Why do gringos wear long pants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonrisa

Dec 23, 2008
The "Long Pants Culture" thread was closed a little too early. So I begin another, albeit slightly different thread . . . "Why do gringos wear long pants?" I visit the North Coast three to four times a year as well as other parts of the country from Santiago to La Capital to La Romana to Punta Cana. The infamous "ankle mosquitoes" of the DR truly challenge the sanest of psyches. I like to wear shorts, but mosquitoes gather for mass and in mass upon my ankles whether I am wearing insect repellent or not. The sweet scent of fresh gringo ankles calls them to worship at my feet with a special focus upon my ankles. When I am at poolside, my legs are in the water up to my knees. The rest of me is evidently not near as sweet as my ankles. Those DR mosquitoes have a weird fetish.

A faithful warrior against these "Ankle Mosquitoes" for now some five plus years, I surrendered and now wear thick, non-Rodney-Dangerfield-see-through socks and long pants. Yes, I know I could wear socks with my shorts, but my chicken legs look even more ridiculous when I do. Though the mosquitoes are upset with my actions, the native population appears to accept me better. I fit in at the lunch counter and some waitresses actually perform their duties with politeness and appreciation. My light-weight beige pants are quite cool, fit in with the culture and, as mentioned before, there is a noticeable positive reaction from the general population. Except for my gringo friends who are denied the opportunity to make fun of my skinny legs, my legs and everyone else appreciate my fashion statement.

Though Dominicans may or may not wear long pants for many other reasons, the more important and personal question for me is why would a gringo wear long pants . . . and socks. Turns out for a very good reason . . . the joy of denying the Dominican ankle mosquitoes another lunch on me along with some remaining ability to retain what little sanity I yet possess.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Absolutely, the little bitches ( the guys don't bite) hide and do a stealth attack that you don't feel until later.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
wow i got chic ken legs also ....but i dont wear shorts beeecause i ride a motorbike......biingo....warmer climates are full of flying insects and on a bike up your leg...and they dont have a reverse,or turn around . ,,, sting you and die...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You know sonrisa, a smart person would see that a thread had been closed and if they had something important to add they would PM the mod who closed the thread to ask that it be reopened or their comment added.

You did neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.