huelga in la altagracia province

Aug 6, 2006
They block Highway 44 into Barahona, also known as Avenida Casandra Damir?n on a regular basis, over electricity blackouts, water shortages, and even once to legalize marijuana.
When there are more serious huelgas, the cops and the tigres from the Barrio Camboya stage battles with teargas bombs and rocks at one of two main crossings of the highway, blocking traffic to and from the main road to SD.

No one I know participates, and everyone I know says that these huelgas are useless and produce no results, other than when the occur is inconveniences everyone.
When major huelgas occur, people lock up and leave Barrio Palmerito for several hours. For the next several days, they clear the street of rocks and bomb cansters.
The tear gas comes in round blue ball shaped things, and if you touch them, it burns the skin. They are made in the USA, by the way.

Feb 7, 2007
Good that they were affected. Dale donde les duele.

The guy that was shot, I have seen the video, it was a real police abuse and immediately the colonel of P.N. requested immediate arrest of the offending policeman, he was arrested and will be processed by the fiscal. I hope he will not be released later as there is sufficient evidence of police power abuse, both in the form of witness account from respectable people of high moral character as well as videos of the event recorded by cellphones.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
it was serious even the resort where we live was warning the folk not to travel to Higuey.

Feb 7, 2007
it was serious even the resort where we live was warning the folk not to travel to Higuey.

There was actually no way to travel, other than by your own transportation.

Even transport Punta Cana/Bavaro to Santo Domingo was not operational on Tuesday and Wednesday, as the route is operated by the transport syndicate APTPRA from Higuey.