Renewing my Cedula

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I renewed my Cedula last week, having just renewed my Rentista Residency. Just a few points which may help someone.

Foreigners in Santo Domingo now have to renew in the main JCE building on the roundabout, not the little building on Luperon that we used to go to. There is a cramped little office and it's very uncomfortable.

The waiting time for me was 3 hours, I got there at 10.30am. I had to pay RD$ 3000 for a two-year renewal. There is only a BanReservas cash machine, so good to take the cash with you.

The staff said it was always incredibly busy, and that the office didn't have enough space for people waiting. Almost all the time I was there the waiting room was completely full, and people were having to stand. The main reason is that there is only one person taking photos, one producing the forms and one producing the cedulas. And all three did 2 minutes work, 10 minutes gossip, 3 minutes Facebook, 2 minutes Whatsapp then 2 minutes work.

Take a long book....

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
If they concentrated on the postal service in DR they could rid themselves of so much backlog, issues dealing with fockwitts, drama and make peoples live so much easier. But surely working toward being able to renew id or licenses or infact anything at all via post is not an option because they put zero into it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wait, you paid for a cedula? i thought they were still issuing the new ones for free?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I already had the new one, but when they gave it to me it expired the same date as my Residency, which was this month. I think that all the foreigners were paying RD$ 3000 for cedulas. The money was all accounted for properly, the girl was issuing a receipt and this was the first stage in the process. I saw a lot of people paying RD$ 3000 in any case, and they all seemed to be foreign. Except some Haitians, they didn't seem to be paying either.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I already had the new one, but when they gave it to me it expired the same date as my Residency, which was this month. I think that all the foreigners were paying RD$ 3000 for cedulas.

ah, ok, so a regular renovation. gotcha.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bad timing/luck.... had to have the biometric by x date....

Residency expires at x+1 date...........

tough luck....

Feb 7, 2007
When I went back in May it was still on Luperon, easy and quick process all in and out within 30 minutes, and the waiting room had sofas and air conditioning. This is certainly a step back. I aleady dread the renewal. ..

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Still Luperon first floor

Went yesterday to get a new one with a friend, still same office in Luperon, did not cost anything and took about 30 minutes.

When I went back in May it was still on Luperon, easy and quick process all in and out within 30 minutes, and the waiting room had sofas and air conditioning. This is certainly a step back. I aleady dread the renewal. ..

Jan 17, 2009
wait, you paid for a cedula? i thought they were still issuing the new ones for free?

That's correct. The new one is free, even if it is about to expire. In fact, I got mine free last year and it was about to expire since my residency is only for one year for now.