Moving mucho stuff from CT storage space to North Coast

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Contents of two (2!) houses in US, one in Maine, one in CT, in storage. Long story, not interesting, messy divorce. I have till Oct. 1 to empty the storage units. On the advice of a Dominican friend (an international one who born & educated in Santiago,has lived in US, Amsterdam, England), I'm just having the Dominican company from the Bronx come and cart it all up and send it on down. My friend says that even the schtoopidest American things will sell for 3x as much here as in the US. And what do I care? There is an allotment in the settlement that covers my shipping costs. (NOTE: I am not some gold-digging shikseh. This is a negotiated court settlement for 26 years of a bad marriage.)

But the issue is finding an apartment (and I think an apartment, not a house) that is unfurnished. I know this crosses forum lines, but if anybody has any insights into unfurnished real estate, your input would be greatly appreciated. It could include a beer and a blow job. (That's a joke. The beer part. :bandit: jajajajajaja)

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i could put myself into service or press myself into it... first get your residency....no tax on goods...one car etc might take a 90 days etc...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You know the residency rules right Meems?

Car at discounted rate and a load of furniture..... in the first 6 months only

Still, your Bronx shipment is the fastest and easiest way to fly.
It will arrive at your door for the price quoted.

Let me know if you need any contacts..... I'm a regular customer
(weed whacker in transit as we type)

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
With a good lawyer you could probably have residency by September. Count it among your shipping fees, as the taxes could be crazy-high anyway. Especially on a car (40%+ on the perceived value).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The shipping costs will pale in comparison to the customs tax. Even if you do it within the 6 months of residency they limit the number of duplicate items you can bring in discounted.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Exactly why I recommend getting residency first. On a tourist visa the costs to receive the goods will go through the roof.

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
My residencia is in process. If I have to pay taxes/fees, so be it. The former husband is supposed to be covering those costs as per the settlement agreement. The company I have used in the past is Family Cargo Express. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be happy to know them.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
If you're looking for a rental apartment, most that are NOT located in a tourist area will be unfurnished. Of the many apartments for rent in Cabarete, for example, I only know of one that is offered unfurnished (it's a really nice apartment, btw). In Santiago and Santo Domingo, etc. you'd do much better with unfurnished, almost all new construction is delivered empty.

As a side note, in the DR, unfurnished usually means no appliances as well (fridge, stove, washing machine, etc.).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The shipping costs will pale in comparison to the customs tax. Even if you do it within the 6 months of residency they limit the number of duplicate items you can bring in discounted.

AE, the mudanza will look after everything... the quoted cost will include the taxes.
Just the way your stuff arrives - and mine
Fridges, 2 BBq's anything I want
Remember my 2 boxes ?
4' x 4' x 8'.... 2 of them full of furniture at my door as quoted..... waaaay after my residencia container and car

Get a quote Meems.. before to quell any fears

Suggestion ? Awilda Shipping in Corona NY

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE, the mudanza will look after everything... the quoted cost will include the taxes.
Just the way your stuff arrives - and mine
Fridges, 2 BBq's anything I want
Remember my 2 boxes ?
4' x 4' x 8'.... 2 of them full of furniture at my door as quoted..... waaaay after my residencia container and car

Get a quote Meems.. before to quell any fears

Suggestion ? Awilda Shipping in Corona NY

I agree but she's talking about two houses full, sound like container loads!

mainegal

May 22, 2012
Meems where in Maine? I'm in Bar Harbor, I lived in DR for 2 years in Guayacanes from 97-99 and when winter here rolls around man do I miss being right across the street from the beach!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
AE,
the mudanza will tell her...

My total was 8ft x 8ft x16ft.......... a big 1 or 2 bed apt... or about a 20ft container, just shy....
and i had no trouble

I doubt she has a problem