Dominican Olympic Trials (Swimming)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I understand Dominican Olympic Swimming Trials do not happen, that the times you have set in the year is what is valid, regardless where the time is set. I will double check and let you know.
There is a Dominican Open in the first week of December. That is the last recognized event of the year.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I understand Dominican Olympic Swimming Trials do not happen, that the times you have set in the year is what is valid, regardless where the time is set. I will double check and let you know.
There is a Dominican Open in the first week of December. That is the last recognized event of the year.

Thanks so much! I was also wondering whether they accept qualifying times swam at meets held outside of the Dominican Republic.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Take note the DR was represented in the London 2012 Olympics by two swimmers that live and train in the United States:
Nicholas Schwab Alfaro in the 200 freestyle and Dorian McMenemy in the 100 butterfly.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Take note the DR was represented in the London 2012 Olympics by two swimmers that live and train in the United States:
Nicholas Schwab Alfaro in the 200 freestyle and Dorian McMenemy in the 100 butterfly.

Thanks again. I knew at least that Alfaro lived and trained in Indiana, but I wasn't sure if he had to make his Olympic cuts in the DR or at some pan-Caribbean meet.

Making a B-cut in the 50 free would be the objective here, which of course is somewhat of a long shot (in part due to age reasons). However, a B-cut qualification is only possible if no other Dominicans make an A-cut in that event. It's hard to determine who's still out there for sprint freestyle. Jacinto Ayala set the Dominican national record in 2009, but it doesn't say if he's still active.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
What I found out is that you would have to make the A-cut for the Dominican Olympic Committee to send you to the event. For instance, no Dominican swimmer was funded to go to the Pan Am Games in Toronto.
The meet to make the time in would be the FINA-endorsed Naco International Competition that is held on the Thanksgiving weekend at the Olympic Pool in Santo Domingo. It is a qualifying competition for the Olympic Games. If you are still interested, will get you a contact at the Dominican Swimming Federation that you can write to.
I was told it is unlikely that the Dominican Open will be held in December, but it also is a qualifying event.
The event to be held in November is the XXXIII Torneo Invitacional Internacional de los Delfines del Club Naco. Here is the link with information on that tournament that will be held 26-29 November 2015. The information specifies that times are valid for entry into the Rio Games.

http://www.cccan.info/cccan/UserFil...ional NACO 2015 (Clasificatorio Rio 2016).pdf

Last edited:

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
What I found out is that you would have to make the A-cut for the Dominican Olympic Committee to send you to the event. For instance, no Dominican swimmer was funded to go to the Pan Am Games in Toronto.
The meet to make the time in would be the FINA-endorsed Naco International Competition that is held on the Thanksgiving weekend at the Olympic Pool in Santo Domingo. It is a qualifying competition for the Olympic Games. If you are still interested, will get you a contact at the Dominican Swimming Federation that you can write to.
I was told it is unlikely that the Dominican Open will be held in December, but it also is a qualifying event.
The event to be held in November is the XXXIII Torneo Invitacional Internacional de los Delfines del Club Naco. Here is the link with information on that tournament that will be held 26-29 November 2015. The information specifies that times are valid for entry into the Rio Games.

http://www.cccan.info/cccan/UserFil...ional NACO 2015 (Clasificatorio Rio 2016).pdf

Thanks so much for inquiring! With regard to your comment about needing an A-cut, as far as I can determine, a competitor from any country can qualify with a B-cut as long as he/she is the best swimmer for that event. I wouldn't be that worried about getting travel expenses paid for by the committee. I'd be willing to pay for it myself.

Nicolas Schwab Alfaro swam 1:53.41 in the London 2012 games (200 free). That is nowhere near the A-cut of 1:47.82, so he must have qualified with a B-cut.

Did you mean that the Naco International Competition held on the Thanksgiving weekend is the ONLY meet to qualify? It seems like quite an early deadline. The US swimmers don't have their trials until July 2016.

I would really appreciate it if you could provide the contact information of that person at the Dominican Swimming Federation. Thanks!

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Write to Dr. Francisco de la Rosa (Fafi). His email is fdlrm@hotmail.com and his telephone numbers are 829 903-9771 and 829 880-9771

He is the technical director of the National District Swimming Association.

See my comments above. The reason why I say you would probably have to do A-times to make the team is because my contact explained that while B-cut times were enough for the London 2012 Olympics, they are no longer enough to make the team, and that was the reason why no Dominican swimmers are participating in the swimming events in the Pan Am Games.

It is not about you paying for your trip. If the Olympic Committee decides that they will not send B times, then no one will go. If you make the A-cut, then your chances are good. You should plan on coming in November to do the times here. Or check and see if the December planned DR Open will happen. My contact seemed to think it would be cancelled, and it would be best that you came for the November competition.

You could ask De la Rosa if there will be another FINA-sanctioned event in 2016 in time for qualifying for Rio.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
An Aruba swimmer, Mikel Schreuders, who trains in the US with the University of Missouri, made the Rio 2016 Olympics qualifying time at the Naco meet in Santo Domingo.

The article explains that while Schreuders had made the qualifying time shortly before at the Tennessee Invitational, it was not valid because that event was not an International Swimming Federation-sanctioned meet, such as was the Naco Invitational.

Read his story here:

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/12/9/aruban-swimmer-mikel-schreuders-qualifies-2016-oly/

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
An Aruba swimmer, Mikel Schreuders, who trains in the US with the University of Missouri, made the Rio 2016 Olympics qualifying time at the Naco meet in Santo Domingo.

The article explains that while Schreuders had made the qualifying time shortly before at the Tennessee Invitational, it was not valid because that event was not an International Swimming Federation-sanctioned meet, such as was the Naco Invitational.

Read his story here:

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2015/12/9/aruban-swimmer-mikel-schreuders-qualifies-2016-oly/

Dolores, since you are an authority on swimming, i would like to know from you if Alia Atkinson has already qualified for Rio.

thanks.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I understand that the way it works is…
The Olympics has minimum times the athletes must meet to enter to compete. There are limitations to the number of athletes per country. That is why it is better to swim for the Dominican Republic, that would have not filled its quota, or for Jamaica, than for the USA that has many swimmers that do the minimums.

But then you have to ensure that the country will register you for the event. It is possible the country's Olympic Committee may decide that they will not take swimming, for instance. Then, no matter if you did the qualifying times, you will not get on the team. Even if you offer to pay for the cost of adding you to the team.

Then the time must be done in an International Swimming Federation (FINA) championship. That is why the Aruba swimmer came to the Naco competition, the annual event of the highest level held in the country.