Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Diesel or Gasoline

Hi,
    i am about to buy a new car and have difficulties to decide if either a Diesel or a Gasoline engine.
    A Diesel i would prefer because it is more economic ...but i got told that the Diesel here
    is of bad quality and i might get problems with electronic injection of Diesel...
    Does anybody has experience in this area and would share it with me please.

2. Likes HIRAM liked this post
    Dislikes HIRAM disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Propane

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Dislikes Criss Colon disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The car body and suspension will not last as long as the engine. Not worth the extra money for diesel engine. Roads and accidents will eat up the car. Diesels reqire very clean fuel. Not much of anything is clean here. I like gasoline/propane conversion. For over the road propane is economic. Around town not so much. Once you are up to speed and switch over to propane the savings begin.

6. Likes IslandDreaming, jd426, TP666 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

to really benefit from propane savings, you need to have high annual mileage.

something island traffic rarely offers.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    to really benefit from propane savings, you need to have high annual mileage.

something island traffic rarely offers.
    thank you!! if you are just farting around town, or taking the odd 100 mile trip a few times a year, forget propane. you will get zero savings. besides, more and more people are now refusing to buy cars that have been run on propane.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default diesel

Quote Originally Posted by santa110xyz View Post
    Hi,
    i am about to buy a new car and have difficulties to decide if either a Diesel or a Gasoline engine.
    A Diesel i would prefer because it is more economic ...but i got told that the Diesel here
    is of bad quality and i might get problems with electronic injection of Diesel...
    Does anybody has experience in this area and would share it with me please.
    Right now, there's ultra low sulphur diesel readily available all over the country; so right now there are three kinds of diesel for sale: normal, premium and UltraLowSulphur.

10. Likes santa110xyz, MikeFisher liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    thank you!! if you are just farting around town, or taking the odd 100 mile trip a few times a year, forget propane. you will get zero savings. besides, more and more people are now refusing to buy cars that have been run on propane.
    plus the cost of the conversion

most people (especially islanders) will not put on enough miles to benefit all these tricks.

In RD, in SD, 22mpg and 30 mpg are meaningless..... and are virtually identical in day to day activity.

In USA/Canada, my drive is 9hrs.... 6 hrs on a tank

My Hemi (385HP) throttles back to 4 cylinders at hiway cruising and I get great mileage.
    Same as many econo cars.

Big miles at speed is where you save

A stop light is a stop light..........the great equalizer

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The difference in economy is not even that big using diesel instead of gasoline. If I'd travel daily to Bavaro or the north I'd buy a diesel but since my driving is 95% in the city, I'm fine with gasoline. Even driving about 250 miles a week.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The daily driving distance is about 80 miles a day; Cabarete -> past Puerto Plata
    And once a week from POP to Stgo.
    I was interested to get a used Volkwagen Tiguran TSI, 5 years old

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by santa110xyz View Post
    The daily driving distance is about 80 miles a day; Cabarete -> past Puerto Plata
    And once a week from POP to Stgo.
    I was interested to get a used Volkwagen Tiguran TSI, 5 years old
    unless you are dead set on that car, and the price is wonderful, i would reconsider that idea.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast