Mani

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
How do the Haitians cook the mani nuts? I brought back some raw ones. Any suggestions?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Our Haitian caretaker's wife sells them on the beach, she roasts them over a charcoal fire in a big pan. I'm not sure what she adds besides salt though.

windeguy, our colmado has huge bags, like the ones beans come in, and you buy the raw nuts by the pound. I've bought them for baking, and I've thought about trying to make peanut butter with them.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Winde - where have you lived - Janets has unprocessed Mani on the iasle with the beans. OMG you have been here so long you cant see things anymore !!

Just Olly
PS the rum was good tonoght ! Wil be watching Alison aat THe Leaf on Monday !

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Winde - where have you lived - Janets has unprocessed Mani on the iasle with the beans. OMG you have been here so long you cant see things anymore !!

Just Olly
PS the rum was good tonoght ! Wil be watching Alison aat THe Leaf on Monday !

The mani sort of look like beans because of the red skin on them.

Thanks for all the tips.

Those two singing about the goober peas, are they both Haitians?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
do u like the way haitians cook nuts???or have u eaten them before... nuts u can have em boiled, baked, roasted ..or squashed... pnut butter

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
do u like the way haitians cook nuts???or have u eaten them before... nuts u can have em boiled, baked, roasted ..or squashed... pnut butter

One day I was in Las Galeras, and a Haitian guy had some, and they were still warm. They were really good, but maybe I was just hungry and in need of something salty after a hot day. He probably just roasted them with some salt. I was just wondering if there was a perfect amount of time, like hard boiling an egg, or cooking spaghetti.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006

I never answered your question, they appeared to be roasted, or cooked in a hot pan as someone else suggested.