!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I wear long pants, but not jeans, but then again I 'm in a work environment, not a beach environment. I wear light cotton pants most of the time as 1. I fit into my environment, and 2. I don't like getting bit by bugs. I see lots of Dominicans in shorts, mainly woman and girls, but lots of guys wear basketball shorts. As far as natural, you are the visitor- correct.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
What strikes me as odd is that although the Dominican-Republic is in an Island in the tropics with very hot and humid weaher, yet all the Dominicans wear long pants and even heavy jeans.

I`m wearing short shorts and I?m still sweating from between my balls, I can only imagine what that Dominican fella with the long jeans is going through.

Yet they look at the foreigners wearing shorts like they are the weird ones, and know right away short wearers are not Dominican.
This is so typically Dominican that if you wanted to figure out if someone is Dominican or not just look at what they wear. if they wear shorts then they are surely foreigners.

Don`t the Dominicans know they live in a tropical humid country ?
Shouldn`t the present culture have developed in accordance with it`s geography and weather of the Island and not that of Canada ?

I live in Santo-Domingo, maybe it`s different in other parts of the island, but I doubt it`s much different.

Does anyone have any idea since when and why this ``long pants culture?? developed ?
it`s got to be something that happened historicaly, cause it sure isn`t natural.

In many hot countries, you will find that the majority of men wear long pants (DR, Africa, Middle East, you name it). The fact that you are more comfortable in short and less hot doesn't mean that others are. Personally, I don't see the difference, I wear jeans when it is hot, again I don't have sweaty balls :)

It s like many hot countries drink hot tea, although it is counter-intuitive.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I know my ex used to complain about the sun really stinging her skin. So there is something to be said for our differences in melanin. We don't all feel the same in the same climates.

Working all over the world in very hot countries it is normal for people to keep covered up. We are the freaks wandering around with our tops off until 9pm. But still no excuse for the Dominican fashion sins.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
doms are used to it. but i make my personal goal to look as much as a tourist as possible. last week we went to santiago, i needed to see my gynecologist. miesposo saw i was wearing shorts and ask me, rather unhappily: are you going out like that? i said: for the love of god, the man has seen my nekkid punnaney, surely, he would not mind fcuking shorts?!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Long pants offer better protection for mosquitoes, mayes and other bugs. Plus, most of the pants and jeans sold here are of a light fabric. You get used to them, and they don't bother you.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Africaida you don't see the difference??!?!? OMG 20 degrees!!!

I promise I don't feel uncomfortable in jeans even if it hot. Of course, I prefer dresses during the summer (but see Maxi or Mini feels the same to me).

But, HUG is up to something, may be people with Melanin instinctively hide from the sun,lol. My son got sun-burnt badly last summer in DR playing in the pool within in the couple of days(I was worried about Chikun and forgot about sunscreen :( ) My son is is the darkest one.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I still bring 2 pairs of jeans and at least 2 pairs of slacks every trip.. from my very first time in the DR, Santo Domino.. I was told by the people who introduced me to the country.. " we do not go out at night in shorts, period".. and I understood it immediately..
Only since coming to sosua am i in shorts all day cuz everyone else is doing it too, and its a beach town..
But In Santiago, or Santo Domingo, NO WAY would i wear shorts like at Dinner.. or to a Movie ? oh Helll noooo..

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Things you Shouldn't Wear Abroad

See shorts
"Shorts
Yes, we Americans do love our shorts, but most other cultures don't wear them for everyday walking around, no matter the season or how close they are to the Equator. Leave the khaki shorts for beaches, parks, tennis clubs and hiking trails. Our habit of dressing down to be comfortable is puzzling to most people overseas. Rarely will you see locals wearing shorts unless they're off to play soccer."

10 Things You Should Never Wear When Traveling Abroad | IndependentTraveler.com

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I remember not understanding the long pants thing in Jamaica back in the late 70's. Black pants and suit jackets with a tie. It freaked me out.

I once was refused entry into a middle of the road restaurant in Tobago because I was wearing shorts.

Now I barely notice if someone is not wearing shorts in the Caribbean, it is so common place. I wear shorts when I can but Pants when out at night....outside of Sosua.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It has changed a lot over the past 15 years. When I first came here nobody would wear shorts if it wasn't on the beach. Now many people wear shorts in their free time when they quickly go to the supermarket, count the dominicans in shorts in Agora on a saturday: many.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
What I don't get is why so many people think they have to wear pants just to fit in here. If you prefer them then great but if you are uncomfortable and hot why would care what others think?
It really baffles me.

May be they don't want to be the center of attention because of a fashion faux-pas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.