Dress in black

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
I have noticed a few locals living in my street dressed totally in black for the last couple of days. Is there a cultural tradition that requires this attire?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have noticed a few locals living in my street dressed totally in black for the last couple of days. Is there a cultural tradition that requires this attire?

Did someone in the family die? Dominicans have many traditions like Italians so they might be in mourning

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When a family member dies they wear black or grey for 6 or 9 months, not sure of the time. Not everyone does this, but it is a tradition.

In Italy some women wear black for the rest of their life if their husband dies.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Is this a stealth way to resurrect the "long pants" thread? My spider sense is tingling.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

Is there an ISIS flag in the skyline anywhere?

I've seen old women dressed in black in DR, as pretty much daily attire, but I've always had them down as maybe Dominican/Italian/other who've kept part of thier customs from overseas.
Certainly not seen enough women dressed in black to believe this is popular custom among Dominicans. Probably is 'something' in it, everywhere associates black with death, funerals etc. but doesn't look to be a significant custom, maybe one of yesteryear, like so much in DR, lost to new generations.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in my experience black is not mourning colour in DR. some people may wear it but many will use white or grey. this is both for funerals and the masses later on.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
in my experience black is not mourning colour in DR. some people may wear it but many will use white or grey. this is both for funerals and the masses later on.

For the funeral and house visiting they wear white. But after that is over it becomes grey or black.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
maybe. personally i have never seen it.

My friend's Dominican wife bought a whole new wardrobe of grey and black after her Mom died.

Need to add this though. Her Dad found a new women after 8 months and the daughters no longer talk to him. Supposed to wait at least 3 years.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the only person i know who is in permanent mourning is a woman who lost her 19 year old son to heart attack. that was maybe 15 years ago. she wears white, grey and black but i would never be able to say she's in mourning at all if i weren't told.

in a barrio where i used to live/work no one bothered with black. people were too poor to buy new clothing just because someone died.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
White is the color for mourning but you can also wear black. For going to the funerar?a, purple is also accepted.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My friend's Dominican wife bought a whole new wardrobe of grey and black after her Mom died.

Need to add this though. Her Dad found a new women after 8 months and the daughters no longer talk to him. Supposed to wait at least 3 years.

Don't worry, when he dies they will line up to forgive him, with their hands out!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Some dominicanos who are "De Luta",..."In Morning", wear all black, some just pin a black ribbon to their sleeve.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Don't worry, when he dies they will line up to forgive him, with their hands out!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Some dominicanos who are "De Luta",..."In Morning", wear all black, some just pin a black ribbon to their sleeve.

Won't happen, he is empty in the finance dept. The daughters have all the cash. They married smart. GRINGOS with a lot of cash.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When my sister-in-law's father died, she went out and bought all grey clothing, she'd wear a white blouse sometimes and sometimes black slacks. She wore that for a couple of years, not a drop of color in her wardrobe.

Mr. AE's aunt wore nothing but white after her husband died, for decades I never saw her in anything else.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Black is....

[video=youtube;aGeFf_rIAVQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGeFf_rIAVQ[/video]

Grey?

Is not black. We are talking about black and white. Grey is NOT the color of those who have left this life.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I usually am the only person who wears black to funerals here, never heard of them wearing black for this or after the funeral but it's not like I am some DR funeral expert!

People make fun of me here bc I have so many black clothes.

You're canadian... they all wear black... golf course, bar...u name it = black. boring black

Our local lady wears her political purple... every day, every outfit, no exceptions

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
[video=youtube;unnZfxvwSHw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unnZfxvwSHw[/video]