Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default active against Seaweed.

experiemntal action about the rising trouble with the Seaweed, by Grupo Punta Cana.
    Grupo Puntacana elaborará plan junto a dos empresas para frenar expansión de algas ~ Bavaro Digital

Mike

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Seaweed makes excellent fertilizer.. There is a lot of it washing asore from the Sargasso Sea at Barahona. It stinks up the beaches, they say.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

i think i remember seaweed having the most calcium

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bizzyboneizo View Post
    i think i remember seaweed having the most calcium
    I do not know, but here is an article from Barbados that deals with using it as a fertilizer.

BGIS Media - Press Releases - Feature: Curse or Blessing?: Sargassum Seaweed Explored

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You should rinse it lightly and then you can dry it and compost it or you can whirl it all into a disgusting liquid and use it as liquid fertilizer. Lots of nitrogen.

6. Likes jd426 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

wow i remember as a child my mom would ask me to help her gather. then at home we would dry it...next day put it away in the middle of winter she would take it out of storage and put it in a tub/bathtub for a soaking...a salt soak...said it was a delite...and i know that salt water cures...

8. Likes flyinroom liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

yes, it can be used as fertilizer, but the demand for such is just a very small fraction of what gets washed ashore since 4-5 years throughout the caribbean and the USA.
    it is devastating for the tourism industry all around.
    on it's prior "normal" amounts it is a very appreciated/necessary stabilizer for beaches, makes them stronger against the dangers of landloss to the ocean,
    but the amounts grew the last years to quantities far beyond any use for it.
    even taking it away from the beaches is at times impossible due the high amount washed ashore.
    it damages corals, and when taken from the beaches by machines/tractors etc too much sand is also taken away with it on daily bases, destabilizing the beaches powers against the oceans sand robberies.
    the new way is to keep it from reaching the shores in too high amounts, and let thru the naturally necessary amounts.
    there are many studies and experiemnts on the theme since years, but scientists are still on the basics.

Mike

10. Likes jstarebel, 4*4*4 liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFisher View Post
    yes, it can be used as fertilizer, but the demand for such is just a very small fraction of what gets washed ashore since 4-5 years throughout the caribbean and the USA.
    it is devastating for the tourism industry all around.
    on it's prior "normal" amounts it is a very appreciated/necessary stabilizer for beaches, makes them stronger against the dangers of landloss to the ocean,
    but the amounts grew the last years to quantities far beyond any use for it.
    even taking it away from the beaches is at times impossible due the high amount washed ashore.
    it damages corals, and when taken from the beaches by machines/tractors etc too much sand is also taken away with it on daily bases, destabilizing the beaches powers against the oceans sand robberies.
    the new way is to keep it from reaching the shores in too high amounts, and let thru the naturally necessary amounts.
    there are many studies and experiemnts on the theme since years, but scientists are still on the basics.

Mike
    Mike, in early May we saw tons of this floating all along the southern coast, they looked like huge brownish globs all bunched together. Several Dominicans who were hired to clean up our beach got itchy rashes from it.

Is this what you're seeing on the east coast? As XO mentioned, someone said it comes from the Sargasso Sea???

Administrator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

DL today writes that people are asking danilo to intervene in the case of algae. Pide a Danilo intervenir en problema de algas en las playas - DiarioLibre.com
    how? rake it with his wife's chicle dentures?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    DL today writes that people are asking danilo to intervene in the case of algae. Pide a Danilo intervenir en problema de algas en las playas - DiarioLibre.com
    how? rake it with his wife's chicle dentures?
    Thanks for that link dv8, from the photo I can see it's the same stuff that first appeared in late April early May. Disgusting stuff.

Administrator
    DR1.com

14. Likes Jaime809 liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast